Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

Does ordering come with a price premium?

In your experience is there a price break for grabbing units off of the lot? Given the additional openings on a hybrid I am leaning towards ordering so I can avoid a unit that may have been sitting outside covered in melting snow all winter.

Having said that, since I can't decide between cherry and hickory, and wood-look floor or not...I am probably better grabbing one that comes as-is.

I do have one other question. On the order form it lists ducted AC being part of the 15k AC upgrade. It says without it there is no ducted AC on the 21dk. Is this accurate?
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Not really. It's all about your negotiating skills. We've ordered and bought off the lot new. In all cases, we bought a few hundred bucks over dealer cost.

I cannot speak with personal experience as we owned a 21SS, but the 2015 Roo literature I have says the 21DK is ducted with either the 13.5 or 15.0 unit.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
In your experience is there a price break for grabbing units off of the lot? Given the additional openings on a hybrid I am leaning towards ordering so I can avoid a unit that may have been sitting outside covered in melting snow all winter.

Having said that, since I can't decide between cherry and hickory, and wood-look floor or not...I am probably better grabbing one that comes as-is.

I do have one other question. On the order form it lists ducted AC being part of the 15k AC upgrade. It says without it there is no ducted AC on the 21dk. Is this accurate?
I can tell you my experience with ordering online/phone.
When we were looking there was only a couple of dealerships that had the Roo we were looking for (233S) on the lot. I got quotes for those which was more $$ than ordering the camper thru RVDirect. By ordering the camper I was able to get in the in color I wanted, without an oven, larger 15k AC, power jack, slide covers, wood fridge panels and upgraded rims (none of these options w/ the campers on the lot for more $$). I'm very happy w/ our camper. And feel like dealerships leave off many nice options from the factory to charge you more $$$$ to install them later.
Down side you have to wait for the camper to be built. May have to travel to pickup.
If you decide to order the camper get quotes from other online options (RVW) and local dealership (I actually went to RVDirect local facilities and told them I had a quote from an online dealer who I felt like was a great deal, not telling them it was from them and they were competing w/ themselves. They ended up matching the deal and taking another 1K off for me to sign now. Needless to say I gave my online person the option to better that and they did). I feel like we got an awesome deal w/ all our options.
I can't help you w/ 21dk AC question. The 233S is ducted even w/ smaller AC unit.
Good luck! And remember take your time. They want you to buy same day.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

Just made a deal in a new 23IKSS and got a decent amount for my trade. Dealer has one but I don't like the interior color and I was up in the air over the two colors So I went with white. Dealer said it should be in by May so I sacrificed some camping to get what I wanted. Go with what feels right is the point I am making
Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

We ordered our 2014 21dk with literally every option except stainless and the 15k ac unit. Including wheels and thermopane windows. We paid 18500 from a local dealer, and took several months to get it. The ac is ducted in the 21dk.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #6

Thanks...exactly what I neded!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
WFD

I think much has to do with when you are purchasing...if new models are about to roll out and the dealer has stuff on the ground they would like to move. We have factory ordered 2 trailers now, and price was the same whether we ordered or took what they had. By ordering we got the colors we wanted and options we wanted. In both cases it was winter time and we were in no rush to take delivery before spring so both dealers said with the time we were looking to take delivery we could factory order and have it within that time frame, and choose our options and price would be the same. Glad we did it.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

I have order a new 2015.5 23ss from rv wholesalers and I think I got a great deal. I got to pick the options and the they built it. All said and done with safire package paid the total was around 22,000 less 4000.00 discount. Which puts the price right in line for a trailer that was built in 2014 with a model year of 2015. At the time it was 1000.00 better than the discount for units on there lot. My thinking was less time in the lot and open to the elements. With all the recent snow storms in the north east still have not taken delivery. Killing me every week to cancel due to weather. 10 hour drive to pick it up but hopefully soon. I think if you can swing it ordering may be the better option. I was in negotiations for a 2014 roo 23ss for same money from a local dealer in nj and the manufacturer date was 7/13. Was a no brainer for me at that point. Best of luck, I also believe the 21dk has ducted ac either way. Enjoy the hunt!
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Always Learning

In my opinion, ordering helped my negotiating process. I was able to get quotes from 3 or 4 dealers and was comparing exact/apples-to-apples quotes between dealers. I didn't have to mental gymnastics to account for differences in options between similar units.

Plus, I cheated- I went to wholesalers first to get quotes and used them as sticks against my dealers.

(They won, though, my dealer ended up being a big fat zero when it came to their ability to perform service. I'll almost definitely order from RV Wholesalers next time if they carry the brand that I'm looking at.)
Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #10

I am having trouble finding any area on their site regarding delivery charges (RVW)...do they offer that? I thought I heard others discuss delivery or meeting part way but not seeing it. I am not ruling out driving to Ohio but it is not my favorite idea.

I have seen them participate in the forums and in my experience that has always been a huge, huge asset when buying a product.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Ok maybe I'm missing something. "avoid a unit that may have been sitting outside covered in melting snow all winter"? Now that I'm a snowbird I don't think about it. But, when did it become a "bad thing" to winterize and let it sit in the snow? I'm understanding the new rubber roofs are not good to cover up. Mine has sat in a lot of snow with no problems. Wow! I always get the cost in writing and tell the sales person that I'm taking the quote "across the street" to compare. Happy finding!!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #12

I am not saying it is a bad thing, especially if you know your camper. I know that the ones sitting on lots are rarely checked as I have witnessed issues in multiple campers that I looked over. I also know there is a higher chance of leaks given the bunk ends.

As they would need to transport this in and I would have no ability to view it on the spot, I simply view this as a potential down side. Certainly not a deal breaker, just something in the back of my mind.

If I know my camper doesn't leak and I can check on it regularly then of course I can understand storing it outside. There are plenty of reports of leaks on brand new units that required adjustment after the sale. If the price is the same I am not seeing a downside to getting one that is newer and weathered fewer storms without observation.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
I am having trouble finding any area on their site regarding delivery charges (RVW)...do they offer that?
Yes, they offer it.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #14
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I'm sorry. It is my 1st senior moment of the day (I'm allowed 3). I forgot the type of RV. I totally agree with ordering the RV.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #15

I did not order my Roo, so I have no real input on that process...the dealer had a unit in stock that suited our family's needs. However, a couple of other things to keep in mind...There are probably hundreds of units already sitting in the snow outside of the factory. I wouldn't worry too much about it sitting at the dealer if they already have one in stock that you like. Also, if you do order, remember that it must be delivered...somewhere...unless you opt to pick it up, yourself. That is where the delay begins. The factory cranks out the units daily. There is typically a shortage of people to actually transport the units, so your new camper may be finished...maybe a month or more ahead of when you (or the dealer) actually receive it. Just some things to think about

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #16

There are many factors that go into people's motivations for consummating a deal. Your best bet is to shop around and find those individuals who are most agreeable, for what ever reason, to a accept a lower price.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #17

It should make a difference because the dealer has no real "flooring" costs. That is, he didn't have to go to the bank to park the RV on the lot until it's sold. Same thing with a car or truck. BUT you need to point this out during your negotiations.
Quote:

sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #18

Thanks all. The one unit in all of their camping world inventory is close to what I want...just a few things I would do different. I am not wanting to pay thousands more for a few preferences...but I would pay a few hundred more. Several dealers are saying prices are going up so better off not ordering.

Fair point about it sitting outside either way.

Has anyone seen cherry cabinets with wood look floor? Is it a clash? I am assuming hickory is better if I go wood floor look?

Old 02-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks all. The one unit in all of their camping world inventory is close to what I want...just a few things I would do different. I am not wanting to pay thousands more for a few preferences...but I would pay a few hundred more. Several dealers are saying prices are going up so better off not ordering.

Fair point about it sitting outside either way.

Has anyone seen cherry cabinets with wood look floor? Is it a clash? I am assuming hickory is better if I go wood floor look?

You would have to go to great effort for me to believe CW is offering you the best possible price on what you are shopping for! Their nationwide sales model isn't built for it, and I do have first hand experience with CW sales and they must maintain a pretty healthy profit margin. As far as the FR price increase goes, that already happened so they are giving you a line there. As far as the cherry cabinets with the wood look floor, DW and I agree it's not a complement. The cherry looks better with the stock tile look flooring to us. The hickory looks right at home with the wood look floor in our opinion. In other lines, FR actually changes the tone of the wood look floor to complement different cabinet finishes since the manufacturer of the flooring has dozens of colors/tones/grain for that flooring, but they don't seem to do it with the expandable line.

Best of luck with your purchase!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #20

Thanks so much for that great feedback! I have always wanted a wood look floor so kind of stuck on it. The tile look was certainly nice as well.

Hope to order this weekend. CW appears willing to match my offers and are right in line with my rv direct quote so who knows. They are a half hour from where I work so if they are close on price it is worth it.

So down to Toscana or metropolitan and then the order goes in!

Thanks again, one of the reasons I was looking at r-pods was the strong community. The fact that roo/shamrock people have been just as great has been a big factor. I know from experience how important that support network can be.