Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Day 1 with Roo: the takeaways so far.

- This thing is an attention magnet. For all of the canvas hate in the world I sure did have a lot of people wanting to come check it out.

- When you stand in the aisle deciding between a 25' and 50' hose, get the 50'. Otherwise you are driving 40 minutes to a walmart in order to have water.

- Do not lower the bunk end without turning on propane. It makes it very unpleasant when you wake up at 3 a.m. freezing but the prospect of trying to get to the propane tanks or lift the bed is even worse. I chose the path of doing nothing. I was cold. I need a portable heater to protect me from myself.

- Do not order PUGS without velcro. Bad move roovader.

- Plugged the Pathway into the satellite in and like magic I was watching DISH. Call me a pessimist but I absolutely expected a spaghetti mess of wires that would prevent the signal reaching the inside of the coach. Thumbs up Roo construction dudes!

- Blue lights in a fridge may now be mandatory. I kept going to the fridge for a beer entirely for the blue light. Ok, not entirely for the light...but it sure was cool looking.

- I can use the bathroom with the door closed. That is new. Neat!

- I have never had a slide and it sort of scares me. I need to do some reading.

- Ok, having covers on the vent fans is just completely awesome. I did not have that before and was always worried about leaving them open. Another mandatory feature.

- The equal-i-zer 4 point is as good as advertised. Sure beats the old friction bars and chains.

- I have no idea what to put in those nets but I sure think they are cool.

- Thumbs up to nightshades, even though i only have one window. If you are ordering I highly recommend them. Much more efficient than messing with the curtains.

- I am not sure I can turn the tv without eating spinach. I better get behind that thing with a flashlight or I might rip it off the wall trying to adjust the mount.

- Raised panel fridge is classy. It makes my 17k camper feel like its easily worth 17,100. Plus there is a blue light behind all that class.

On to Roo, day Too.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

I, too, am on day one, and have nothing to add.

You've said it all.

Well done.
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

X2 on the blue light fridge. I'm not much of a vodka drinker, but I may start just to see the bottle against the blue background.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #4

Why yes, everything tastes better when it has blue backlighting!

The crazy thing about freezing last night is I forgot about the bed heaters. There they sat, within arm reach, in there plastic bags.

That has been fixed for night two, though I brought the havanese up and he is like a portable heater....so may not need it.

Continuing to be ecstatic about this camper and waiting for the other shoe to drop. I usually second guess major purchases but right now this thing fits me like a glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #5

Love your reviews keep them coming! Did I miss pics? #searchingnow
Tadi Brothers 9" Wireless 120 degree Rear Cam
2015 Nights Camped: 4
2016 Nights Camped: 8
hazmat91180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

Day 3, the season of....seasoning. Watering down the bunks, check. Try TV outside...check. Try heater...oops, sorry campground...yes that is my alarm. I expected that, hold off and run that later with bunk windows open.

I actually like the included grill. I am using it in seated mode because I don't want flame next to my brand new camper and grilling sitting down fits my lifestyle.

So far no issues, wish I had started with a hybrid.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #7

Why didn't anyone tell me about the awesome forest river grill spatula? I just found that in a drawer...that thing is pretty nice!

Old 05-23-2015, 03:05 PM   #8

Yes on the Spatula. We bought our Forest River camper just because of the Spatula. ;-) Now we don't want to get it yukey. Still clean as the day we got it. Thinking of just hanging it up for decoration.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Why yes, everything tastes better when it has blue backlighting!

The crazy thing about freezing last night is I forgot about the bed heaters. I brought the havanese up and he is like a portable heater

Glad to hear the unit is working out so good for you and I especially like your bed heater. My havanese also loves to be curled up right next to me in bed.
TxLightkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #10

RooVader, excellent review....thanks for the laugh!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #11

I think you are right, I am going to hang this spatula as decor. It is far too nice to grease up. I would have paid at least 25 bucks more had I known that treasure was hiding under my dinette.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #12

Bought ours in October my son and I took it out in October to hunt. This weekend was the 1st with us all. 4 kids , 2 dog's and 2 adults in the 233s. My oldest daughter told me today she loves our new camper . Made me feel good. Considering she is a teenager. Lol
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #13

RooVader... newbie here... Are the PUGS you referenced the tent end covers? I am on the PopupGizmos site and do not see anything with velcro?
jgoldwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
- This thing is an attention magnet. For all of the canvas hate in the world I sure did have a lot of people wanting to come check it out.

- When you stand in the aisle deciding between a 25' and 50' hose, get the 50'. Otherwise you are driving 40 minutes to a walmart in order to have water.

