Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Covers for Winter Storage?

Any recommendations on a cover for our 23IKSS while we store it over the winter? I realize that it is not quite yet time to put it to bed but I don't want to wait until the last minute. We'll probably do this in late October. (We are in Colorado near Denver.) I have looked at some of the covers on Amazon but some of them have some pretty harsh reviews about the covers coming apart in the wind or having other quality issues. Also would be interested in whether or not anyone has used one with the 23IKSS and if so what size fits best.

drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
After 30 years of RVing I thought I should do something. First one lasted three weeks in the winds of east county. Never installed the replacement, rather sold it as fast as I could. Covers are good to protect against sun fade. But thats when most folks want to go camping.

donniedu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
In my opinion, you will find you get tons of people that are for covers and tons against it. I haven't nearly been RVing as long as alot of folks on here but, growing up, my parents and grandparents never covered their RV's. My neighbor, his parents, and his inlaws all cover their RV's and have forever. I got a great deal on a cover so I thought I'd try it out. It's a CAMCO cover for my 36' Keystone Sprinter but, it works great. We have terrible winds here in the winter but, there are straps that go under the camper to the other side and hold it down tight. There are also buckling straps on the rear and front of the cover to hold them tight and there are breathable areas within the cover that keeps the air flow moving and the cover never flaps around. We have had no issues.

Personally, the only benefit I saw was that it kept it clean over the winter and I saw no damage from the cover.

Good luck sorting through all the opinions!
2012 Keystone Sprinter
Still sticking around for the good people and advice.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Well, guess I'm on the other side of the fence with this one. We did buy a cover for our 23IKSS last fall and kept it covered from mid-November thru mid-March. Both the cover and the camper held up well. We live just below Charlotte, NC and keeping the sun off of it for four months will (IMHO) make it last longer. We had no issues with the Adco cover. It is very well made. There are some tips to protect it from tears such as putting tennis balls on the rain gutters, wrapping something around the TV antenna, etc. You just want to be sure there is nothing sharp that can cause a tear or hole.
Here is the cover we use:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1441031826.494951.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	87403

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
I live in a similar climate (Utah) and I have used anADCO cover for the last 5 years on a 2004 model. It's held up well but it is starting to fray where the wind blows it against the corners on the trailer.

I haven't noticed much difference in the aging of the trailers exterior with it or without it, so I would pass unless you are trying to keep your unit pristine.
rrfullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

I my self am in Denver too
I go to Harber Freight an get 2 tarps they last 2years

#47676 11x18 put on roof 1st

#60452 19x29 cover roof and the hole trailer

Hope that helps
fisherracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Echo flagstaffer....have seen many posts for and many posts against covers. My selling dealer actually advised against getting one...actually it was the service adviser. In his opinion, the potential of damage to the roof, antennas, and gutters wasn't worth any perceived benefit the cover would provide. For what it's worth, I have a 2015 ikss , I live in Indiana, and I didn't cover it last winter. Was it the right thing to do? Dunno....time will tell.
jking46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
Best cove. To buy is gold line lot of money but so is the M H lot of work to put on
Takes me about. A hour or so to put on 013 BH after each Trip wash and cover
Park in direct sun no shade with out cover inside temp over 100f with cover low 80sss also roof like new all calking like new
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
@Fisherracing -
What do you use to fasten them - where on the trailer do you fasten it? Especially the roof one.
rkmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
The straps go under the unit I live next to ocean lot of wind I put plastic wire ties through
The strap. Clips As a backup only get 2 or 3 years out of cover wind always blowing 10 to 15 mph here on a good day

Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote

cover, storage, winter