Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator problems

We are coming up to the one year anniversary of on our 2017 IKSS and are taking her back to the dealer for the 3rd time. Same problem each time, our refrigerator won't turn on. No lights and no cooling. The first time this happened we were passing through Rapid City and stopped at a dealer. He said it was the thermal switch (pretty sure that was what he called it) and happened to have one on hand. Switched it out and we were on our way. That was August. About two weeks later on our way home (Las Vegas) from Yellowstone it happened again. Since we were to arrive home that day we just took it to Camping World here. After having our camper for 4 months (they did some other minor warranty work as well. We had our camper back. Now we will be taking it back to them Thursday. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and if there was an underlying cause. Or any suggestions to keep it from happening again. Thanks everyone.
lme8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

Since you don't say what model of Dometic refrigerator you have, there's not much help we can give you. You can look in the Library > Appliance section of the forum in the light green bar at the top of each page and see if there has been a owners manual and service manual uploaded for your model. Forest River Forums - Downloads
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the fridge is probably the 2652 or similar.

If it's burning the thermal fuses that regularly, then it sounds like you have an air flow problem. it could be a baffle or something else blocking or disturbing the airflow around the fuses location. If the flue isn't blocked then adding a fan or two in the flue should help move the heat up and out and keep the fuse from burning.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #4

We had a similar issue with our 23IKSS. Twice while traveling through hot weather (105F +) we lost 12V power to the fridge. Dealer replaced the fuse once, when it failed the second time I purchased replacements from Amazon and replaced it myself. Have not had a reoccurrence since then. Take a look at this thread or Google “df152s and Dometic”.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-131331.html
Forellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #5

Quote:
we just took it to Camping World here. After having our camper for 4 months (they did some other minor warranty work as well. We had our camper back. Now we will be taking it back to them Thursday.
4 months wait time and you are going to do this again?

many on this forum call independent repair shops or mobile repair people and get things fixed in days not weeks or months, even under warranty...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
4 months wait time and you are going to do this again?

many on this forum call independent repair shops or mobile repair people and get things fixed in days not weeks or months, even under warranty...
I thought dealers were the only ones who could do warranty work and they are the only one. I will look into what other repair places are in Vegas. Thanks!
lme8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lme8200 View Post
I thought dealers were the only ones who could do warranty work and they are the only one. I will look into what other repair places are in Vegas. Thanks!
We were told ANY Forest River dealer can do repairs and if you get prior approval from FR, any qualified repair shop can do work and you'll be reimbursed after the repair is done.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic