Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Draws while traveling

We just got back from our first camping trip in our new Shamrock 21SS. Everything went good..Couldnt use the AC as we had no power at the site but I added another battery and electric lasted fine for everyhing else. Only problem when we got home the kitchen table was on its side. Didn't read anywhere about it but maybe the table should be in bed mode while traveling to prevent that? Also the 2 draws under the sink we use for silverware were out and both angled down? Is that how you should travel with them? All the other many cabinets and draws stay closed fine but these 2 don't seem to lock closed. If you open both at the same time they angle down low. I don't know if thats what they should do or if they are broke..
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

dont know about the drawers but the table should have stayed there. was the road rough? guess it couldnt hurt to put it into bed mode even if nothings on it.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Its was twisty and such but nothing happened driving the 1.5 hrs there or the initial 2 hrs coming home from the dealer. No panic stops or anything. Took it nice and easy.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I read somewhere (or it might have been the PDI) that the table should be in bed mode for travel. I also had to put latches on the dinette drawers (and the pantry door for that matter) to keep them closed while traveling.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #5

I had the exact same issue with the drawers on our first trip out. Those metal drawers guides are so smooth - they do not hold the drawers in that well.

- First I removed the drawers and put a few more screws down on the piece of wood that hold the assembly down on the floor.

- Second I now use a short bungie cord to hold all drawers closed when travelling - problem solved.

I also use a bungie cord across the dinette under the table - over the folding legs - does not move at all.

Gotta be creative sometimes.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Team

the table will "walk" if you leave it up. we always put it down when traveling.
you need to have the drawer stops/tracks checked out. shouldn't be opening unless you've done some tight curves.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #7

The (Tilt) down when in the out position is probably due to broken plastic rear slide holders. Replace with metal ones. Then put (Child locks) on the drawers. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

As I mentionned for the tilted drawers, the two drawers on metal slide/guide are attached to a wood frame/box, screwed to the floor with 2 screws. The weight of the drawers when fully open simply pulls the whole frame down and it tilts forward. I added a few screws and now use a bungie cord wrapped around the handles now to keep the drawers closed, works well.

I tried using child locks on the drawers but it was a pain to open them.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
As I mentionned for the tilted drawers, the two drawers on metal slide/guide are attached to a wood frame/box, screwed to the floor with 2 screws. The weight of the drawers when fully open simply pulls the whole frame down and it tilts forward. I added a few screws and now use a bungie cord wrapped around the handles now to keep the drawers closed, works well.

I tried using child locks on the drawers but it was a pain to open them.
I was wondering if it was supposed to tilt down and left open when traveling. I guess not. lol. Now that the frame has lifted out the doors don't seem to close flush. Will have to take another look at it and maybe screw it down like you did. What do you tie the bungie ends to? just handle to handle?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #10

I have a 19 - could be different on yours.
to the left of the drawers is the oven, with a door underneath
to the right I have a small cupboard

I zig-zag all the handles with the bungie cord, easy as pie.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #11

To the left of my draws is a large cabinet of the under sink storage and to the right is the fridge. I guess I could tie it to the cabinet next to it. I first have to deal with the frame as the 2 draws dont seem to close flush now..
Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #12

I had the same problem with the drawers and the main support in back pulled loose causing the downward tilt. When I brought it in for repair the service guy showed me how to set the drawrs for travel - you have to shut them very firmly and a catch will engage which will prevent them from opening on the road.
We always travel with the table down.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #13

I finally looked more closely at it. The frame for the draws was attached to the floor with a single screw that came up. With the top draw removed and the bottom attached so I could level the draw, I replaced the screw and added a second. Not sure whats under it so I didnt go crazy with to many screws. Now the draws close flush but no matter how hard you push no catch engages so I guess I will try the bungie cord method..
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #14

Bungie cord worked great !! Draws stayed in on the last trip
Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #15

We had the same problem as you with the drawers, and like many have said we took the drawers out and added three screws to the bottom base-wood to add support. Problem fixed.
NONI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock