Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

EasyCare Warranty

Bought one with my 2015 Roo23IKSS but thinking of getting rid of it before my base warranty expires on 4-10-2016, just feel I would be ok with out it.

Has anyone bought an extended warranty? Are they really worth it? Do major things really go wrong after 1-2 years? I bought a 2012 Shasta but had it a year and nothing major went wrong before we traded it for my Roo23IKSS, now have a factory warranty until 4-2016 then have the EasyCare.

I have really no issues with the Roo but a few simple things which I can fix myself however bringing to the dealer 300 miles away to have them fix it all and do a once over B4 factory warranty goes out, just not sure the ext warranty is worth it for me and if I cancel now I can get 100% of that cost back.

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
Site Team

i'm not a fan of 3rd party extended warranties, for new purchases.
maybe on a used unit that has no factory warranty.

nearly all the RV 3rd party extended warranties i've read posts about, state that they don't really cover any of the really expensive stuff, like delamination.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i'm not a fan of 3rd party extended warranties, for new purchases.

maybe on a used unit that has no factory warranty.

nearly all the RV 3rd party extended warranties i've read posts about, state that they don't really cover any of the really expensive stuff, like delamination.

It is interesting that RV mfg's only give you a 12 year warranty and most issues occur after that, but the fact that extended warranties barely cover stuff leads me to believe buying new and getting a warranty is not worth it.

Going forward I will only buy used to get what I want at the best deal and have someone else absorb most of the % loss in the first 1-3 years. I think this is the last New RV I ever buy, love camping just not spending all that money to deal with all the inconvenience of getting it all fixed in a few months when everyone is doing the same thing

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

I decided to purchase the additional 1 year factory warranty for around $100 I think and had a couple of issues pop up after my one year from the factory expired. The dealer said the two items weren't covered because one of them was the create-a-breeze fan. The fan is an aftermarket part and not covered under the factory warranty. The warranty is really for major issues with the trailer, so I wouldn't get it.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

Not purchasing the second-year warranty from Forest River is just plain craziness. I paid $150.00 for an additional year of the standard manufacturer warranty for my 2016 Windjammer. I hope I don't have to use it, but to turn down such a great offer is ludicrous.

Bruce
Old 12-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

I have never bought extended warranty, service contracts, rust proofing yada yada.

Until I owned an rv.
This is a poorly made house on four wheels, bouncing up and down the road.

I was looking for the paperwork.
Don't remember how long or how much!! ??

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Bought one with my 2015 Roo23IKSS but thinking of getting rid of it before my base warranty expires on 4-10-2016, just feel I would be ok with out it.

Has anyone bought an extended warranty? Are they really worth it? Do major things really go wrong after 1-2 years? I bought a 2012 Shasta but had it a year and nothing major went wrong before we traded it for my Roo23IKSS, now have a factory warranty until 4-2016 then have the EasyCare.

I have really no issues with the Roo but a few simple things which I can fix myself however bringing to the dealer 300 miles away to have them fix it all and do a once over B4 factory warranty goes out, just not sure the ext warranty is worth it for me and if I cancel now I can get 100% of that cost back.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

I know you paid a LOT for your EasyCare Warr! I would have gone with the (150.00$ F/R Warr) with the Track Record of the Roos (Bed Door and Seal) Issues! Your call! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #8

Warranty.......never cared about them.
Just bought a 23ws in Michigan and I live in Maine. We use that camper about 30 days in a year and it's covered during the winter.
I would be very surprised if something would happen to it in the next 2 years.

Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I know you paid a LOT for your EasyCare Warr! I would have gone with the (150.00$ F/R Warr) with the Track Record of the Roos (Bed Door and Seal) Issues! Your call! Youroo!!

Depends on what you consider a Lot for 7 years it was 1600? I am just not sure what they will give me a hard time with if I ever need it and I would rather get that $ back in full as I have until 4-10-2015 to cancel it for a full refund.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Depends on what you consider a Lot for 7 years it was 1600? I am just not sure what they will give me a hard time with if I ever need it and I would rather get that $ back in full as I have until 4-10-2015 to cancel it for a full refund.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

I think 1600.00$ is a Lot! Do you know 100% that this 7 year will Replace a Tip Out Bed Door? Youroo!!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
I think 1600.00$ is a Lot! Do you know 100% that this 7 year will Replace a Tip Out Bed Door? Youroo!!
I know 100% it won't replace a tip out bed door or anything else due to "water intrusion" from a failed seal, failed caulking, so on and so forth. It also want cover the sidewall, the roof substrate, the floor structure or anything else water damaged. I don't even need to read the warranty documents to tell you that. Every warranty out there is the same no matter who provides it.

