Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

Driftwood RV in Ocean View NJ

Everyone stay away from driftwood the service manager is a complete ass, I called Forest River and they said I can go there for warranty work. I called driftwood and made an appointment for today a month ago even confirmed yesterday. I get there today and they said they had no appointment and don't want my warranty business, but after telling them I am in no rush they agreed to take it in. I was talking to the sale guy and was going to disconnect my Roo the service manage comes over (sneaky sob) and tells me he doesn't want to do my work because I didn't buy from him? Really I called twice and they agreed to take, driver 150 miles and then you decide you don't want to do the work after filling all the paperwork out with your service department then got real nasty with the GF and I.

I called my original dealer in Ashland Virginia so taking a 300 mile ride to them and they were as nice as pie. They informed me FR dealers have the right to refuse warranty work, but when I told him they agreed at first then changed their mind he said that is crappy business like attitude.

I have never in my life dealt with an industry with such a poor attitude towards customers, they are still getting paid by FR for work so at a slow time of year how to check in and agree to fix and RV then at the last minute say you don't want my business just because I didn't buy from them shame on Forest River and Driftwood can go F... Themselves, I am besides myself right now and will never buy another FR product again if this is what they allow to happen with their RV's. It is like once you buy one and FR and the dealers have your money they don't give a **** what happens. So Done with FR and that dealer

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

It is ashame.. And very sad. The worst part is this is now they all operate (manufacturers). There are a few dealers out there who seem to care and do their best but they seem to be far and few between! Not sure if it is just down right poor services or the fact that they are all swamped with sometimes less than desirable quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
.... they are still getting paid by FR for work so at a slow time of year how to check in and agree to fix and RV then at the last minute say you don't want my business just because I didn't buy from them...
I would assume that, just like with auto dealers, the factory pays them a set price for the warranty repairs which USUALLY doesn't fully compensate them for the work. Therefore, they "lose" money on warranty repairs. If they've got more than enough business from non-warranty repairs, why would they want to take on money-losing business that competes with money-making business?

That being said, it IS dirty pool to say they'd do it, then change their minds when you're about to leave it. And the manufacturers should hold them to do warranty work, no matter where it comes from. (I would suspect that in the end, the amount of work would still even out.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #4

I don't know why, but when I talk to the Service Manager at the local FR store, he acts like I'm bothering him. The owners are a group of investors and don't care about customer service. If you beg he will eventually help. I have let him know I don't care for his attitude, but no change. I'm sure an expert will chime in with the secret handshake, but I'm only stating real world. Buyer beware. I will make sure the next one knows what I expect before the sale.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Wicked, unfortunately this something industry-wide, not just with FR dealers.
I am on other RV forums and I constantly read tons of the same complaints from non-FR owners, even hallowed Jayco gets the same complaints.
So you'll probably find the same issues, no matter what other brand you buy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

I get it is an industry wide issue but I am going to rethink buying new again since they really do not want to service a 12 month warranty anyway, my dealer where I Purchased is doing the work but who knows how their service center will be, I will give them a fair chance before doubting them though.

I just think buying a 2-4 year old unit will be the way I go after I am done with my Roo and go to a Lite 5er, thinking of a used 2013-2015 Crusader 295 when I do. I also bought an extended care warranty EasyCare for my Roo but think I should cancel that warranty only because I do not feel I really need the extended warranty? I wouldn't even need the warranty work if they did a better job at quality control, FR CC is so bad they left all the wood chips and shavings and cut pieces of wire under my bathroom sink, in the front compartment and all over every cabinet especially styrofoam balls in my LED lights, just not acceptable.

I think the best move for me going forward is to find a good used Crusader and just change the things I do not like and just tweak it to my style, but I want to get at least 1-2 more years out of my Roo.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

That's why I think most should shop for best price. This is not manufacturer specific it seems to be industry wide. Obviously dealers are making lots of money and don't need the work. Their excuse they cant match a price from another dealer is because they won't match it. They must not need the sale. I hate when FR says by local and its no better if you bought across the country. Again not picking on FR this is an industry wide problem. Dealers who dont want to perform service should be pointed out and let the buyer decide if they would support them with future patronage. With that said some owners are ridiculous. They find a loose screw and bring it back to the dealer and complain their unit is junk. Those owners are now RV owners. Learn how to use a screw driver because you will need it your house has wheels and things break.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

Wicked1, I feel your pain. I have had a couple dealings with the service manager at that dealership. He is a total ass. I felt like reaching across the desk and snatching him up. Thank GOD I no longer need that dealer for anything anymore. The stories are to long to tell on here. I don't know the guys name and don't want to. The general Manger Bob is better to deal with he's much more understanding but you really have to put the pressure on him . I have to leave it at that I am starting to get worked up thinking about that guy. You my friend are not alone. Happy Camping.
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #9

Two things: #1, I love my '04 Surveyor. Every time I think about getting a newer/bigger RV, I just read the FR Form and say no thanks. Sad really.
#2, dealers: White Horse in Williamstown, NJ is OK with me. Service manager, Steve, took the time two weeks to walk me thru a problem. If I ever buy another I would buy from them.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPP View Post
Two things: #1, I love my '04 Surveyor. Every time I think about getting a newer/bigger RV, I just read the FR Form and say no thanks. Sad really.
#2, dealers: White Horse in Williamstown, NJ is OK with me. Service manager, Steve, took the time two weeks to walk me thru a problem. If I ever buy another I would buy from them.
Speaking of Whitehorse. They have a newer store location on Route 30 (Whitehorse Pike) just east of Egg Harbor City. They sell and service Forest River products so I've been there before with no problems.
Maybe they could help the OP. Ask for Kaci. She handles warranty work.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
Wicked1, I feel your pain. I have had a couple dealings with the service manager at that dealership. He is a total ass. I felt like reaching across the desk and snatching him up. Thank GOD I no longer need that dealer for anything anymore. The stories are to long to tell on here. I don't know the guys name and don't want to. The general Manger Bob is better to deal with he's much more understanding but you really have to put the pressure on him . I have to leave it at that I am starting to get worked up thinking about that guy. You my friend are not alone. Happy Camping.

I just walked away from him but the GF wanted to reach across the desk, so I decided to leave and just use my original dealer and call it a day. It is better I found that out yesterday then to leave my Roo there and have them do a 1/2 Asa's job since I do have 4 major issues I can't fix as I don't have the parts but I fixed all the small things and I am ok with fixing most issues. I am glad you moved in and have a better time, Happy Camping to you too my friend and Happy Holidays

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Speaking of Whitehorse. They have a newer store location on Route 30 (Whitehorse Pike) just east of Egg Harbor City. They sell and service Forest River products so I've been there before with no problems.

Maybe they could help the OP. Ask for Kaci. She handles warranty work.

I will call them but I think to get everything done I should just to my original dealer once the base warranty expires doesn't matter anymore I will fix most stuff on my own but if this is like my Shasta I should be ok as far as longevity 🤔

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPP View Post

Friends of mine bought their Jayco Precip from them and they have been very happy with the deal and work they do so I might just have to try them

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

Unfortunately, warranty service from a non selling dealer is the same in both industries I have experience in . The boating and office equipment industry. In the office equipment industry all warranty costs are paid for out of the selling price of the equipment. Some parts have warranty coverage by the manufacturer. In the boating industry, larger bosts, the manufacturer only warrants what he manufactures, the fiberglass. Aii components, engines, refrigerators, pumps etc are warranted by their respective manufacturers.
The RV industry is no different than any other industry that assembles a multitude of components that create a finished product.
If you interested in service base you buying decision on service only and not on product. If you are interested in a particular brand or Floorplan then base you decision on that brand and the selling dealers service history. If price is driving your decision be prepared to do most of your repairs yourself.
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #15

This won't help you right now but for future reference or for non-warranty work take a look at Classic RV in Monroeville NJ. They are not a dealer but do excellent service work at reasonable prices.

Most of their sales are consignment sales but they still guarantee everything to work properly. My last few trailers have come from them and I have been very pleased!

The unit I have right now is an 08 Rockwood 8280ss 5er. It is 8 years old so decided to have the roof resealed. There were no leaks but didn't want to wait for any to start. They gave me a lifetime warrantee and it cost me $500.00 to have it done. I think that price was fair. While they had it I had them install a 14 foot topper over my slide out, cost $750.00.

I will never buy new, I see too many problems with them. But I will never hesitate to buy used from Classic RV. They have treated me very well. Their service managers name is Jim Schuler. They are a small family owned business and worth looking at.

Classic RV Sales

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
This won't help you right now but for future reference or for non-warranty work take a look at Classic RV in Monroeville NJ. They are not a dealer but do excellent service work at reasonable prices.

Most of their sales are consignment sales but they still guarantee everything to work properly. My last few trailers have come from them and I have been very pleased!

The unit I have right now is an 08 Rockwood 8280ss 5er. It is 8 years old so decided to have the roof resealed. There were no leaks but didn't want to wait for any to start. They gave me a lifetime warrantee and it cost me $500.00 to have it done. I think that price was fair. While they had it I had them install a 14 foot topper over my slide out, cost $750.00.

I will never buy new, I see too many problems with them. But I will never hesitate to buy used from Classic RV. They have treated me very well. Their service managers name is Jim Schuler. They are a small family owned business and worth looking at.

Classic RV Sales

Jim

D to know and I will consider them when looking so thank you

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
Broken Toe

Ya know, stories like this make me glad that I just fix my own problems. I have had 2 or three small issues that I could have gone to the dealer for, but it was less headache (and probably less money counting my fuel) to just fix them myself.

Even my buddy, who broke the push-arm off his slide (link here) figured it was less hassle to just weld it back on instead of going through all the bullcrap of trying to get a warranty repair. I know not everyone has a welder, and the skills to do every repair, but a lot of minor thing like mine were really a simple 20 minutes and a screwdriver type of fix.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Ya know, stories like this make me glad that I just fix my own problems. I have had 2 or three small issues that I could have gone to the dealer for, but it was less headache (and probably less money counting my fuel) to just fix them myself.

Even my buddy, who broke the push-arm off his slide (link here) figured it was less hassle to just weld it back on instead of going through all the bullcrap of trying to get a warranty repair. I know not everyone has a welder, and the skills to do every repair, but a lot of minor thing like mine were really a simple 20 minutes and a screwdriver type of fix.

Tim
" I totally agree with you Cowracer. I always fix all my stuff and have for years. To me it's not worth taking the rig back if I buy one far from home or it's a warranty issue. My dealings with the nasty Service Manager was sales related issues on both occasion's".
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
" I totally agree with you Cowracer. I always fix all my stuff and have for years. To me it's not worth taking the rig back if I buy one far from home or it's a warranty issue. My dealings with the nasty Service Manager was sales related issues on both occasion's".

You dealt with the guy at Driftwood too?

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #20

Sorry to hear wicked1 I did have a deposit on a roo 21ss there before I found the 23ss at rvwholesalers. It took 3 weeks to get my deposit back which I was told was refundable at any time. Just left a bad taste! I have a warranty issue with my table. Hoping I can deal with campingworld in lakewood? Will find out. Good luck with your repairs.
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote