Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Dog damage...how bad

So my 13 year old hound dog that can’t move when I need him to must have gone and lost his mind but he tore a huge hole in the end bunk canvas flap that zips over the screen part of the bunk cover.

Is it fixable or am I looking at replacing the entire bunk cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30EAB15F-D733-4F06-8B1D-C8E4EA5E1C06.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	210216  
Wallcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Find a good awning /boat canvas shop and they should be able to patch it. May not be pretty, but should work.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #3

Ha. The problem is I am looking at selling the camper and upgrading at the end of the season.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #4

had a dog eat a tent once. that was easy to just pitch.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post

Poor dog.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallcamper View Post
Ha. The problem is I am looking at selling the camper and upgrading at the end of the season.
Have them put matching patches on both sides so they match.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallcamper View Post
Decide if you want to sell as is and reduce the price or have a boat canvas shop fix it right.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Team

I wouldn't buy a soft side trailer with a hole in it but I wouldn't worry too much about one with a solid patch.
Just my 2 ¢.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:52 AM   #9

Use the 3" wide Gorilla tape to patch it while the tent is still installed for YOUR use until you sell it. Let the new owner deal with either the patch or a new tent purchase. I believe I have read that a new tent end from FR is about $600... Do the research for the new buyer and present that info and discount the purchase price.

You would have to remove the entire tent to take it to a canvas place... at that point I would just want to replace the entire end.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #10

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
You pitched your tent?

Not sure if that was supposed to be a pun or not...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #12

This is an issue Im really not looking forward to dealing with. After months of begging, we got our kids a puppy in January. My wifes friends dog had a litter and we picked one up. She's half black lab, half St. Bernard. She's going to be big. She's only 7 months old now and already close to 50 lbs. And she, like most other puppy's, is extremely destructive. In the short time we've had her, she's eaten;
-a drone
-a 4 wk old pair of blue tooth headphones
-2 remote controls
-the legs on all 6 dining room chairs and table
-2 spatulas and a wooden spoon
-2 pair of shoes, left shoe only
-chewed the corners off of nearly all the kitchen cupboard doors and drawers below the counter.
-chewed off the corners on most of the window sills
-countless barbie doll heads
-the outside dryer vent off the house in the back yard
-3 chickens (spent a good part of the day digging a hole under their coop)
-2 downspouts off the house in the back yard
-anything pool related that the kids carelessly leave on the ground such as goggles, floatys, tubes, etc.
-3 of the seats on the swings from the swing set

She's crated at night and confined to a room when we're away, but she's big enough she can hop right up on a counter or table and grab something and take it to a corner when your backs turned. This has all happened when we've been home. Now we're planning to leave for Branson in 2 weeks and of course the family wants to take her with. Really not looking forward to watching her eat the camper. I know she'll try.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
This is an issue Im really not looking forward to dealing with. After months of begging, we got our kids a puppy in January. My wifes friends dog had a litter and we picked one up. She's half black lab, half St. Bernard. She's going to be big. She's only 7 months old now and already close to 50 lbs. And she, like most other puppy's, is extremely destructive. In the short time we've had her, she's eaten;
-a drone
-a 4 wk old pair of blue tooth headphones
-2 remote controls
-the legs on all 6 dining room chairs and table
-2 spatulas and a wooden spoon
-2 pair of shoes, left shoe only
-chewed the corners off of nearly all the kitchen cupboard doors and drawers below the counter.
-chewed off the corners on most of the window sills
-countless barbie doll heads
-the outside dryer vent off the house in the back yard
-3 chickens (spent a good part of the day digging a hole under their coop)
-2 downspouts off the house in the back yard
-anything pool related that the kids carelessly leave on the ground such as goggles, floatys, tubes, etc.
-3 of the seats on the swings from the swing set

She's crated at night and confined to a room when we're away, but she's big enough she can hop right up on a counter or table and grab something and take it to a corner when your backs turned. This has all happened when we've been home. Now we're planning to leave for Branson in 2 weeks and of course the family wants to take her with. Really not looking forward to watching her eat the camper. I know she'll try.
Dang. Good thing you are nice. I have feeling she would have been regifted at my house. Our "gifted" dog did a few things like yours, but near as much.

Good news is after a couple years they will get better.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
You pitched your tent?

Not sure if that was supposed to be a pun or not...

should or reread that before hitting submit. jokes are writing themselves. I threw the tent away not the dog, and he was fine.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
should or reread that before hitting submit. jokes are writing themselves. I threw the tent away not the dog, and he was fine.
I just thought it was funny that you used the phrase "pitched a tent" that meant you threw it out. Typically "pitching a tent" means you are setting it up for use.

English is such a weird language.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Typically "pitching a tent" means you are setting it up for use.
I had my 13 year old sense of humor on when I read "pitching a tent"...
Old 07-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Dang. Good thing you are nice. I have feeling she would have been regifted at my house. Our "gifted" dog did a few things like yours, but near as much.

Good news is after a couple years they will get better.
I think we're beyond "regifting". Although I've threatened to rehome her several times, the kids are way too attached now. Im hoping Im worrying for nothing and it'll be fine. I've taken a few precautions anyway. For the most part we stay outside and use the camper mostly for sleeping. So we'll just have to keep her outside with us and crate her when we go in for the night. Problem is space. Our trailer isn't real big, and there are 7 of us going on this trip. My 5 + 2 of the kids' friends. I doubt we'll have room for the 42" crate we use for her at home. So i removed the table and made a temporary crate in the dinette where the table normally sits. With people sleeping on the dinette, we'll likely not use the table at all and eat outside. We normally just use the picnic tables on any other trip anyway. Once I throw her dog bed in there, she should be comfortable and happy. And this way, if she feels the need to chew on something in the middle of the night, it will be the construction grade lumber and osb instead of the camper interior. When she outgrows this phase, I can take it back out and put the dinette back in place.

Name:	Resized952019072095203247957138.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	210527

Name:	Resized952019072095205021956642.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	210528
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #18
Summer2Go

Did you try a trainer? Does the vet have any ideas about chewing a bone or something? I have 2 Golden Doodles, and we went through a lot of this. It will definitely get better.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #19

Dog Damage

We understand that the dogs are family too. We take our wired hair dash hound and our 50lb. Husky, Rottweiler rescue dog named Bella plus 4 adults. We learned that when we leave the MH (MBS), that we have to kennel Bella, she has anxiety issues when we are not there. The blinds have been knocked off the wall and a lot of other issues. Bella is very good about going into her kennel, she loves a kong filled with peanut butter and some dog treats and we put a small bowl of water in the kennel. We leave the TV on and the ac running so she doesn't hear the outside noise. She might be in the kennel for 6 to 8 hours. We don't have a lot of room with the kennel in the MH but that's what you have to do for our family. Maybe this will help.
rotdoxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #20

How do you plan on having air circulation for the dog in that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
I think we're beyond "regifting". Although I've threatened to rehome her several times, the kids are way too attached now. Im hoping Im worrying for nothing and it'll be fine. I've taken a few precautions anyway. For the most part we stay outside and use the camper mostly for sleeping. So we'll just have to keep her outside with us and crate her when we go in for the night. Problem is space. Our trailer isn't real big, and there are 7 of us going on this trip. My 5 + 2 of the kids' friends. I doubt we'll have room for the 42" crate we use for her at home. So i removed the table and made a temporary crate in the dinette where the table normally sits. With people sleeping on the dinette, we'll likely not use the table at all and eat outside. We normally just use the picnic tables on any other trip anyway. Once I throw her dog bed in there, she should be comfortable and happy. And this way, if she feels the need to chew on something in the middle of the night, it will be the construction grade lumber and osb instead of the camper interior. When she outgrows this phase, I can take it back out and put the dinette back in place.
Attachment 210527
Attachment 210528
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote