Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

Do I need to sanitize the water?

Help me out here: How important is it to sanitize the water, after winterizing with antifreeze, given that I don't plan to drink from the water lines? And, I don't plan to fill up the holding tank at all.

I read that great checklist that is in this forum, and I also noted to dewinterize at home vs. the campground site.

But, what's wrong with driving to camp site, hooking up city water source, running the faucets until the pink comes out, and then going from there?

I'm a rookie, so don't be too hard on me.

Thanks,

Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Even after sanitizing, we don't drink the water from the trailer. (My wife doesn't even brush her teeth with it but I do.)

Yes, you can dewinterize at the campsite and may even be able to sanitize but make sure, first, that it's okay to drain the fresh water tank onto the ground. (Or just bring a 5-gallon pail from Home Depot and catch the water then dump it into the toilet!)

Hey that's a good idea....we're going out in 2 weeks and I don't have time to sanitize before heading out so will do that at the State Park we're going to. (And will, probably, have to winterize afterwards...we've seen it down down to the teens in April in Colorado.)

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

There is nothing wrong in doing that, just make sure you also flush the water tank out too. You say you aren't going to drink from water supply, how about cooking, brushing your teeth, watering the dog/cat? Just thinking.... I have yet to sanitize my system (third year) but I do a GOOD flush of all lines and tanks before using after winter (will be sanitizing this year though).
wana65stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

I like to sanatize my system at the beginning of the camping season because all the lines and facets have been sitting with moisture in the system for months. Seems like a good breeding ground for a science project. I shower, wash dishes and brush my teeth using the water coming from the water lines, not necessarily from the tank.

Bleach is a lot cheaper than a visit to walk in emergency clinic and ruining the trip.
2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

The answer is yes, we plan shower, brush teeth, boil water, water for dog, etc.

My understanding is that the antifreeze is non-toxic. And, the service guy told me that he didn't place any antifreeze in the water holding tank.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedrocker View Post
The answer is yes, we plan shower, brush teeth, boil water, water for dog, etc.

My understanding is that the antifreeze is non-toxic. And, the service guy told me that he didn't place any antifreeze in the water holding tank.
Excellent...and you never, ever should put it in there because the tank has a drain so you can ensure it's free of water. (I'll even open all the drain lines in the RV storage lot in the winter just to ensure nothing snuck in there.)

We did forget about a 1-gallon jug of water in the pantry that we just found...thankfully it didn't split open when it froze.
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 AM   #7

I always sanitize my water system as part of de-winterizing. Although I travel with a full tank of fresh water (City Water), I ususlly need to top up at the campgrounds at some point. We take our drinking water with us and use the trailer water for showering, feeding the dog and cooking.

Campground water may be potable, but, I don't know if it is well water or treated city water. Sanitizing once year is cheap insurnace.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #8

I know that anti freeze is poisonous to cats, so I wouldn't take a chance by not thoroughly flushing out the system before using water for drinking. Sanitizing at least once a year makes sense too.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Team

One of the reasons we all go camping is to enjoy the wonders and solitude of nature. If we want to continue being able to experience these wonders we need to protect them. Draining antifreeze ( non-toxic or not) and 30-60 gallons of bleach water on the ground at a campsite is jeopardizing that pleasure for the future. Please de-winterize at home. Even if you have full hookups, the chemicals put a significant strain on waste systems.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Anyone know the percentage of Clorox to water? I have a 50 gal fresh water tank and I assume about 5 gal more that sits in my lines? I figure 2 cups of bleach to all that H2O but does anyone know?

Tags
water