Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

Damn Canadian Winters!

So my DW went to the Roo to retrieve some stuff and I thought, hmmm, maybe I'll have a look see. Well glad I did! Front bunk door seal was leaking and I had a nice large chunk of ice in the canvas and a bunch of water laying around. Luckily it was 5C and I could open the bunk up and clean it. I decided to remove the outer white seal and place some shim material under the latches and was able to compress the inner seal. I took a flashlight and crawled up under the canvas to have a look at the seal. It is making contact all the way around so, fingers crossed. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it for the rest of the winter season.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ouch!
So was it bad seals or the latches not tightening down far enough?

Glad you caught that early and wish you the best in finding the problem that needs fixing.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

baldy, had the same problem with our ROO. It seems the door frame isn't strong enough to support the weight of 2 people sleeping on it and it bends in the middle with use. I climbed up on the propane tanks and could see a 3/8" gap at the center of the door at the top when closed, even with shims under the latches. I used good old DUCT TAPE to seal across the top edge of the door. This was even after installing the upgraded seals from FR. Sold the ROO for a Rockwood Ultra Lite last summer to solve the leak issue.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Sold the ROO for a Rockwood Ultra Lite last summer to solve the leak issue.
Wish that was an option! We looked and kept coming up with a 30' TT to suit our needs/wants and that is just too much trailer for what we want. My parents have the one we want and may wait until they are done with it. Love the tent ends though.

The issue from what I can see is that the outer seal and the lack of latch pressure was not allowing the inner (primary) seal to make proper contact with the frame of the bunk end. I checked the bunk for deformation and can't see any but time will tell. Hopefully this will solve my dilemma.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

baldy: as you discribe it is exactly the issue I had. Picture the door opened and bowed down in the center at the outer edge where the seals are. When closed it will be bowed out in the center along the outer edge. If you had a way with the door open to push up in the center along the seal edge and pull down on the 2 corners then you'd be able to bow the door back into alignment. We bought the Rockwood 2604 Ultra-Lite, it's not that much heavier then our 23SS but has 2x the room, and NO CLIMBING OVER EACH OTHER to get out of bed in the middle of the night!!!!

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Badly: you cannot blame the Canadian winter because of your bed platform is bowing and leaking. I am surprised that this sandwitched board is bowing because they are very strong. If your trailer is still on warranty and even out I would contact forest river for their say on this matter.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #7

Well it worked! Went out today after all the Great White North January rain and it was dry. The door is not bowed. It wasn't making contact with the seal. Now it is sealed and dry. The next test would be to tow in the rain and see if the seal integrity can hold up to that.