Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 03:38 AM   #21

I would still sanitize your water system at least once a year (an ounce of prevention)... even if you only use your city water hookup. You're not just sanitizing the fresh water tank, but all of your water lines, faucets, valves and any filter housings. Once fungal or bacterial growth is established it's a PITA to get them completely flushed again. A lot of folks forget that their potable water hoses should be done as well.

Just my 2 cents.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
One of the reasons we all go camping is to enjoy the wonders and solitude of nature. If we want to continue being able to experience these wonders we need to protect them. Draining antifreeze ( non-toxic or not) and 30-60 gallons of bleach water on the ground at a campsite is jeopardizing that pleasure for the future. Please de-winterize at home. Even if you have full hookups, the chemicals put a significant strain on waste systems.
X2
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #23

I use this method:

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

I like using the granular form of chemical rather than the liquid.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #24

Do you keep your fresh tank full when you are at home? My tank gets smelly so I generally bleach it, and rinse it out before we go camping. I never use the holding tank water for cooking or drinking. It is only for dishes and washing up and flushing.
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #25

I do not keep it full. I don't use the tank much as we usually do full hookups. When I am going to use it I do sanitize it before use.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I like to sanatize my system at the beginning of the camping season because all the lines and facets have been sitting with moisture in the system for months. Seems like a good breeding ground for a science project. I shower, wash dishes and brush my teeth using the water coming from the water lines, not necessarily from the tank.

Bleach is a lot cheaper than a visit to walk in emergency clinic and ruining the trip.
This is the Corner We are in,Correct answer! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
I use this method:

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

I like using the granular form of chemical rather than the liquid.
Not wanting to start some big argument, this is just for my own interest and I am sure there are some major differences, and concentrations are probably very different. I am no chemist but was a member of our "Emergency Spill Response Team" at the chrome plating shop I worked at an am somewhat familiar with chemical data sheets. The article says that household chlorine contains salt and other things. But Sodium Dichlor is listed to be in the same reactive group as salt. As the name suggests, doesn't Sodium Dichlor have sodium, which is basically salt (NaCL)?
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #28

I am a huge fan of the RV Geeks videos on YouTube. As a fellow rookie, I've learned a ton from their videos. Here is one on how to sanitize the RVs fresh water system:

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water