Old 07-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #1

Dometic Fridge not getting cold

Greetings to the forum! And as always, thanks in advance.

DW and I have a 2017 23IKSS with a Dometic DMR702. Even since new, the fridge has only gotten cool, but it worked.

That changed in Early June. We were on a short range (in town) camping trip and the fridge seemed to not get cold. The freezer does get cold. This was using electrical from the campground (KOA)

Took it to an RV repair, they ran the camper/fridge on electrical for 1.5 days and it maintained 37 degrees. It was an empty fridge though.

We usually stock the fridge before our trip, use the LP to run the fridge during transit and when we arrive, change it over to electical.

Fast forward to July 2. We travel to Gettysburg for the July 4th Holiday. stocked fridge the fridge at home, as usual. Now, this year Gettysburg is under a heat warning. It was 101 degrees when we pulled in on Monday. Freezer part was running okay, but the fridge part showed 70! We have a cheap little thermometer in there.

So, off to Wally World and buy a cooler.

Freezer part still seems to work okay. We are letting it run, with just a few items that don't really need to be refridgerated, but taste better cold.

Everything else in camper works. (though the 13.5K AC is struggling with 100 degree days. Nights get down to 74!)

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

2017 Roo 23IKSS
owlandfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
Pickin' & Campin'

Are you running any kind if circulating fan in the refrigerator compartment?
Do you have any additional cooling fans in the outside compartment?
Is your thermister loose or in the correct position?
Are your doors sealing well?
Does it work this same way on both gas and electric?

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Are you running any kind if circulating fan in the refrigerator compartment?
Do you have any additional cooling fans in the outside compartment?
Is your thermister loose or in the correct position?
Are your doors sealing well?
Does it work this same way on both gas and electric?
Wow! thanks for the quick response!

Fridge is a stocker from the factory. I'll have to check on the circulating fan and I do not have an additional fan on it.
I youtube.d the thermister. WOW! and mine is loose and it pointing down. Is there a default position? It comes out of the fridge at 90 degrees and points down. The clip it sits in is loose.

I'll check the seals
It does work the same way on gas / electic
2017 Roo 23IKSS
Old 07-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlandfox View Post
Wow! thanks for the quick response!

Fridge is a stocker from the factory. I'll have to check on the circulating fan and I do not have an additional fan on it.
I youtube.d the thermister. WOW! and mine is loose and it pointing down. Is there a default position? It comes out of the fridge at 90 degrees and points down. The clip it sits in is loose.

I'll check the seals
It does work the same way on gas / electic
I found the thermister loose and pointing down to floor of fridge. I fixed the little plastic holder and snapped it in place. I pointed the thermister UP to the roof of the fridge. I looked for pictures for this fridge (DMR702) and it is not even listed on the Dometic website.

The fan does not seem to kick on, but I just completed this work at 1046, so we will let it sit and see.

Scott
2017 Roo 23IKSS
Old 07-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
I found the thermister loose and pointing down to floor of fridge. I fixed the little plastic holder and snapped it in place. I pointed the thermister UP to the roof of the fridge. I looked for pictures for this fridge (DMR702) and it is not even listed on the Dometic website.

The fan does not seem to kick on, but I just completed this work at 1046, so we will let it sit and see.

Scott

Try to get the thermistor near the top, higher towards the ceiling makes it colder, lower towards the floor makes it warmer in your fridge. you can also unplug the thermistor from the board and this will make the fridge run full blast

is the fan in the back of the fridge? if there is one back there and not working right, heat will build up behind the fridge and make the fridge work harder.

I have a fridge in the slide. I removed the original fan and now have 4 fans, two pointing up the chamber blowing on the coils and two hooked to the exhaust vent sucking air and blowing out of the vent. make sure the fan is working if you have one

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:

Scott
R/V fridges take a while to cool and stabilize.

With your thermister having fell off (common problem) give it a little time and hopefully all is well.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #7

When we arrived at the CG on Sunday it was 95, but very low humidity. Ran on LP on way up and was 47 degrees inside. Once hooked to shore power it took another day to get down to 32. Freezer was 20 when arrived, but now 0.

We also put ice in the bottom storage bins to help cool along the way.

Safe and happy travels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forest River Forums mobile app
Days camped 2018: 15
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #8

These fridges take a long time to cool down, especially if the outside temp is high. Do you start the unit at home 2 days before your trips? If possible, do that. Also , only put cold food in the unit. You can't fill it with warm beer and expect it to cool it. Won't happen.
I usually put some frozen meat in the fridge to help cool it. It will start thawing in the fridge and start the cooling process.
I also keep mine plugged in at home most of the camping season. Only exception is if it will be more than a couple weeks between trips, like now.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

RV fridges do take a long time to cool down. I always turn ours on the day before going out. I also put some water bottles in the freezer and then put them in the fridge to help it along. so far so good.
Philkaty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #10

As others have said, these refrigerators take awhile to cool down. More than the freezer section. Some like to put in already cold food items to speed up the cooling. As RV units are usually much smaller than home units, it is quite common to overfill them which can have a negative affect. Also, these units like to sit fairly level.

Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Shikibu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge