Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #41

In the process of moving the TV I discovered that the Audio out jacks are plugged into the wrong jacks in the back of the IRV unit, getting only the left channel. They were plugged into the input (wrong) jacks on the tv to begin with....WTF are the qualifications for someone to work at FR doing the wiring....and doesn't say much more for their QC dept neither.
Plus the antenna cable was 6" to short for the outside....But have 18" of slack inside.
There have been several of the same issues experienced by different owners...That in its self shows that FR needs to address this.
I will be pulling out my IRV, Unhooking EVERYTHING and start from scratch. I'm not a trained electronics installer but I'm sure I can do better.......

The HDMI Mod was on here someplace, I have given up looking for it....He ran a HDMI cable over to the outside antenna hookup, and that gives you the outside speakers since the one in the TV itself are worthless outside.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #42

Rockwood Roo

I owned a 23SS Roo for six year and experienced minimal leakage through the tent ends, even through heavy thunderstorms. Wettest that encountered was generally along the hinge. If water does not run out of the gutter fast enough, water can wick up along the hinge.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #43

[QUOTE=yetavon;874456]In the process of moving the TV I discovered that the Audio out jacks are plugged into the wrong jacks in the back of the IRV unit, getting only the left channel...
QUOTE]

On the Genesis radio in my HTT, they wired only the left channel to the internal speakers (A) left and (B) left were used. Since the radio doesn't have a fader, they used the L+R balance for inside and outside speakers (Outside was attached correctly to the (C) channel).
Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #44

That antenna cable is so goofy. I was fortunate that I had extra cable with me but it is such an easy thing they could address.

I found that I have lines running along the screen if I pass the hdmi through the irv33. I am not looking forward to taking it out to verify its not just a cord issue so may try and tackle several mods at once. I sure notice a lot of hiss from that thing at low volumes as well.

I returned to close up the dried out tent ends today. It definitely was not as smooth doing it alone. I am still getting a feel for how far the mattresses need to pull forward. I do appreciate the short tongue...moving back and forth shoving stray canvas in while closing it is much easier. I don't know how you front deckers keep from smashing your knees. I did smash my head on the overhead shelf finally. It felt like a rite of passage.

So I was thinking today about my pugs and I have an idea I might try. Why not take a couple really strong suction cups with hooks and place them on the camper sides or in the opening where people place Velcro. Then, use awning deflappers or tarp clamps on the gizmos (optional step). Finally, take a couple bungee ball things and connect the two together in order to keep the pug snug and eliminate the dreaded slide down the canvas. Optionally just bungee around the pug cords.

This probably made no sense. I am a little off after the overhead shelf assault. I will try it and if it works snap some photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #45

....uuurrr.... That stinking overhead shelf!! Gets me right square on the top of my head, compresses my top vertibrae into my shoulders, then an uncontrollable hunch, ringing in the ears...followed by words that scare the children!!!
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #46

RooVader-On our old PUP, the pool noodle (one straight split cut into it) would stay up between the roof and the canvas with nothing else to hold it. The noodle just diverted some of the water that cascaded off the roof as we kept it pitched a little forward to promote drainage. I was thinking of several differet options to secure the PUGS. One is just to run the PUG between the noodle and the canvas and see if it held along with the side clamps and bungees. Second idea is to clamp (standard large office paper clamp-also called a binder clip) the PUG to the noodle on the side that is closest to the interior. Third idea is to velcro the PUG to the pool noodle. The first three ideas leave the noodle as a rain gutter. The last idea is to run the PUG between the noodle and the camper roof and then let the PUG flow out over the bunk end. This would not allow the noodle to act as a gutter anymore, just a wedge with no hard edges. I'm not keen on the last idea, but I thought I would throw it out there. I need the DH to try these ideas, as I am vertically challenged. I won't be able to get pictures for a week or so.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Since the radio doesn't have a fader, they used the L+R balance for inside and outside speakers.
That would mess with the stereo recordings.....would hate to have to run in and out to listen to Skynyrd.
2011 HD Road King
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #48

Thanks, great explanation! I think I might try my suck-a-pug trick first, then when that inevitably fails I will do a little noodle testing.

Roo crew that described the shelf incident perfectly. I had a moment where I had to take inventory on whether I was in fact still alive. I had visions of not being discovered until years later when a future family purchased the roo and opened the slide. Of course at that point I would be named RooZombie and I would totally ruin their shakedown cruise.

