Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Darkening Bunks

We are heading camping in 2 weeks and the wife decided last night was a good time to discuss the baby having her naps and the fact that we will need to darken the bunk ends so that she will sleep (as we have her room at home very dark).

Outside of ordering Gizmos does anyone have any good ideas/setups fo us to do this? A blanket inside would works well if there were 3 bars. The single center bar doesn't work that well i have found...

Looking for any suggestions.

2013 F-150 XTR Ecoboost 4x4, 3.73 w/Equalizer
2014 Roo 233s
Nights camped 2014: 28
Nights camped 2013: 17
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Unfortunately, I don't think there's much more than gizmos that you can do. When we had the popup, we'd usually just drop one of the beds in the box and close off the bunks. Between the tinted windows and curtains, it was fairly dark. The bunk end insulation issues was the main factor for us in going to a TT instead of the HW296 we were originally looking at. I liked the Roo's for the amount of space you gained, but just couldn't find a floor plan we liked without being too heavy for our current vehicles.

What I would suggest, looking at your floor plan, is to drop the dinette into a bed and hang some dark curtains that you can move when not in use across it and use that as a bed for naps.

2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Have you considered the Reflectix mod for darkening the tent ends? Reflectix is basically bubble wrap with foil on both sides. Not only will it help darken the tent ends but also help isulate it a little.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Where is the light coming in from? The top canvas of the bunk, the window, the rest of the camper?

I would expect that the gizmos darken the top of the bunk quite a bit.

For the windows, you could do Reflectix cut to shape.

And for the rest of the camper- maybe some 3M Command hooks and a couple of towels?
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
The tent ends mainly. Looking to cover them for her mid day nap (right around 12:30pm).

I have looked for the reflextic mod and will look more into that maybe. I know so many people swear by their gizmos. Not sure if they are worth the cost here seeing as we only camp on weekends and the Great White North doesn't get to the point where the AC wouldn't be enough to keep it cool....afterall we did come from a popup with no AC and we survived in there for years...tents before that
2013 F-150 XTR Ecoboost 4x4, 3.73 w/Equalizer
2014 Roo 233s
Nights camped 2014: 28
Nights camped 2013: 17
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant
if you don't want to get the custom fitted PUGs, then buy a couple of the generic 5x7 thermal/solar/all-weather/sportsmen blankets and put them on.
you may want to buy 3, since the front bunk is longer and one 5x7 won't cover it completely.
average cost is around $13-$14 each and are available at REI, Cablelas, Campmor and various internet sites.

they do more that just reflect heat. they help darken the tent end, they help keep the canvas clean, they help retain heat when it's cold and they help cut down condensation.

they are the #1 Hybrid mod.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Build a little tent on your bunk end mattress. You could put a blanket or tarp on the inside over the shepard crook and anchor it under the mattress sides. You would also have to ventilate with the fans but that may be easy since they clip to the pole.
grubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
peapod tent

Have you considered an actual tent? When ours were little, we bought a peapod tent and set it in the bunk. We weren't concerned about light so much, but rather them getting up in the night and falling off the bunk. We would put them in the tent and zip it up. You could do the same, but throw a blanket over it or something to darken it. The peapod folds to about nothing, springs open by itself and has a nice carrying cover. Here is a link to one on amazon: : PeaPod Travel Bed in Cranberry by Kidco : Infant And Toddler Travel Beds : Baby
tnlvsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
I would think putting a tarp over the bunkend while sleeping for naps would work if you don't want Gizmo. Buy a small cheap tarp to see if it does what you need in that area if so then go for the larger one. You can easily add sticky velcro to camper and tarp to keep it in place while needed.
This was the reason why I made my custom Gizmos to cover the whole bunk. Makes it darker = kids sleeping in longer.
2014 Rockwood Roo 233S
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.8L V8 Crewmax
2 girls and 2 dogs
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
How old is the child? Does she sleep in a crib? When we started out our son (the one graduating high school) was 3 months old and slept in a Pak-N-Play. Nap time was a simple matter of shrouding that to make a dark cave. We could still see in and the open side prevented it from getting too hot.

When he was older (3 years?) getting him settled for a much needed nap (needed by parents more than the kid) was a challenge. But that was as much a noise and excitement factor than it was light.

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote