Old 02-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Question Due Dillingence on a 23ss

Hi Folks-

First time poster here. Thanks for having me!

My wife and I are very close to purchasing a Roo 23ss. We've had a Coleman Santa Fe since '99, and we're convinced that we don't want to move away from sleeping under canvas. But as we're growing older, we'd like more comfort and convenience. So before we pull the trigger, I'd like to ask a few questions-

1) Our TV will be a '07 Ford F-150 with a 4.6L V-8 and a 3.55 rear end. Ford states that the heaviest weight to be towed be no more than 6500#. The Roo 'dry weight' is 4300#, but I understand that that figure is suspect, and does not include liquids and 'stuff'. Most of our traveling will be around our home state of Michigan, but we do venture west every year, and usually cross at least two passes of 11-12,000 feet in altitude. Does anyone think that our truck won't be adequate?

2) What options do you consider to be necessities, and which are fluff?

3) Much of our camping will be in NFS campgrounds with no elec or water hook ups. We'll carry a generator for the times that we'll be drawing a lot of power, such as showers. We're well disciplined in conserving our battery, but this thing has a lot of lights and gizmos. Are options available for a more robust 12v system?

4) In non-elec camps, we'll be using the gas option on our refrigerator; are the Roo refrigerators adequate to meeting the challenge of keeping food cold and safe during high summer when gas is used?

Thanks for your time and consideration. We've been shopping for nearly two years and are pretty much sold on this trailer, but we'd like to avoid any surprises!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

Your weight should be fine but keep it in mind and weight it fully loaded to double check. You will need to at least double your battery amp hour and look at installing LED light bulbs to help conserve power. Two 6 volts batteries would increase your AHs and save some generator time.
Your refrigerator will be fine on propane and keep everything cold. There are some inexpensive portable solar options available that are in the 45 watt range that would augment your batteries.
Good luck!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

you will end up buying a new vehicle, it will limp by
Old 02-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Hi Folks-

First time poster here. Thanks for having me!

My wife and I are very close to purchasing a Roo 23ss. We've had a Coleman Santa Fe since '99, and we're convinced that we don't want to move away from sleeping under canvas. But as we're growing older, we'd like more comfort and convenience.
we were in our 50's when we bought our Roo 23SS and have had no problems with comfort/convenience and still love the canvas experience. we do use a mattress foam topper, like nearly everyone else. compared to our previous popups, the Roo has all kinds of conveniences.

So before we pull the trigger, I'd like to ask a few questions-

1) Our TV will be a '07 Ford F-150 with a 4.6L V-8 and a 3.55 rear end. Ford states that the heaviest weight to be towed be no more than 6500#. The Roo 'dry weight' is 4300#, but I understand that that figure is suspect, and does not include liquids and 'stuff'. Most of our traveling will be around our home state of Michigan, but we do venture west every year, and usually cross at least two passes of 11-12,000 feet in altitude. Does anyone think that our truck won't be adequate?
because you have a smaller v-8 and a poor rear end ratio, you don't have a great tow vehicle. according to the 2007 Ford towing guide, your truck can tow between 6000lbs. and 6500lbs. not a lot of cushion to tow a 23SS which could weigh near 5500lbs. when loaded.
to nail down what it can tow, need to know what cab size, wheelbase, 4x2 or 4x4 or GCWR rating. bottom line is that it'll probably struggle thru the mountains.

2) What options do you consider to be necessities, and which are fluff?
heated mattresses are the Bomb, if you have hookups. slide topper is a must. day/night shades are worth it. power tongue jack is a definite yes.
aluminum/chrome wheels, stainless steel appliances and power awning are not necessary, IMHO.

3) Much of our camping will be in NFS campgrounds with no elec or water hook ups. We'll carry a generator for the times that we'll be drawing a lot of power, such as showers. We're well disciplined in conserving our battery, but this thing has a lot of lights and gizmos. Are options available for a more robust 12v system?
we almost always dry camp and we are fine with our two 12v deep cycle batteries and our Honda 2000 generator. the new Roos come with LED lighting which will help a lot. i also installed a 400w inverter to run the tv/dvd if we want to watch tv and to charge our electronics. you could use two 6v golf cart batteries for the ultimate dry camping setup for a Roo. not sure why'd you would be drawing lots of power for the shower. the pump doesn't draw that much and you only have 6 gallons of water.

4) In non-elec camps, we'll be using the gas option on our refrigerator; are the Roo refrigerators adequate to meeting the challenge of keeping food cold and safe during high summer when gas is used?
the fridge/freezer easily keeps everything cool. the newer ones have a fridge fan.

Thanks for your time and consideration. We've been shopping for nearly two years and are pretty much sold on this trailer, but we'd like to avoid any surprises!
feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbison View Post
you will end up buying a new vehicle, it will limp by
Jim was 100% right... Our Ford tows our 21SS very well on a nice, flat expressway. But on a three week western trip from which we just returned, it strained mightily on the Iowa hills and Wyoming passes. We limped over Togwotee Pass outside of GTNP at 35 mph with the pedal to the floor and the trans making noise like it was about to explode. And heading west on I-80 between Laramie and Rawlins, the famous Wyoming wind limited us to 55mph and generated a fuel consumption figure of 6.5 mpg. I love that truck; with over 110,000 miles on it, it got us out & brought us home on a trip that saw an additional 5,000 miles added to the odometer. But I'll be buying a different, more powerful truck before our next big trip. For towing a load that probably didn't exceed 6,000# over some dramatic terrain, it was woefully under gunned.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #6

Dan's answers were right on the money imo. The comfort and convenience of the Roo compared to a pup are like night and day and are what drew us to the hybrids. I too grew tired of the extra work of the pup but we still liked sleeping under canvas . I'm 68 and short but setting up and tearing down is a piece of cake. Wife and I have a system that works for us and it's no big deal. You will probably find it is much quicker than your pop up. Anyway, good luck with your purchase and let us know how your first trip goes.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #7

I completely agree with the feedback and definitely second the notion that night shades and heated mattresses are awesome. I actually am fine without the slide topper but I have a smaller slide and it only takes me a second to check it before retracting the slide. Having said that, I have never heard anyone say the regret having them.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #8

I agree that the 23ss is a great setup, plan on full timing with it soon. the truck is going to struggle. the TV I had was a 2005 ram 4.7 was rated 7500lbs but the low end was terrible and it sucked fuel (5-7mpg) especially in the hilly N.C. mountains. Would get something with better torque (IMO).
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra
diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.
2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #9

We pull our Roo 23SS with a chevy silverado 1500WT with a towing package without too much trouble. We pack light, shop in the local area of the campground for food, and don't carry a generator. My one thing I won't camp without is my roadtrip grill. Oxygenics shower comes in a close second. As for options, scare light up against the camper, gutter spouts, and automatic awning. If you plan to stop for more than a few days at a time and don't have full hookups, a portable tote is a must. Oh yeah.... a pair of x chocks and several sets of legos and a mat for the front. But these are just our preferences. I know you will enjoy your new HB and as you use it you will gradually acquire the extras that work best for you.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I know you will enjoy your new HB
Again, what does HB mean?

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss