Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Dealer or factory to purchase front bunk door

I have a 2011 Shamrock 21SS that is starting to delaminate on the front door. I want to replace the door, or just the core and transfer my hardware over. For those that have replaced the bunk which way would be best to go to get another door? I know the dealer will want to install it, I would rather do it myself and take some extra precautions as I am replacing it to keep it from happening again. Thanks in advance!
marobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:08 AM   #2

A double edged sword.

Can you talk your dealer, or another FR dealer, into ordering the door / panel for you and have it shipped to them in a unit they have ordered to save the shipping cost? I think the shipping on one of those will be outrageously priced because of the size.

If the dealer gives you grief about wanting him to order the part and not wanting him to do the installation just say that's fine, I'll get it elsewhere. I'll also remember this when I'm shopping for my new unit in a few years, thank you.

I believe the "official" F.R. policy is they do not sell parts directly, although I know many people and can find many posts from people who have, at least from Rockwood.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

I did exactly what you are trying to do right before I traded my 2011 23SS. I was able to get a door under warranty and had it shipped truck freight. I needed to pick it up at the Yellow Freight terminal in my area. Since it was warranty, I traded the labor cost to install for the shipping and did it myself. (took me about 2 hours, reused all the hardware and brackets) But that was a warranty claim.

This was around Thanksgiving... Fast forward to the following season, first week of April, new TT, maiden voyage, stop for traffic on a exit ramp, rear ended by honda accord... Progressive insurance claims adjuster comes to my house following the weekend and I explain I would rather make the repair on my own with OEM parts (needed bumper, some aluminum skirting, a spare tire bracket, roof ladder and the plastic rear valance). Insurance gave me actual delivered parts cost plus standard labor rates. (made out nicely on the deal!) Bought the parts directly from Forest River with a credit card and they shipped direct. Had the items within two weeks.

Each division of Forest River has a parts person that covers certain styles and models. You can find the appropriate person here Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.

I would start by informing them that you are not satisfied with the services offered by any of the local dealers and would like to purchase the replacement bunk door directly. Be sure to include your VIN will all emails. That being said, if you were to contact them with a specific list of needed items, in a professional manner, and make it as easy as possible with photos and details - I think you will be successful.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #4

After getting frustrated with 2 different dealers, I ordered the door from the factory and they were friendly, helpful and got it to me quickly. After I found the right person in parts they never questioned selling to me personally. I went ahead and ordered a few other things I wanted and they put them in the box with the door. A dealer will just jack up the price.

Green Family
Oklahoma City, OK
2010 Roo 17
2006 Ford Expedition Limited
OKC Thunder Family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, dealer, door, factory