Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #21

First let me sign up. First time I did was a Lance camper sitting up on the truck. Pulled the anode rod without taking out the pressure and got a face full of that white crud. The second time was a calculated risk. Closer to the ground and I cleverly thought that the pressure would help flush the tank I did, it did, and I got it in the crotch, but only warm thank you. I know a lot of you prefer to travel empty but we have a toy hauler and seldom take toys. We can therefore afford the weight of the water, & I prefer to fill up at home where I know the water quality. I fill through several washer screens but with home water I can omit the filter and it seems like letting the chlorinated water go into the tank goes a long way to avoid stinky water. If I'm feeling up anywhere else, unless I taste the water and it tastes really good, I run it all through a filter and that filter takes out most of the chlorine, so I know that water won't last very long.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #22

I posted about this a few months back when I was draining the system to check the anode for replacement . The unit was setting over the winter and hadn't been used in a good while, anyway, it took 8 stitches total to my thumb and forefinger when I unscrewed it the pressure was unbelievable! And no it wasn't hot water. Never make that mistake again, as I drain the pressure thru the pressure relief valve when we leave a camp.
BIG LACY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #23
Mrs. Gatraid

Thanks
GATRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #24

I also open my pressure relief valve and then pull the anode rod to drain tank after each outing. I figure the 3-5 minutes extra it takes to drain (and inspect anode rod) when done as well as the 3-5 minutes to fill that tank back up before going out again is worth a little piece of mind for two things....1) I don't end up with stale STANKY water in there and 2) I can EASILY get my anode rod out and back in. Have read here before about folks leaving that rod in place forever and then when they NEED to pull for inspection or replacement, they can't get it out because it is rusted in place.

P.S. a little trick I have gotten into the habit of doing, I open the press. relief only to bleed pressure off then close it back up...move to the anode rod removal which is met with a slow gurgle of water flow, step to the side and open the press. relief back up and watch the flow of water ramp up FAST! carries sediment left in bottom of tank out with it too and keeps me from getting soaking wet in the mean time....I did EXACTLY what the OP did my first time too..water was a little below boiling so it only hurt for a few minutes...DOH!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk133 View Post
Or you get to take a hot bath...

4th time out. Got a little complacent with the routine. Won't forget again.

I looked like skyhawk133 with much more debris from head to toe
The pressure knocked the socket off the ratchet and the white spray went six feet down the side of the trailer
While I did forget to drain the tank, I remembered to drain my fresh water both hot and cold a year ago so the pressure that built up was all from the chemical reaction of the anode rod dissolving completely
The plug itself went missing
Thanks for the membership to the plug launch club
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
I looked like skyhawk133 with much more debris from head to toe
The pressure knocked the socket off the ratchet and the white spray went six feet down the side of the trailer
While I did forget to drain the tank, I remembered to drain my fresh water both hot and cold a year ago so the pressure that built up was all from the chemical reaction of the anode rod dissolving completely
The plug itself went missing
Thanks for the membership to the plug launch club

So it is looking more and more like we have all done that. But I know for sure I won't do it again.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure