Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #1

Disconnecting from Truck

We are brand new to the Roo and just brought it home. We have a weight distributing equalizer hitch and we are looking for some step-by-step help on disconnecting it from our Tahoe. Right now it is just parked in our driveway. We're a bit intimidated by it. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks
vkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #2

I have had several TT's over the decades.Everything from a small popup to a 35ft fifth wheel and in every instance I was instructed on how to hitch and unhitch.I'm sure that they showed you something.You might want to check the various manuals you should have received with your purchase as they will have basic steps to help you in this area.

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Even though RattVader thinks everybody should know this kinda thing, it is not always easy for someone just starting out.

We would need the type of WDH that you are using...a picture would be good.

On many types of WDH, you need to use the tongue jack to raise the tongue while it is still connected to the tow vehicle. This relieves the stress on the spring bars. At that point, you would remove the spring bars, but that is done differently on particular brands of WDH....that is why we need that information.

After the spring bars are removed, lower the tongue jack to where the tow vehicle looks about level. Pull the coupler latch, unhook the electrical umbilical, unhook the emergency braking system cable, and unhook the safety chains. Raise the trailer tongue again.....make sure the trailer wheels are choked. It the trailer tongue does not easily come off of the ball, you may need to move the tow vehicle slightly and carefully forward (or backward).

Ask any specifics, and someone will be glad to help here.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Do you have the kind with a bar that attaches to "L" brackets -or- chain? What brand/model?
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #5

If it is an Equal-i-zer like you mentioned with the solid bars (no chains) here is what I do:

1) Chock the wheels.
2) Raise your tongue jack (you will see the back of the truck start to raise). Raise it high enough so there is no more weight on the solid bars.
3) Take out the pins to the bars and pull the bars away from the frame of the trailer (you will want to do this as they will be easier to put on when it's time to hook up)
4) Take off the bars.
5) Lower the tongue jack until it starts to lower the truck and then pull the coupler latch to disconnect the truck from the trailer. Then raise the tongue jack again until it is clear of the ball. Please note this step is always difficult for me. I sometimes have to jump on the bumper of the truck or you may have to push or drive the truck very lightly to relieve some pressure. What I'm saying is don't get freaked out if it doesn't come off right away.
6) Disconnect Electrical cord
7) Disconnect brake-away cord
8) Take off chains
9) Drink a beer (this step could also be step 1)

Good luck.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

Problem must have not following step #9 (below)... ;-). Just remember, it's 5:00 o'clock somewhere!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Site Team

agree that we need to know what brand WDH you have.

i have to say that you must have gotten a pretty poor PDI/walkthrough to not be comfortable on disconnecting the trailer.
the dealer we bought our 23SS from, installed our Equalizer-brand WDH, even though they sold only Reese.
they showed us how to hook and unhook and made sure we were comfortable doing it.

if you have the Equalizer-brand WDH, go to their website or look up videos for it, on the internet.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #9

We just to delivery of a 2013 surveyor 240 with the equalizer hitch. No problems hitching, but unhitching took a little time to figure out. My only question is can you back up with the hitch on? Dealer said not to, but I don't see that in the literature.
tabkld93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Site Team

If you can take a picture of your hitch set up (cell phone will work) and post it here then it will be easier to provide the instructions for your equipment. Are you able to do this? My concern is that you might receive a lot of feedback that could easily become muddle.

To post pics here you will click on the "Go Advanced" tab in the Quick Reply box area and then you should see the attachment icon.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #11

I don't have photo capability right now.

The hitch is the equalizer 2.
tabkld93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabkld93
We just to delivery of a 2013 surveyor 240 with the equalizer hitch. No problems hitching, but unhitching took a little time to figure out. My only question is can you back up with the hitch on? Dealer said not to, but I don't see that in the literature.
I have the E2 and yes it can be backed up. The trick to unhitching is to get the weight off the hitch/truck and onto the tongue jack. Those bars should slide right off once you get the tension off of them.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabkld93 View Post

only the cheaper WDH's that have separate friction anti-sway bars, need them disconnected to back up.
those WDH's with built-in sway control, like the Equalizer or Reese Dual-Cam, don't require anything disconnected to back up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
Broken Toe

A great habit to get into when disconnecting.

Always, always ALWAYS let your truck idle away from the trailer in question. I have seen quite a few times where someone hammered the gas, and forgot a safety chain or electric plug.

I creep away with the brakes half on till I'm about 4-5 feet away.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Site Team

another tip is to pull the ball forward in the coupling, whether hooking or unhooking.
this releases the coupler latch and makes it easy for the ball to clear the coupler.
in fact, when hooking up, i put the ball just ahead of the cup, so that when lowering the tongue onto the ball, it has to pull the coupler onto the ball.
and when unhooking, i make sure the tandem chock is on and i pull the truck as forward as possible, without moving the trailer.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #16

I too like to pull the truck forward a bit after setting the wheel checks. And when I do, the parking brake is rather helpful. If I don't set it, the truck's tranny unloads and rolls right back the where I started.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote