Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #61

Sorry, should have added when you swing the bars out, pull from as far at the ends as possible away from the truck...gives you more leverage. They are going to be stiff as that is part of your sway control.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Yevaton were you thinking of adding directly at the front of the shelf cabinet below the stereo?

I tend to like a lot of different music All the more reason to plan a few trips to a few state parks .
There were 2 shelf mods, wanted to add a few inches to the bathroom shelf, with the stereo I was thinking about moving the IRV unit to one side and open the other side to make a cubby for CDs, DVDs. But after a pack of DVDs slid behind the slide out trim I'm rethinking that one.

Music..... I can enjoy about everything but Rap and Opera, But prefer to drag out the Banjo and sit around the fire.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #63
Summer2Go

Yes, I did all that. When they hitched at the dealership, the car was on the gravel, and the camper on the pavement about 2" higher. I had the same thing when I got home, so I thought maybe that might have contributed. The bars were in the air above the brackets, the pins out of the forward end, and the bars were just plain stuck in the hitch. Now that they are out I can see some of the paint is scratched off where it fit in the hitch. Unless someone here knows a fix, I'll have to try the utility trailer people close to me and see what they think.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #64

I think the scratches are normal and expected. I had them as well. Hmmm, sorry...probably a good idea to check with someone. Frustrating if the hitch experience is bad.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:49 AM   #65

Paint getting scratched off at the friction points is normal. Equalizer recommends touching up with paint as part of the maintenance.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #66

I am guessing bolts over torqued. I need to lean into mine to swing them out but it's no big deal.

Pug mod supplies are in. I have two mod approaches and will decide which is easier.

Wednesday I gots me a date with a kangaroo named vader, a couple pugs, a custom playlist and a whole lotta suction cups. Allow some space if you are camping next to me, it is about to get crazy.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #67

Ok, my first round of suction pug flamed out so horrifically it was almost comical. 50 pound suction capacity my arse! Round 1 dissolved into pugs in a pile at the end of roo, and fat tire cans in a pile at the end of me.

On a positive note, two thumbs up for my addition of a single x-chock. Highest recommendation if you aren't already using them. I might add a second, might not.

Heading to work and storms expected. Without captain sponge on patrol I am more than a little nervous.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #68

The storms just fell apart so no test...weekend looks perfect so I am going to try mod attempt 2 tomorrow.

So on day 6 and to this point I am finding the layout of the 21dk just about perfect. I would like a sofa, sure, but really like the cozy feel and large bathroom. One observation that would make this unit a slam dunk would be if the kitchen window ran the whole length of the counter. I am camped right on the river with views on all 3 sides. Sitting here at the dinette I can't imagine how the view would be if just a little more panoramic.

85 and high humidity so I tested the 13.5k air conditioner and it seemed just fine. I was a bit worried I didn't upgrade that but seems fine. The roo clearly felt like celebrating as it showered me with confetti. Nice touch my friend!

After switching all the vents to point where I expect my fragile wife to sleep I shut that ac off. Last night as a solo camper and I am more lizard than Sith Lord. Bring on the humidity!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
The roo clearly felt like celebrating as it showered me with confetti. Nice touch my friend!

Mine did that too
Old 06-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #70

Ours got the PDI guy during the walk thru.....
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #71

I thought I would provide a little update on Roo Vader. It has been parked at the campground for 12 days and I have been staying in it every other day. Last night in Eastern Iowa it was as if the end of the world was upon us. The rain was so heavy my sump pump was struggling to keep up and the winds were fierce. Needless to say I was struggling to figure out where to direct my stress...the potential of water in the basement or the potential of poor Roo floating down the river.

I didn't sleep a whole lot. This actually proved to be strategically valuable as I decided to drive up to the campground before work to assess damage to the wet marsupial.

Well my roo-loving friends I must tell you the force is indeed strong with this one. Not one drop of moisture inside. Stay dry, you will.

It has been pretty fun these past two weeks. Well, except for the rain and the fact that every night at 2:30a.m. SOMETHING tries to get inside to get me.

I haven't figured out what it is. The first night the entire camper started to move as something with heavy steps moved around outside and climbed onto the steps. At first I thought it was a human (the most dangerous species) trying to break in. I did what every macho jedi such as myself would do in the situation...I fumbled for my knife and with fury in my voice I shouted "ummm.....scat?". My canvas was open of course so I crawled around on the floor for no real purpose and kept peeking through the corners of my bunk ends.

Nothing. The scat word seemed to work.

Nope, sure enough...the sound was back, heavy steps, things falling over outside. A black bear was spotted about a half hour away which is pretty rare in Iowa and I thought maybe that was a possibility. Again I threw out scat, again the sound stopped for a bit.

At this point the only thing left to do was to man up. I summoned up all of my courage and realizing that might not be enough I bravely zipped up the canvas, turned on the blender fan, and crawled under a sleeping bag. Never heard a thing the rest of the night.

So 3 more nights...3 more times at 3 a.m. I am reliving the Blair Witch Project. Honestly there is only one simple explanation. BigFoot.

Tonight is my final overnight before I put it away until July. Will I survive another 3am visit? Tune in next time bat friends. I don't always camp, but when I do.....hmmm....no good camping term rhymes with Dos Equis. Oh well, us Roo owners are still the most interesting campers in the world.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #72

Can I ask what a Velcro pugs is?
Crescent fishing kayak
Trek 3900 mountain bike
24 nights booked
Allcool24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #73

Popup gizmos that go on the canvas ends and use velcro to attach to a hybrid frame.

I continue to try and avoid it in favor of a suction cup approach. I continue to fail. I am becoming like a mad scientist refusing to adopt the Federal Bureau of Pug mandated velcro approach. I am also dumb and will be singing the praises of velcro within a month.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #74

I hope mine has a blue light find out wedensday lol
Crescent fishing kayak
Trek 3900 mountain bike
24 nights booked
Old 06-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #75

RooVader-Loving your updates! Have you considered the split pool noodle approach at all? I was hoping to have worked on this project by now, but our camping plans have been thwarted by weather and a hospitalized grandchild. (We've been full time grandparenting the younger child so mom can stay at the hospital.)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #76

Kate, until your split noodle has pics...well, I can't even get my mind around it.

As far as the blue light...well, if my marsupial didn't have a blue light I would return it. No blue light=defective. Please report back once you take delivery.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #77
Summer2Go

Kate, are you hanging the split noodle on the top of the bunk frame, and attaching the pug to the noodle? I bought Space Blankets to make my own Pugs, and am trying to figure it all out now.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #78

Will report status of light colour
Crescent fishing kayak
Trek 3900 mountain bike
24 nights booked
Old 06-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #79
Summer2Go

And RooVader... I'll be betting on Black Bear! We are in N.J. But we have quite the black bear population, and sometimes a "bear hunt". Ours make the rounds every night, hit the same garbage cans like clockwork.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #80

Summer2Go - I am trying to do the same thing you are. When we had a PUP we used the pool noodle as a lightweight rain gutter, and it worked well. It was surprisingly stable. The picture below is from Pinterest, not from my camper. What I've been trying to find the time to do is anchor the space blanket to the noodle. I'm going to try the easiest idea first, and that is to attach the blanket to the noodle with binder clips. I will attach them on the noodle first and then put the noodle under the roof in the same manner as we always have. The binder clips will go on the side toward the inside of the camper so that the noodle will hold down the space blanket. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

It's been 18 years since I chased a 3 year old after working a full time job. I just haven't had the energy to work on the project yet. Let me know if you understand and how you work out your idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pool Noodle gutter.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	79810  
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo