Old 10-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
23ss ROOster

Delamination issues

Any possible fixes for delam issues on bottom of bunk end fold down doors? ROO/FOREST RIVER and there lousy design (lack of proper size/functionality rain gutter above door opening) of our 2012 233ss unit has caused this issue for many ROO owners. New doors cost???? I heard $800 each door? Any other possible fixes??? Thanks

Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags2237 View Post
Any possible fixes for delam issues on bottom of bunk end fold down doors? ROO/FOREST RIVER and there lousy design (lack of proper size/functionality rain gutter above door opening) of our 2012 233ss unit has caused this issue for many ROO owners. New doors cost???? I heard $800 each door? Any other possible fixes??? Thanks
I had issues with the side bunk door and front bunk door in my 2016 233s. What I discovered was the corners of the frame were very poorly fitted and rain water would get into the bunk ends through the poorly fitted corners. A bit of good quality caulk took care of that problem, and eventually the underlying wood dried out and the 'bulge' disappeared in the front bunk end. The side was replaced under warranty by FR, who refused to replace the front when I discovered it was their crappy manufacturing QC causing water to enter in the first place!
There is a thread with pictures about this very problem.

MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #3

I believe this is the best video I have seen about repair/replace bunk end.

https://youtu.be/82cx9cmZ1n0

There is also discussion here

Bunk end door replacement

and a replacement door was purchased from FR and shipped inexpensively on this thread...

Rousseau's RV

The black rubber seal can be gotten from FR bought by the foot.

Just to clarify... there are different styles of tents and how they fit on the ends of the bunk and on the bunk latches... depending on the year of assembly... understand this when watching the videos.

Many owners have put up gutters above the bunk doors to help keep water from intruding and there are dozens of threads on here about that... although if seals are properly cleaned and maintained I for one have not found it necessary to add a gutter.

I hope this info can start you on your way to fixing or replacing your bunk.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
23ss ROOster

Thanks for info.

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Old 11-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
23ss ROOster

Any you tube videos on using plastic poly cut to cover over gutters to prevent water leaks in bunk ends. Thanks

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Old 11-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Any you tube videos on using plastic poly cut to cover over gutters to prevent water leaks in bunk ends.
use double sided tape to attach plastic gutter... heavy duty 3M automotive style tape

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
23ss ROOster

Thanks for your reply. I had read on previous posts of cutting 1” pvc pipe and sliding on gutter. They said it worked great and no more leaks or continued delam. Have you seen this?? If not, tell me more about this plastic gutter with double edged tape. Thanks for your time.

2012 23SS ROO
Old 11-17-2019, 11:39 PM   #8

Wags2237,

I started to use the PVC pipe when I first got the Shamrock back in 2014... I cut one for the front bunk only. After using it for a year I decided it was too much work putting it on and taking it off when traveling. I needed to have a 6 foot step ladder with me every time I traveled. I use nothing now without an issue. In hindsight I now realize that I did not need a gutter, but I was trying to be pro-active.

I have read on here that some owners have used an L shaped gutter made of aluminum or plastic, about 1 inch by 1 inch ( or close to that). I suspect you can find something at Lowes or HomeDepot that fits that description. Fastening the gutter above the bunk with double-sided tape should be quick and easy to do. Search amazon for heavy duty automotive double sided tape. It comes in various widths. This tape is used to fasten some auto molding onto auto sides so it has to be tough and last in the weather. I would slope the gutter higher on one side and lower on the other, and bend the L closed a little to make a more effective gutter to move rain water away to one side rather then settling into the folds of the closed bunk door seal.

My 2014 Shamrock does NOT use the same closures as your 2012 and when adjusted properly the seal does not leak... much... I do have a small amount of water after months of being outside in the rain, but with my tent ends being fastened all around ( as opposed to the unfastened tent ends on earlier models) , I just keep the windows zipped shut and any water ( a cup or two) that collects just sits harmlessly on the vinyl tent and drains off when I set up the tent. Water cannot come into contact with the inside bunk end door.

As far as delam issues on the bunk end... well that is a separate problem, certainly caused by water intrusion.

Search the Hybrid forum... Most add-on gutter posts I have read were either 2014 or earlier and are for pre-2014 models. I have not seen a gutter post now for a number of years, as the badly leaking bunk end issue has mostly been fixed.

I hope this helps you.

2014 Shamrock 183

Tags
delamination