Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

Question Couple issues with new 2014 23ss

Couple of questions for you helpful folks. I took delivery of my 23ss a couple of weeks and couldn't be happier. Your opinions were spot on and it is a fantastic trailer. Loved how easy it was to get ready for camping. It was sure nice having all the extra space for when it was raining. In the 5 days of camping I made sure to try everything out. Furnace got a workout on a couple nights as it dipped into the 40's. Summer did not last long enough here in Manitoba. Of the systems only 1 issue. One burner on the stove won't light. Other 2 and the oven work great. Any thoughts on what it could be or just best to put in a warrantee claim?
The other issue I am seeing is water getting in the front bunk when the door is closed. It isn't much but there is some water in the canvas when I open it after we have had a rain. I just wanted to check to make sure that it should be dry.
hereIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
kpm

Hello and welcome. I am not sure about the burner. Do you hear gas flowing? Do you see any loose hoses? I have not worked with mine so my knowledge is limited. Be careful working with the gas.

I have had a very similar experience as you with the bunk end leaks. As a new 2014 23ss owner, I was faced with both bunks leaking and water would enter the trailer. I was quite dissapointed and worried that my brand new trailer was getting damaged.

Please see several of my previous posts as well as a thread that I started about my issue.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aks-60553.html

Plus there are many other posts about this issue. Just do a search for "bunk end leaks" or wet bunk etc...

I would argue that you should not have any water working it's way behind the bunk door when it is closed. Many happy owners will tell you that their Roo has never leaked. So that was my goal as a remedy to my issue. After two visits to the dealer and careful documentation on my part, my issue was resolved. They did a number of things ranging from adding caulk, adjusting the door closing pressure and replacing the black foam seal.

For starters, I would carefully monitor the issue and take notes. Ask... Is the water penetrating the black seal or coming in from somewhere else? I've read on here where water can come down through those marker lights and into the trailer. Also inspect the actual seal itself. are there any cracks, cuts or holes in it? Are the horizontal and vertical foam strips flush when they meet, creating a good seal. Is it a gap where they meet? If so water could get in. That was part of my problem.

Can you duplicate the issue with a garden hose? I would try to because this might help point the dealer in the right direction.

Let me assure you that there is light at the end of the tunnel. The people here in the forum are very helpful and Forrest River stood behind their product for me. My repairs were made in a timely fashion with no hassel from the dealer.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

We to have a new camper w/ leaking beds. Our problem is the rubber seals don't meet up with each around the bunk doors. Forest River warranty all seals for us. Good luck!
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

One of our burners wouldn't ignite during inspection. It took a few tries to get it going. Haven't had any issues since. Our rear bunk gets damp if we close up after a heavy storm when the canvas is still wet. We open up and air out as soon as we get home and all is good! Good luck!
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Broken Toe

Couple of tips for the bunk.

#1 I ALWAYS wipe down the seal and seal area with a slightly damp rag before closing up. It seems counter-intuitive, but it seems to seal up better on a slightly damp surface than on a completely dry one. This also makes sure you have no debris in the seal ares. A single stray piece of string or straw can be a wick that will allow moisture in.

#2 Always open the front door, or at least a vent to aid in keeping the canvas out of the seal area. I have also tried just turning on the vent fan, to suck the canvas into place, but opening the door seems to work just as good. check and recheck that you have no canvas (or anything else) stuck in the seal areas. I usually take 4 or so "back and forth" checks from side to side as I close up to make sure the seals are clear.

#3 tighter is not always better on a rubber seal. Avoid the temptation to add a shim to the locking mechanism. If water is getting in, there is a reason, and 'not tight enough" usually ain't it.

Following these rules, I am (knocking wood) going on my 3rd season with nary a drop past my seals.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #6

We have a Shamrock 19 and the front bed was leaking after a trip in the spring. Got home and looked at it and the black seal had a gap on one side. Warranty covered it, the dealer put in a thicker seal. No problems since.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
blsst16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereIam View Post
Of the systems only 1 issue. One burner on the stove won't light. Other 2 and the oven work great. Any thoughts on what it could be or just best to put in a warrantee claim?
If it is the burner next to the side of the stove (front left) open/lift up the metal cover on the stove. Look to see if the igniter wire is shorting out to the side of the stove. This happened during PDI, tech added heat shrink and bent it over a little so there was more of an air gap.

Tags
2014, 23ss