Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #1

covers

Is it a good thing to cover your camper when not in use? I owned a pop up and I was told not to cover it, I just traded in the pop up for a Roo and was just curious about covering it
Schaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaal
Is it a good thing to cover your camper when not in use? I owned a pop up and I was told not to cover it, I just traded in the pop up for a Roo and was just curious about covering it
I think you'll find mixed reviews.

I don't cover mine but it's stored in doors during the winter .

Good luck !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Site Team

since you don't list where you live in your signature, it may depend on what area you live in.
for us, we get at lot of sun and the decals have been damaged as a result.

we bought an ADCO cover for sun protection, for protecting the roof also.
we got ours off of Ebay, used only once for around $125.

some buy one for snow or rain protection.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Covers are one of the big debates on each of the trailer forums that I frequent. Ask 10 people if they cover and half say yes and half say no.

In full disclosure, I would store in a barn if I had easy access to one, so I use an ADCO cover.

Here's my take on the debate.

Those who use a cover typically say that it needs to be a good fitted cover that will breathe. The two keys are "fitted" and "breathe". Fitted covers will reduce or eliminate the problem with wind blowing the cover and causing the finish to rub off in areas. Breatheability is important to let the moisture out.

The nice thing about these covers is that you have a clean trailer when Spring comes around.

ADCO is a popular but expensive brand of cover. CalMark is a very good and very pricey brand.

Whatever you do, do not use a plastic tarp! A plastic tarp does not breathe effectively and may cause mildew and mold. Many people have reported rubbing issues on their trailer; especially if you are in a windy area.

Now, for those who don't believe in the covers.

Those who have used a cover and don't any more say that the cover was a PITA to install and take off and sometimes ripped or broke off pieces of their trailer like the rain spouts. We use tennis balls on our downspouts. Easy on and off and no tears.

They will say that a trailer is meant to be outside and they typically point to the trailers sitting all winter on the dealer's lot as proof. Take that for what it is. Dealer's store outside because the alternative is expensive. They would store indoors if possible.

More importantly, these campers say that cold, snow and rain should not cause problems if, and this is important, we do a good job cleaning and maintaining the roof. Every time you clean the roof you need to inspect the sealants around all of the openings and the seams on the roof. You need to thoroughly inspect the roof sealants for potential leaks and reseal any areas of the seams and around openings where you suspect a leak. It also helps to tilt your trailer so that water can drain off as much as possible and not pool any more than necessary.

So, there's no right answer. Actually, the right answer would be to store in a covered area, but not everyone can do that so you can choose to cover or not. Just take the proper precautions with either method and you'll be fine.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

I live in NJ, and my camper sits in my backyard with the sun constantly beating on it
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What triguy said above

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #7

thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it
Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
kwillmott

you should definitely cover it. We covered it the first winter and then the second winter we didn't and it leaked and had severe water and now mold damage.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #9

Ordered an Adco a couple days ago. Looking forward to slowing down the aging of the TT. For those that use a cover, what do you do about the radio antenna? Just lay it over?
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
For those that use a cover, what do you do about the radio antenna? Just lay it over?
Yep! also, cover sharp spots with foam.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Ordered an Adco a couple days ago. Looking forward to slowing down the aging of the TT. For those that use a cover, what do you do about the radio antenna? Just lay it over?
Loosen the screw at the pivot, and lay the antenna down.
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

That's right, Len. Lay the antenna down.

I also cut an X in tennis balls and pop them on each rain spout. It works well.

I haven't had to do this, but my neighbor uses pool noodles on some sharp corners with their trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice Surely didn't want to damage the cover or antenna.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #14

I used a cover for a few years on our old Starcraft Hybrid. Living in Northern Illinois, we go through a lot of freeze/unfreeze cycles at the beginning and end of winter. Ice buildup in the bunk seals can do some major damage. But now that I've got our Roo inside a barn, I don't bother with the cover. I understand the point about a plastic cover not letting it breathe. But on the other hand, one local dealer offers a full trailer shrink wrap service like you see on boats for $10/foot.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
Steve Jackson

Any suggestions for someone who doesn't have a cover right now? Is there any precautions that can be taken till a cover can be bought? Should I wrap the antenna in a plastic contractor bag, cover the AC unit, etc? I just don't have the funds to get one this year but will next year for sure.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I've not heard of the need to wrap the antenna, so I can't answer that one.

As for what to do if you store outside but without a cover, much of its the same as with a cover:

• Sweep and wash the roof. Reapply Dicor or Alpha sealant to any seams or seals that looked cracked or in need of a touch-up. Make sure to check the sides of the trailer along with the roof. Dicor makes a LAP sealant that is non-leveling (for the sides) and one for self-leveling (the roof).
  • Cover the tires.

Things you can do without a cover includes covering the inside of your windows with dark paper to postpone fading of the curtains and sofa if it sits in direct sunlight for much of the day.

You can add an AC cover on the roof.

2012 Shamrock 233S