Let's be careful out there team roo!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #49

I warned you about the shelve...But I still find mine on occasion.
Good thing we were at home, had an extra cable.
Closing...did you use the fans? Ours is a breeze to close up. It is a stretch to step around the hitch though.
2011 HD Road King
Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roocrew1 View Post
....uuurrr.... That stinking overhead shelf!! Gets me right square on the top of my head, compresses my top vertibrae into my shoulders, then an uncontrollable hunch, ringing in the ears...followed by words that scare the children!!!

I never hit that but every time I bend down in the front or rear I forget the bunks are down and Whack the back or top of the head now I kneel down so no more head whacks can't afford anymore brain cell loss....lol

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
That would mess with the stereo recordings.....would hate to have to run in and out to listen to Skynyrd.
Just stand in the door, one ear inside, one ear outside, and be glad that Quadraphonic went by the wayside a long time ago.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #52

Haha, yes you did warn me. I did use the fans but I had some canvas stick out at the top of all places. On the other end i didn't get the mattresses quite right and the hoop bar was pressing up against the bathroom wall pretty hard.

Practice makes perfect. Thinking about taking it out alone this weekend for more practice...and more mods! I will try to resist rambling on in this thread though...I promise. My chatter is getting noisier than my irv33. Actually, I shouldn't harsh too much on the irv, the iphone app worked pretty great. The bluetooth feature as well. Now if only it sounded even remotely decent.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
Just stand in the door, one ear inside, one ear outside, and be glad that Quadraphonic went by the wayside a long time ago.
That's why I rewired it and put in a fader.
PS The A channel has a sub out so I also added an 8" subwoofer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3530.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	78233  
Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #54

I had to bail on camping this weekend so trip 2 updates will have to wait a week. My lovely wife had a little mishap with my truck turning at a bank drive-thru so going to spend time getting estimates. She stole my truck a few weeks ago because she likes how it plays songs off of her phone. Hey, everyone has their priorities...who am i to judge?

I am assembling items for some light mods and taking it out for 2 weekends in a row starting next Wednesday. Pics to come next week, and there is nothing you can do to stop them. Well, to be fair you could ban my account that would stop them. You could also unsubscribe from this thread and that would stop them.

Never mind, it seems like there are plenty of ways to avoid getting my updates.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
That's why I rewired it and put in a fader.
PS The A channel has a sub out so I also added an 8" subwoofer.

I discovered that the other day...may add one myself.
2011 HD Road King
Old 05-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
you could ban my account that would stop them.
My need to look into that....I have a feeling your mods will end up costing me money....LOL

Sorry to hear of the truck misfortunes.... But it happens...
2 Weeks...have a blast looking forward to some pics.
2011 HD Road King
Old 05-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #57

Yevaton were you thinking of adding directly at the front of the shelf cabinet below the stereo?

I think I will wait until next year to tweak any of the sound stuff. I end up listening to sports radio half the time but it would be nice to have a little beefier sound when I want some tunes. I might take one of my Sonos speakers and place it on the shelf as a temp solution this year. It sounds pretty great for a portable unit.

I swear most of the time I camp there is one camper with his music loud enough that it makes it completely unimportant those outside speakers are awful. I tend to like a lot of different music and that comes in handy by allowing me to go with the flow and just listen to whatever my neighbors have going. I am always surprised how "extroverted" people are with everyone else hearing their tunes. All the more reason to plan a few trips to a few state parks this year where I know I will have a little more space.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #58

I had the same issue with the miswired speaker so I got a small pair of bookshelf speakers and wired them to A, properly wired the internal speaker to B and left the external speakers alone. Sounds much better now!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #59
Summer2Go

I got my Roo at about the same time. It is pretty amazing! We've been camping in the driveway so we can figure everything out. The Equalizer hitch worked great on the road, but by the time we drove 9 hrs home, I had trouble getting the bars off. I lifted everything, the bars were lose on the outside end but stuck inside the hitch. I sprained a finger trying to wiggle and pull them out. Do I need wd40 on the ends or something? I'm a little nervous about hitching up again. The dealer set it up, does it need a different adjustment?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #60

Hey summer, did you raise your hitch to the point the bars are practically not touching the brackets? It is a little weird pulling them away the first time as there is a fair amount of tension. If you raise the tongue jack with your vehicle still attached you should be able to grasp the bars and swing them away from the hitch. Then lower back down and flip up the coupler...and up one more time to be free.

I bought the equalizer lubricant but haven't used it yet. To me the first time was very awkward but once you understand the approach it is cake. There really shouldn't be any steps that require force.

Tags
roo