- Do not lower the bunk end without turning on propane. It makes it very unpleasant when you wake up at 3 a.m. freezing but the prospect of trying to get to the propane tanks or lift the bed is even worse. I chose the path of doing nothing. I was cold. I need a portable heater to protect me from myself.

- Do not order PUGS without velcro. Bad move roovader.

- Plugged the Pathway into the satellite in and like magic I was watching DISH. Call me a pessimist but I absolutely expected a spaghetti mess of wires that would prevent the signal reaching the inside of the coach. Thumbs up Roo construction dudes!

- Blue lights in a fridge may now be mandatory. I kept going to the fridge for a beer entirely for the blue light. Ok, not entirely for the light...but it sure was cool looking.

- I can use the bathroom with the door closed. That is new. Neat!

- I have never had a slide and it sort of scares me. I need to do some reading.

- Ok, having covers on the vent fans is just completely awesome. I did not have that before and was always worried about leaving them open. Another mandatory feature.

- The equal-i-zer 4 point is as good as advertised. Sure beats the old friction bars and chains.

- I have no idea what to put in those nets but I sure think they are cool.

- Thumbs up to nightshades, even though i only have one window. If you are ordering I highly recommend them. Much more efficient than messing with the curtains.

- I am not sure I can turn the tv without eating spinach. I better get behind that thing with a flashlight or I might rip it off the wall trying to adjust the mount.

- Raised panel fridge is classy. It makes my 17k camper feel like its easily worth 17,100. Plus there is a blue light behind all that class.

On to Roo, day Too.

Enjoy it Man You paid for it...lol

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #15
Site Team

X2 on keeping the reviews coming. Glad to hear that you ate enjoying the camper.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldwood View Post
RooVader... newbie here... Are the PUGS you referenced the tent end covers? I am on the PopupGizmos site and do not see anything with velcro?

You bet. When you order you can ask bob to add Velcro for like 10 dollars or so. You then need to add a few strips to your camper. The gizmos are awesome even in their saggy, non-Velcro state but quite a pain to attach. I keep trying to think of a different way to keep them hiked up but I know the brilliant people lurking around here would have already figured it out if there was a way.

I zip-tied my PVC sewer hose fence post to the bumper between the spare tire and the camper and declared it the easiest mod ever. I don't know that I like it there though...blocks access to a hatch I don't even use but the fact that I can't use it makes me want to use it. That is just how weird I am. Going to have to rethink that.

I put a sticker of yoda on the spare tire cover that says "pass you I will". I then removed the "I". Ah, yes, best mod yet.

My stuffed darth vader is covered in dog hair. Two mental notes to self: 1. Add sticky roller to the essential tools thread. 2. Question sanity on why I bought a lab retriever when I had a perfectly good, non-shedding havanese. Perhaps charcoal gray was a poor interior choice as yellow fur is everywhere. I am just not sure roo vader would have looked proper with floral valances though so gonna have to sticky roll. And sticky roll. And sticky roll.

The whole family is up here now and I have been properly disposed to the dinette bed. I am typing on here at 3:30 so it clearly has no sleep number but you know it really isn't too bad. It is actually more comfortable than the bed in my previous camper and really long. As a bed that will only be used maybe 10% of the time I am going to give it a thumbs up. We actually brought like 7000 small pillows and made it up as a lounge day bed sort of thing during the day and it is pretty sweet.

It is supposed to start raining any second and then rain until the end of time. Pack up is going to be right in the thick of it. This is clearly natures way of testing my hybrid love. Bring all you can nature, the force is strong with this one.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:51 AM   #17

Oh I should add there was a nice gathering of campers that decided to stop and watch me hose down my canvas. They seemed to be getting quite a chuckle watching me do it, clearly not familiar with the idea of everything being better with seasoning.

Finally one of the gentlemen spoke up and said "look man, I know it is new but your camper is going to get dirty".

Not on my watch, sir. Not on my watch.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #18

RooVader.....your hysterical!.You should write columns for an RV mag
Old 05-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #19

Oh thanks captain...that is really nice! I am just enjoying sharing my adventures in canvas.

Speaking of canvas, my grumpy family just asked why I am climbing all over them at 5am shining my phone on the walls. Because it is raining of course. I have to wonder if their review would be as positive as mine? Oh well, this is not their review. Besides, I am done kneeling on them so they can just go back to sleep so I can go see if I will regret not getting a slide cover.

On a sad note, it really is a wonderful rain and is being completely ruined by my wife's need to sleep with a bunk fan on. This must be what it sounds like if you are ice and someone throws you in a blender. I love her to death but I could use a little more nature, a little less blender.

Three times I snuck over and turned off the fan. Three times I got in trouble.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #20

I'm with you...nothing better than listening to the rain. Does the fan have a fuse? You could always pull it! you didn't here that from me tho'...haha

Tags
roo