Old 03-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #71
Site Team
In the beginning I also had a hard time deciding what to do. In the end I went with my auto company for immediate coverage. I can always change coverage and/or companies later if I opt to.

Please keep in mind that feedback on forums or from friends can range widely based on personal viewpoints. And the range is be extreme too.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #72
thanks everyone, although it is very confusing, I think we got it. The most important thing to us is injury and damage to others and to protect our home, savings, and livelihood. A week ago, I didn't even know we needed separate insurance. This forum is a wealth of information of all kinds. I am so thankful to have met all of you! I feel more confident in "hooking up" our new HTT now.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #73
Thanks everyone for all the great info. Now I know the questions I need to ask the agent. For me this was a big investment and I want to protect the Roo and the people I camp with. Thanks again!!!!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #74
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
ahhh....this is so overwhelming. I know NOTHING about insurance. All I want is to be covered if an accident causes damage or injury to OTHER people. I can replace my camper, but not my house or a life. Our AAA rep is emailing our quote with coverage so we can make a decision with everything in writing.

One quick question that we are going back and forth on. The Nada value of my camper seems to be between 18-21K. However, we got the deal of the century on it and only paid 14K. Insurance wants to insure it for what we Paid. Is that correct? I understand that to use the book value, we would suffer depreciation. Insuring for purchased value avoids that?
Hi Cybermom,

Generally your insurance policy will pay you Actual cash value (ACV) for your unit. So if the unit is indeed worth 20K, then the premiums will reflect coverage for a 20K item. The deal you got may not be available when it comes time to replace your unit if it is a total loss.

Some policies may pay you full replacement which is also insurance code speak for ACV as it does not mean replacing a 2000 model year with a 2016 model year if your 2000 model is destroyed.

Insurance can be confusing and you need to sit down with a good insurance agent to evaluate your overall risk profile. Everyone is different. this is not unlike financial planning. It is customized for your particular situation.

Good luck,

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote