Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Double towing with a Roo 21BH

New to the forum so please excuse any early busts in protocol.

I have a 21BH Roo here in Colorado. I fish a ton and would like to tow my drift boat behind the Roo. Total weight of the boat and trailer is less than 2K lbs. I have found a hitch which will work but I am concerned about if the Roo frame and receiver can handle the extra load. No power issues up front - 2013 F250 diesel.

Thoughts???

Erik
Esoderquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

Welcome,read up on light frames and you will (NOT) want to use a (Roo) for a (Tow Vehicle). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #3

Maybe do some frame reinforcements before towing. The frames are built to be just barely good enough for the camper they were built for. If it is less than a year old (Roo) it will void your warranty as well if you put a hitch on it.

If you are in the Denver area and want to know a place that will do that pm me and I will give you details.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

I have seen many rigs like this, but most states require the middle trailer to be a fiver. Some require a commercial license, too. Triple towing is not for a beginning driver, either. The most important thing I've noticed is putting a WDH on the second trailer puts the tongue weight back on the first trailer, but you will have to do a full-length reinforcement of the Roo trailer. Essentially you will have to add a sub-frame along the full length of the Roo.
Not an easy thing, nor something to be taken lightly.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Site Team

the Roo has an ultra-light frame, not engineered to be towing something else.
as was said, such usage will void the frame warranty. in fact, welding a receiver to the frame will do that also.
the pics Big Baron has posted, are trailers that DON'T have ultra-light frames.

it's your trailer and you can do what you want but be forewarned.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Incheon, S. Korea

Yup, that's why you'd have to weld an entire sub-frame under the Roo.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

I was told putting bikes on the back of a Roo was a bad idea due to lack of welds and it would void the warranty, so I'm guessing putting a boat back there would be a bad idea as well.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Broken Toe

While you are thinking about this, remember one thing...

What you CAN do, and what you SHOULD do are very separate things. Can you put a hitch on your Roo? Sure. Should you? Probably not.

You may tow like that for a while with no issues, but the 'margin for error' will be so small that something as minor as a blown trailer tire could become something as serious as 3 trashed vehicles and God forbid a loss of life.

As an example of this, I submit for your approval a picture of my friend Paul, who decided his F150 CAN tow a bulldozer, instead of asking if it SHOULD. (for the record, it towed it just fine, all the way up to the point it didn't tow it fine)

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paul.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	40742  

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #9

That looks like a Dodge not a Ford!!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

Plan B - drift boat in the bed of the TV, or on a roof rack.

eide boat loader | We Put Fun Back In Fishing.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #11

LOL! I have to hijack this and ask, How did the bulldozer end up off the front of the flatbed?????
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #12

First off, the roo is a light weight frame yes, but I feel that this could still be done safely. If you assume the 10% tongue weight rule is true here, the boat and trailer would have 200 LBS or less. (I would guess less being a drift boat but we will stick with that for this scenario.

Many people are quick to judge on things they haven't done or appear to intimidate them. Double towing definitely isn't for everyone but doesn't mean with some experience and appropriate setup this can and is being done safely!

Here is a link to state laws for towing. I was actually referred to it by the NE state patrol when I was questioning this!
Towing World Official Website

I would suggest doing much research on this, and make sure that you have an appropriate hitch installed.

The comment of installing a second weight distribution hitch on the rear trailer is an awful idea as that will be putting un needed stress into the frame of the camper. I would however suggest a sway control system IE friction sway bars on the rear trailer to help keep it from wagging.

I tow 36' bumper pull and a single spot jet ski behind. I have pulled this on trips over 250 miles one way with minimal issues. Only issue being in 30+ mph winds I felt a little too much sway for my comfort, which I'm sure I would've felt whether there was a jet ski tagging or not, and needed to slow down to 55MPH. For the most part my trailer will actually pull nicer with the jet ski on the back.

Only couple of tips I suggest if you do tow doubles, is to remember if you begin to sway either reach down and grab you brake controller and manually apply the brakes to the camper. This will force the truck and camper into a line which will then calm the rear trailer down as well. The other is the obvious issue of backing up, but I suggest trying to plan your stops accordingly so you DONT have to back up. I do this whether I have 1 trailer or 2 regardless, just smart traveling...

Otherwise I say take things cautiously, and make sure YOU check into the legalities and what will make this safe and or doable for you and your family. Seeing you plan to tow with a diesel the TV should stay in control unless something catastrophic happens...

Here is a shot of my rig, I weighed it, I weighed it again and then I weighed it again to verify I wasn't over loaded or under loaded where I need. I have done this with 2 campers and No issues with wear and tear or damage to the frame...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daisy duke and ski.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	40746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duke and the train.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	40747  

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea

The WDH on the second trailer idea came from a guy who has towed a heavy triple for a long time. He said it was the last piece of the four-year puzzle to make his rig stable. He had a professional engineer design the reinforcements to his fiver, and used dual brake controllers. Here is his rig.

Since your boat's weight will be a significant proportion of your HTTs weight, the boat's tongue weight may affect the behavior of your HTT by unloading the tongue.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #14

That's pretty interesting actually! Thanks for sharing that!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
While you are thinking about this, remember one thing...

What you CAN do, and what you SHOULD do are very separate things. Can you put a hitch on your Roo? Sure. Should you? Probably not.

You may tow like that for a while with no issues, but the 'margin for error' will be so small that something as minor as a blown trailer tire could become something as serious as 3 trashed vehicles and God forbid a loss of life.

As an example of this, I submit for your approval a picture of my friend Paul, who decided his F150 CAN tow a bulldozer, instead of asking if it SHOULD. (for the record, it towed it just fine, all the way up to the point it didn't tow it fine)

Tim
That looks on the order of a D-4 at or about 5 tons plus the weight of the trailer.

Any 1/2 ton can pull that........
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
...As an example of this, I submit for your approval a picture of my friend Paul, who decided his F150 CAN tow a bulldozer, instead of asking if it SHOULD. (for the record, it towed it just fine, all the way up to the point it didn't tow it fine)

Tim
Looks like he might have made it had he chained the dozer down properly. Not the trucks fault, operator error for not securing the load.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
LOL! I have to hijack this and ask, How did the bulldozer end up off the front of the flatbed?????
He was short at least one 1/2 inch nylon rope to secure that puppy when he hit the brakes. he should have had more brews before heading out.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #18

How about one of these instead. Porta Bote | The Unique Folding Boat
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Looks like he might have made it had he chained the dozer down properly. Not the trucks fault, operator error for not securing the load.
Technically correct. The dozer developed a bad rod knock way the hell out on the far end of his property. Paul didn't want to drive it back to his garage under its own power. He figured that it would be fine with just the parking brake set and the bucket down, just across some gravel farm roads on his property at low speeds. The parking brake didn't hold, and he though he swears he didnt, I am convinced he had the bucket in 'float' (if it was down and not in float, the bucket could not be sitting on the trailer with the ass end down so far).

He stopped and... well... the dozer didn't. So yes, it was not a problem with the truck, but still, just cause you can don't mean you should. Had he gone faster than 15 MPH, I am sure the truck would not have enough ass to keep it out of the ditches. If the tail wagged the dog, it would have ended FAR worse.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
I was told putting bikes on the back of a Roo was a bad idea due to lack of welds and it would void the warranty, so I'm guessing putting a boat back there would be a bad idea as well.
We just picked up our Shamrock 23IKSS on Oct. 04. Among the MANY stickers they love to put on a new camper, there was one on the bumper that basically said that if you attach ANYTHING to the bumper or frame, NO WARRANTY FOR YOU!! This was disappointing as I wanted to use our existing bike rack.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote