Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #1

Dinette for sleeping

Just ordered a 23ikss and both me and DW love the layout when open. But I am am getting a bit concerned about Turtling. We have the jackknife sofa on the order but could still change to the air bed option.

Here are my specific questions.

Any idea what the air bed option is priced at. I would like to know before I call dealer.

Does anyone know the sleeping length of the dinette? We are both 5'9" tall.

Can the dinette and air sofa bed be used with the big slide not deployed? That way we can just deploy the kitchen slide for a quick overnight stop.

I figure with the dinette and airbed we would be set-up nice without using the end bunks. One of the nice things I have always liked about Hybrids as we looked at them over the years is that with a dinette bed availabe if it is raining when you arrive at the CG you can just turtle the first night, etc.

Then the IKSS came out and all those other nice features kind of overtook our pragmatic decision making. The order is not placed with the factory yet so there is still time to fine tune.

Thanks,

Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

My advice - get the air bed. We don't ever turtle, but we do occasionally need a third a bed, and the jackknife couch doesn't really get it done.

One 5'9" person might fit on the dinette, but 2 adults would be a stretch. As for using it with the LR slide in, it would be difficult to get in and out of the bed. The air jackknife sofa has enough room to open with the slide in the closed position. Assume the air bed would - but not sure. However, that is a flush-floor slideout so the floor of the slideout comes up onto the floor of the camper. Not sure it would be a good idea to be using the bed with the slideout closed.

I would think if you wanted to turtle, you would still want both slideouts out. And we don't ever turtle. The front bunk will clear the tailgate of the truck, so even on an overnight stop in a monsoon, we put the bed out. With the attached canvas, its about 10 seconds of outside time to put it down. Even if we have to fold it up wet, its no big deal as long as we open it up when we get where we are going. If you spend the night the night in a Walmart or at a rest stop, this might not work, but we always find a cg with a pull through site for overnight stops so we have both beds and both slides open. If you stay hooked up you are only talking about an extra 10-15 minutes to get going the next day. And we're on vacation, so its nice to use the big kitchen space and all the other features that made us pick the IKSS to begin with.

But regardless - after 2 seasons of very happy use - our Roo had most of the options - power awning, power tongue jack, aluminum wheels, slide topper - all of which I didn't really care either way when we bought it. Now, I wouldn't change any of those, and the 2 things we didn't have on ours - air bed and night shades - would be 2 things I would definitely want if I had the choice.

Enjoy your new Roo!

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

We had a 21SS and I took all of my godchildren - two sets of twins, their mom, and my DW camping every year we owned it. We also checked out the the 23IKSS at our dealer just to see how they evolved. I like the floorplan a lot, but fundamentals haven't changed. First, ditch the jack-knife and go with the sleeper sofa if you really want to use it for a bed! The jack-knife will sleep a child just fine, but my 5'-8" wife couldn't sleep comfortably on it one night when we were semi-turtled (superslide out) due to downpouring rain keeping us from getting the bunks down as ours was a 2008 and tents not unitized to the door). She ended up sleeping on the dinette and I took the floor. We also slept the older twins on the dinette through age 8, but no way can I see two adults doing it, not even snugglers! You will need to have the roadside slide out to use the sleeper sofa because it won't clear the cabinets otherwise.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. Our current order includes all the nice options you mentioned except the air bed. Nice to hear your positive experience in deploying the tent ends. I tried it at the dealer and agree it is easy but in real life most things have a way of not working like in the show room:-)

DW thinks we can just use a queen size standalone air mattress on the floor for the very, very occasional use we might have. Certainly cheaper than the $600 they want for the airbed sofa and easy to replace.

We love the big kitchen and amount of storage. When we saw it we knew the 23IKSS was for us as a retired couple.

Since we have a couple days until the dealer enters the order with the factory I am just coming up with some last minute questions or as DW would say, "Over thinking things again" :-)

Looking forward to the snow melting and the HTT being delivered.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
Certainly cheaper than the $600 they want for the airbed sofa and easy to replace.
$600!?! I can see your hesitation there. I would get your dealer to work on that number a bit if you really wanted it! For show pricing, they were offering the sleeper in place of the jack-knife in the 21SS and 23IKSS as a $200 upgrade.

I think Forest River finally got the hybrid right in the 2015 models! Enjoy!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

I' m 5'7 and my feet go right to the end of the bunk. I sleep on the table all the time. No way will 2 adults fit, 2 kids would be a stretch unless they are little. Get the air bed, the jack knife is useless for an adult. Get that sofa thrown into your deal. The rep from FR had no problem throwing it into my deal last summer. You can always price out a trailer at a different dealer!
Old 01-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

I agree with the others. I have the 23IKSS and have the air bed option and am glad I did it. I was able to get my dealer to match RVW's quote on the air bed option. Just get their quote with the air bed option ($200) I think, and hopefully will match it. You won't regret it as the jackknife sofa is pointless unless you have small children. As far as turtling, you won't be able to have the air bed mattress fully extended with the slide closed.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #8

Called the dealer and added the air bed. Ended up getting a couple hundred off list but probably not as good a deal as if I had it in the first round of negotiations. Oh well.

23IKSS now on order expecting delivery in March or April. Can't wait for the snow to melt and hit the road. Thanks everyone for your comments.