Old 08-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #11

My two cents, I also thought that covers were a waste of money. I used to live in the desert of Southern California and heat and sun fade were the worst things down there and a cover at that time would most likely itself be wrecked in a season. Now living in North Idaho and keeping our trailers on our property with trees everywhere, I use a cover because of the damage accumulated tree bits, leaves, twigs, etc, DID cause to our 5th wheel by accumulating and keeping water in those spots.
And with our 2009 travel trailer a manufacturers defect was found after water had frozen in the incorrectly attached roof to front cap causing a leak when it melted that flooded the walls and cabinets on one side of the bedroom. We got that fixed, $1200.00 and a year later bought a Wildcat Maxx. I had a cover for that '09 trailer too, after what had happened, never another water issue.
As I'm not willing to "test the waters" again I keep it covered unless we're on a trip! We plan on building covered parking for the trailers to keep off, snow, tree stuff and such. But until then a cover costs way less than another repair job, that wasn't covered by our extended warranty! But that's another story altogether!
So I'm on the 'get a cover side'.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #12

I always cover my tt. Sun here in Colorado is a killer and wind. I have no issues with tears and rips most of the time a few small ones. I have an adco cover and most times I get five yrs of use out of a cover. Sun rot is the main killer for me. When I cover it I tape cardboard to the 4 bottom corners put then my cover on.
I have 4 of these straps I bought at harbor freight
3300 lb. Capacity 2 in. x 27 ft. Heavy Duty RatchetingTie Down 1 Pc
that I put over the covered tt and chinch them up I have very little wind movement of the cover.
Works for me is all I can say.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #13

tarp over cover

after going thru 2 covers in 2 years due to western pa winter winds. the third cover I covered with a vinyl tarp. sounds like over kill but adco cover keeps trailer from scratches , vinyl tarp keeps it dry. just tie the heck out of it. 5 years now and still ready for this winter.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #14

This is awesome input (as always on this forum)! Thanks. I think we will try a cover but maybe also put a vinyl tarp over the top. Since we are not cold-weather campers it will likely sit from October to April. That's a lot of time in the Colorado, high-altitude sun. I expect the covers will wear out but if I can get 2-3 years out of a cover then I'll be happy. That's a lot less than paying to have it stored under cover for 7 months. ;-)
Old 08-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Well, guess I'm on the other side of the fence with this one. We did buy a cover for our 23IKSS last fall and kept it covered from mid-November thru mid-March. Both the cover and the camper held up well. We live just below Charlotte, NC and keeping the sun off of it for four months will (IMHO) make it last longer. We had no issues with the Adco cover. It is very well made. There are some tips to protect it from tears such as putting tennis balls on the rain gutters, wrapping something around the TV antenna, etc. You just want to be sure there is nothing sharp that can cause a tear or hole.
Here is the cover we use:

Attachment 87403

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thanks, Don. So that Adco model was a good fit for our 23IKSSs?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #16

Covers For Winter Storage

I heard covers are not a great thing to have on an RV since they capture humidity and the RV should be able to breath. Anyone else heard this? Could do more damage than good.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhroo View Post
Thanks, Don. So that Adco model was a good fit for our 23IKSSs?
Yes, that size cover is perfect for the 23IKSS.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
I heard covers are not a great thing to have on an RV since they capture humidity and the RV should be able to breath. Anyone else heard this? Could do more damage than good.
You are correct - the RV needs to breathe. The Adco cover that I posted has built in vents to prevent moisture build up. Using something like a tarp on the other hand has the potential to trap moisture which in turn could cause mold or rot.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #19

The 1st one I fold over ends tie with twine, then tie it on the sides putting twine under trailer up the sides
I do the same with the top cover , using canvas clamps on the end folds
I have 21 ft shamrock. And the canvas just below bottom and use bungs were I can

Get good winds here and have no problems

Ps I make a Box out of fome insulation from h depto with rounded edges for the TV antana and my radio antana is a little nub I got off eBay
Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM   #20

We stored our 2014 23ikss without a cover last winter. I was so unhappy with the mess that collected on the roof and on the awnings that I purchased an Adco cover in June.

Tags
cover, storage, winter