Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
kpm

Door Seal / Pinch Welt?

Hi,

I have been inspecting my door seals since there is still a slight leak after the dealer made their first repair attempt.

Is the technical name for the black seal material called "Pinch Welt"? and can I order it directly if I needed extra?

Has anyone replaced this on their own before? Initially, I looked at this as a complex seal. However, now after closer inspection it looks like a customer could correct an issue with this themselves. It looks like weather striping with double sided tape.

My unit is under warranty, but if I can fix a simple issue easily and save fuel, a days work and an hour travel time to the dealer I'm ok with that.

If you look at the pics, it looks like my seal/door trim was not installed consistently and evenly from the factory. If you notice there are gaps where the vertical strip meets the horizontal strip. This could be where rain water is getting in. That application of the seal does not look water tight. I would have thought that the technician would have noticed that. This is why I would rather try and do it myself correctly and with care if I can.

Do the seals look acceptable or am I looking too much into them?

Thanks!

Kip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right front corner seal side 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	55644   Click image for larger version

Name:	right front corner seal side 2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	55645   Click image for larger version

Name:	right front seal door open.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	55646   Click image for larger version

Name:	right rear seal door open.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	55647  
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
kpm

some additional pics before and after the repair. As I look more into this I find more and more that looks odd to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top right seal before repair.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	55648   Click image for larger version

Name:	top right seal after repair.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	55649  
Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
kpm

Sorry for asking again, but has anyone had this problem and replaced this black seal? Does the application of this foam from the factory look normal or was it not done correctly? I''m guessing the vertical and horizontal strips of foam should at least meet each other with no gaps. Is it called a rubber seal or is it referred to as pinch welt that I saw talked about on older models. Again, sorry for asking again, I'm just trying to resolve this slight problem that I am having. If this is a simple job and will not interfere with my warranty I'd rather just do it. It's a big event getting back to the dealer.

Thanks a lot.

Tags
door