Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brighton
Posts: 6
Considering New Roo 233S/ Grand Cherokee TV

Hello, new here, this place is nice, tons of info.. here it goes. Went to our second Rv show in the last few week Sunday and got our first look at Roo travel trailers. Previously we were looking at Jayco and Coachmen models but we love the ROO 233s also would consider the 21ss and 23ss. Having only borrowed my moms pop-up and rented prior. I grew up tent camping.
My concern is with our tow vehicle, for the next two years our tow vehicle is going to be the wifes 2013 Grand Cherokee V-6, I plan on getting a Ram with a Cummins once my Wrangler is paid off. I understand I am going to be maxing out the tow capacity of 5000 lbs with any of our above choices, although I feel the 5000lb rating is very conservative. The new V-6 has 290HP/260 and is much larger than past models that were rated at or above 5000lbs.
Our camping will be done in Michigan where its fairly flat and will be within 40-120 miles from home. With sway control and the short trips, is this feasible? I am a car guy, and understand the added stress on the TV. Thoughts? Am I crazy?
__________________

__________________
Scotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotb View Post
Hello, new here, this place is nice, tons of info.. here it goes. Went to our second Rv show in the last few week Sunday and got our first look at Roo travel trailers. Previously we were looking at Jayco and Coachmen models but we love the ROO 233s also would consider the 21ss and 23ss. Having only borrowed my moms pop-up and rented prior. I grew up tent camping.
My concern is with our tow vehicle, for the next two years our tow vehicle is going to be the wifes 2013 Grand Cherokee V-6, I plan on getting a Ram with a Cummins once my Wrangler is paid off. I understand I am going to be maxing out the tow capacity of 5000 lbs with any of our above choices, although I feel the 5000lb rating is very conservative. The new V-6 has 290HP/260 and is much larger than past models that were rated at or above 5000lbs.
Our camping will be done in Michigan where its fairly flat and will be within 40-120 miles from home. With sway control and the short trips, is this feasible? I am a car guy, and understand the added stress on the TV. Thoiughts? Am I crazy?
Welcome to the forum.
Added stress is an issue but not near as much as safety for you and your family.

The weight experts will be by shortly to give you numbers.

Good luck in your search.

Have fun and good luck.

Turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
PineForestCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 319
The weight experts are on their way!!

Let me first state that I am not the expert that you are waiting patiently for. *heavy sigh and smile* What I am is a guy who wanted to take his popup and add some room to breathe by getting a new popup/TT with a slide. What I ended up doing was purchasing a Roo 233s with plans to get a different TV when the budget allowed in a couple of years. While doing my research for the HTT I stumbled onto towing discussions. I had always believed that I could tow the 233s with my current TV because of a conversation I had with an RV dealer a couple years back. I purchased a 233s in late December. I decided I'd like to run the numbers on my to be setup and see where I stand in terms of: GVWR, GCWR, RAWR, Tongue Weight, Towing Capacity, etc. I had no clue what those numbers all meant and had only even heard of Towing Capacity as this is what the dealer mentioned when he said I could tow a certain HTT and then some. I etched that number into my head when I went looking for a camper in December that is the number I used when factoring in "how big" I could go.

What I discovered was that in two of the three most important figures to look at when towing I would be over capacity (GVWR & GCWR). With the help of the unpaid experts here and my insatiable desire to learn and understand I came to the conclusion that I needed something "bigger". Some told me that it could be done with my current setup but I would have to watch what I load in terms of gear, passengers in both the TT & TV. I began to wonder if I would be watching every ounce that would come along. No one outright told me that it cant be done. The guys here are great that way. They dont come on too strong and dont want to make conclusions for you. They want you to see the reality and be able to make the decision yourself.

As I said I'm not the expert and I wont be pulling your setup either. I do hope you go into this with an open mind. I'm still not sure where my budget will come out when all is said and done but I do believe with absolute confidence that I am where I need to be now to have safe and enjoyable tows that will include towering mtn trips. I have yet to tow my TT home. I have to wait six weeks to do that. Thats when numbers on paper become reality!

Have fun!
__________________
2009 Chevy Silverado/2500/6.0/3.73/CC
2016 Keystone Outback 250URS
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s (SOLD)

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Hi ScotB! Welcome from another Scott.

We have the 233S and tow with a Sequoia and, as you can see from my sig, we are a family of 5 with dog. I have a few thoughts for you.

First - I applaud you in doing your research ahead of time.
Its easy to want to buy the trailer regardless of your truck's ability to tow it but no one here is going to tell you that its a good idea and that all will be fine anyway. Keep in mind that, even if the ratings are overstated, they are there for a reason. Its up to you to knowingly tow a combo that surpasses the capabilities of your TV.

I assume by your choice of trailer that you have a few kids or another need for three beds. One problem with a family-sized SUV is the TV's payload, so pay special attention to that and make sure you plan ahead. In my case, the payload is almost taken up by the tongue weight, all people, dog and any cargo and mods in the truck.

The 233S is currently rated dry at 4,300lbs and can be loaded up to about 6,300lbs. As you have already stated, you will most certainly be over the 5,000lb limit of the Grand Cherokee and probably far over it. The prudence of towing this comb is both a safety and mechanical issue. For example, its generally a bad idea to tow a trailer that is heavier than your vehicle is rated for. Easy for the tail to begin wagging the dog. Even on short trips. There's just not a safe margin of error when the unexpected occurs and you need to initiate an emergency maneuver. Sure, its probably fine in the perfect scenarios, but you really should plan for the worst case.

This Travel Trailer Weight Calculator is useful from a number of perspectives. One is matching your TT and TV. The other is in playing around to fully understand the dynamics involved and how they interrelate.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,260
just telling us that the GC has a v-6, isn't enough info.

is it the Penastar v-6 and does it have the factory tow package?
also, how many will be in the GC and how much cargo do you usually have in it?

anyway, all three of the Roos you mentioned, have GVWR's well over your 5000lbs. number.

if your GC really only can tow 5000lbs.(which is rated with only a 150lb. driver in it), then no matter which one, you'll easily be at or over the 5000lbs. max.

here's some real numbers. my '07 Roo 23SS(with normal options), weighed 4471lbs. from the factory, before propane, water, battery and cargo. and that was when they were 7 1/2 ft. wide. now they're 8' wide. and the 233S weighs more.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brighton
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi ScotB! Welcome from another Scott.

We have the 233S and tow with a Sequoia and, as you can see from my sig, we are a family of 5 with dog. I have a few thoughts for you.

First - I applaud you in doing your research ahead of time.
Its easy to want to buy the trailer regardless of your truck's ability to tow it but no one here is going to tell you that its a good idea and that all will be fine anyway. Keep in mind that, even if the ratings are overstated, they are there for a reason. Its up to you to knowingly tow a combo that surpasses the capabilities of your TV.

I assume by your choice of trailer that you have a few kids or another need for three beds. One problem with a family-sized SUV is the TV's payload, so pay special attention to that and make sure you plan ahead. In my case, the payload is almost taken up by the tongue weight, all people, dog and any cargo and mods in the truck.

The 233S is currently rated dry at 4,300lbs and can be loaded up to about 6,300lbs. As you have already stated, you will most certainly be over the 5,000lb limit of the Grand Cherokee and probably far over it. The prudence of towing this comb is both a safety and mechanical issue. For example, its generally a bad idea to tow a trailer that is heavier than your vehicle is rated for. Easy for the tail to begin wagging the dog. Even on short trips. There's just not a safe margin of error when the unexpected occurs and you need to initiate an emergency maneuver. Sure, its probably fine in the perfect scenarios, but you really should plan for the worst case.

This Travel Trailer Weight Calculator is useful from a number of perspectives. One is matching your TT and TV. The other is in playing around to fully understand the dynamics involved and how they interrelate.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!
Appreciate the link to the Weight Calculator, going to have to do some research to figure out what all those numbers are and where to find them...

bikendan: Yes it is the Pentastar V-6 and has factory tow.

We have two small kids, 4 and 6 and a little dog. We want the extra space for grandparents and friends.
How much gear? We will be doing weekend trips, mostly especially for this season. We are a little new to this... so I am not really sure I would guess this would be minimal at first but may grow over time.
__________________
Scotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jamestown NY
Posts: 588
We had a Grand Cherokee with the straight 6 in it, and towed a ROO 23SS. The straight 6 has more low end torque for towing then the V-6 and it was a REAL struggle to tow the 23SS with it. Speeds would drop to 40 going up even the slightest hills. Towed the 23SS 2 times and KNEW there was no way to tow with the Jeep on anything but FLAT LAND! Your towing experience with the V-6 will be even more disappointing. With use there were only 2 adults and minumum gear in the trl and all water tanks empty.
__________________

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brighton
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
We had a Grand Cherokee with the straight 6 in it, and towed a ROO 23SS. The straight 6 has more low end torque for towing then the V-6 and it was a REAL struggle to tow the 23SS with it. Speeds would drop to 40 going up even the slightest hills. Towed the 23SS 2 times and KNEW there was no way to tow with the Jeep on anything but FLAT LAND! Your towing experience with the V-6 will be even more disappointing. With use there were only 2 adults and minumum gear in the trl and all water tanks empty.

I have to respectfully disagree that the 3.6l Pentastar would be worse than a 4.0l. I was and am a huge fan of the Jeep 4.0 and have owned a few. The pentastar has almost as much power as the 4.7 V-8. Maybe you are thinking of the 3.7 V-6? If driving one for the first time you would never know it is a V-6.
__________________
Scotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
RedStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 265
I know nothing about a GC and the towing capabilities, but I'd like to add that we recently purchased a 23ss. My tow vehicle is a 2012 F150 Ecoboost - regular tow package, not max tow). Supposedly, I can tow quite the trailer weight wise, but what most of us half ton pickup truck owners learn is that the payload capacity limits what we can pull. I can only assume that your GC's payload and potentially other weights will need to be considered.

I've done all the math I can do short of obtaining a doctorate in towing capabilities. I am going to hit the scales on our way this weekend for trip to see what everything looks like loaded, ready for camping. Per my math I'm am fine, but I don't have but 300 or so lbs to play with per my payload capacity. My goal is to see how it tows and weighs (especially the tongue weight) with just a bit of fresh water loaded and to see if I need to adjust how I pack the Roo in preparation for a 5 day trip during spring break.

Do the safe thing and weigh your vehicle - dot the i's cross the t's. Assume that you load the trailer to the max and go from there. Make sure the numbers work without putting you, your family and others in harms way.

Good luck to you!!!! Keep us posted!
__________________
2013 Rockwood Roo 23ss
2012 F150 Ecoboost

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,559
The only V6 JGC I would tow with is the Older Blutec or next years VM diesels. I think you will be pushing your limits with the V6.
__________________

__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
233, 233s

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.