Find me one that covers damage due to water intrusion, and clearly states that in no uncertain terms in its contract, and I'll buy it this afternoon.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I know 100% it won't replace a tip out bed door or anything else due to "water intrusion" from a failed seal, failed caulking, so on and so forth. It also want cover the sidewall, the roof substrate, the floor structure or anything else water damaged. I don't even need to read the warranty documents to tell you that. Every warranty out there is the same no matter who provides it.

Find me one that covers damage due to water intrusion, and clearly states that in no uncertain terms in its contract, and I'll buy it this afternoon.
There have been LOTs of (Complete Sidwalls and Roo Doors) replaced during the 1-2 year Warr,period as well as (Way After) the Warr.period by Forest River at N/C to the owners! I know this for Fact,Not Net Talk! Youroo!!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #13

Quote:
There have been LOTs of (Complete Sidwalls and Roo Doors) replaced during the 1-2 year Warr,period as well as (Way After) the Warr.period by Forest River at N/C to the owners! I know this for Fact,Not Net Talk! Youroo!!
What does the Forest River original, or optional F.R. second year warranty, have to do with an "aftermarket" warranty? I agree I'd never NOT get the F.R. second year optional, but the OP was talking about an aftermarket warranty.

Its great that you know of LOTS of sidewalls and Roo doors replaced by F.R. during and after the warranty period but there are also LOTS that were not. Since we're on that subject this forum is not the only one where people discuss Forest River products, especially hybrids. There does not seem to be any rhyme nor reason to how the Rockwood division specifically handles / handled the bunk door issues. I know for a fact some have had the door parts only supplied after warranty had run its course, some have had the parts and labor supplied after the warranty, and some have been told to go pound salt. That is not net talk either.

As far as the F.R, warranty is concerned neglect your roof caulking and let is split open after 6 months and cause delamination. Good luck getting them to repair that. This is right out of the F.R. warranty "Failure to maintain seals through regular maintenance can lead to damage and may be considered abusive treatment under terms of your recreational vehicle warranty." That disclaimer has been known to be enforced but again maybe it depends who you know or what way the wind is blowing.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #14

Thanks Guys but I am cancelling the extended warranty, I am very careful with my Roo and as long as I take good care of it and check it like I do before and after every trip I hope to have years of trouble free use, but most of the extended warranties I know of cost $1200-$1600 so I am dumping mine and getting my $ credited to my payoff, then I will own my 2015 Roo by June with no payments Thanks all for your information and opinions, they are well received.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks Guys but I am cancelling the extended warranty, I am very careful with my Roo and as long as I take good care of it and check it like I do before and after every trip I hope to have years of trouble free use, but most of the extended warranties I know of cost $1200-$1600 so I am dumping mine and getting my $ credited to my payoff, then I will own my 2015 Roo by June with no payments Thanks all for your information and opinions, they are well received.
It sure is nice to see somebody come on here to ask a question and actually take the advice of the posters here.

Bruce
Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Good deal wicked1,but you were never clear about the (2nd year F/R Warr) did you buy it? Youroo!!
Old 12-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #17

EasyCare Warranty

Quote:
Good deal wicked1,but you were never clear about the (2nd year F/R Warr) did you buy it? Youroo!!

Nope, my bad live and learn, but I will ask them if I can still get it since I am using the dealer I bought it from for service and mine is still under warranty until April 2016? If not I will cancel EasyCare and just deal with what I might need to fix.

What are the issues after the 1 year warranty on the Roo's don't the tent ends have a 5 year warranty and I know roof membrane has a 12 but not sure what else I need to keep an eye on mine is a 2015 23IKSS old style not new layout

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
What are the issues after the 1 year warranty on the Roo's don't the tent ends have a 5 year warranty and I know roof membrane has a 12 but not sure what else I need to keep an eye on mine is a 2015 23IKSS old style not new layout

Read the warranty section in the owners manual. Basically anything that came with its own documentation/warranty in that big package of BS they gave you has its own warranty. Appliances, converter, tents, roof, axles, tires, frame, windows, entry door, shower base, all kinds of crap and none of it is covered under the F.R. 1st year or optional 2nd year warranty.

The F.R. warranty is for things like the bunk doors, the bunk door hinges, the body of the camper if say a corner was to pull apart, bad glue in the lamination process, maybe light fixtures/led bulbs...stuff like that.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Nope, my bad live and learn, but I will ask them if I can still get it since I am using the dealer I bought it from for service and mine is still under warranty until April 2016? If not I will cancel EasyCare and just deal with what I might need to fix.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Please contact F/R Warr Dept Directly,Dont ask or go threw your Dealer! On your other Q's just do a Search at the Top uder ROO'S Youroo!!

Tags
warranty