Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Broken Toe

Dammit! But no permanent harm

Found out something interesting about 21ss/21SSL campers today...

Apparently, if you leave the bathroom door open to just the right angle while you are running in the slide, you can jam the wall of the slide into the door, bend the crap out of the door hinges, and almost rip the entire bathroom door out of the frame. The plastic door 'casing' pulled loose off the wall on the outside of the bathroom, and the bottom door hinge was bent to about a 90 angle. This put the door off kilter so it wouldn't close.

Luckily, no wood was really broken. I just had to get out the trusty electric screwgun, and pull out the 6 hinge screws and 4 casing screws. The casing snapped back in place over the edges of the wall, and apparently, the hinges are made out of old beer cans because a pair of pliers made quick work of straitening the hinge tabs back out. Put the screws back in and it looked like it never happened.

Learn from my lesson people! Make sure your bathroom door is CLOSED before you run your slide in.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Found out something interesting about 21ss/21SSL campers today...

Apparently, if you leave the bathroom door open to just the right angle while you are running in the slide, you can jam the wall of the slide into the door, bend the crap out of the door hinges, and almost rip the entire bathroom door out of the frame. The plastic door 'casing' pulled loose off the wall on the outside of the bathroom, and the bottom door hinge was bent to about a 90 angle. This put the door off kilter so it wouldn't close.

Luckily, no wood was really broken. I just had to get out the trusty electric screwgun, and pull out the 6 hinge screws and 4 casing screws. The casing snapped back in place over the edges of the wall, and apparently, the hinges are made out of old beer cans because a pair of pliers made quick work of straitening the hinge tabs back out. Put the screws back in and it looked like it never happened.

Learn from my lesson people! Make sure your bathroom door is CLOSED before you run your slide in.

Tim
You're not supposed to tell anybody about doing stunts like this!

Oh, the fun of being a rv owner!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

We all appreciate you "fessin" up, since we're all likely to do the oops at some point as well. Happy to hear it was fixable!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

Since this is confession time...

I did the same thing to a cabinet door that was either left open or came open during travel. Didn't know those slide motors were so strong!

Can you say, add to the checklist.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Ripped the slide out trim off 3 times. Now I check

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote