Old 04-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

De winterizing

Getting ready to remove pink antifreeze from Roo 23isk. First time with this trailer. Any ideas how I get started! Can I hook up the garden hose and flush it out? Is there more then one drain? Sorry if this sounds like Im making this so complicated, but the old Wildwood was so much easier to manage. What do I do with the water filter? Is there a video? The instructions are pretty much, useless!

Old 04-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with your Roo but, yes, most of it can be done connected via the city water line.

Just run everything until the water is no longer pink. If you have a re-connect switch on the water pump, hook up the input hose and run some clean water through the water pump. Then, switch it back to run from water out of the fresh water tank.

The final step is to prep the water heater by installing the drain plug then switching the bypass valves to normal use. (I'll flush out the water tank at this point, too, as a small amount of pink stuff might have been in the line and don't want that in the tank.)

Oh a second final step (!) will be to disconnect the water filter holder (which should be thoroughly flushed at this point) and insert the water filter.

At some point, you're also going to want to disinfect all of the lines by just running some water with a little household bleach but those instructions are already posted in detail here.

Happy camping!!

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

Thank you for the info. I'm ready for camping!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

Ok, yes, I drained all the antifreeze out of the pipes - then filled up my water heater. At which point I realized that I hadn't drained from the outside shower head ! Some pink stuff did come out. Am I in trouble ?!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Nope. The outside shower is at the end of a branch in the plumbing - as long as you opened both valves and flushed until clear you'll have no problem.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #6

Let me guess OP, your model is a 23ikss? After you run the pink stuff out (not a hazardous chemical but not lemonade either) you will need to open the rear storage and there you will find the filter canister and the valves for bypassing your water heater. You should have that funky wrench (beer bottle opener for a giant) that will take the canister jar off. Put some lubricant (I use hand lotion) on the threads, will make it easier to get on and off. The 3 valves for the hw tank bypass should be to your left (behind that screwed down access panel). Turn them all (if I recall, still too cold here to dewinterize yet) vertical. Don't forget to put the anode/drain screw back in on the water heater.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
Getting ready to remove pink antifreeze from Roo 23isk. First time with this trailer. Any ideas how I get started! Can I hook up the garden hose and flush it out? Is there more then one drain? Sorry if this sounds like Im making this so complicated, but the old Wildwood was so much easier to manage. What do I do with the water filter? Is there a video? The instructions are pretty much, useless!
I flush the lines with City water and once the water runs clear (no pink), I then sanitize the fresh water tank and lines. After I've sanitized and rinsed the fresh water tank and lines, I then open the bypass valve to allow the water heater to fill with clean water.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize