Old 04-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
I'm a little curious as to why you didn't have it delivered ! We bought our 23ws in Michigan, and we live in Maine. Mileage: 1900 miles return.

Haylett RV charged me $1800.00 to deliver it. I thought of the mileage on my truck, nights in motel , restaurants, gas, etc etc........It was well worth the $1800.00 they were charging !

Just curious !
Dre
It will probably save $800 to pick it up, I have the time available, and it sounds like an adventure! More importantly, I wanted the PDI to occur at the dealership in case there are issues (they have another one I could switch to), and I know I'm going to have a TON of questions!

Old 04-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
What are your start and finish locations? Can you share that with us?
Will you already have the generator/inverter with you when you pick up the camper?

I don't think you need to worry about a surge protector on your "bring home" trip
Sounds like a lot of fun, driving 1,300 miles, camping your way back home!
Colorado to Ohio. I was going to have the generator and inverter, but now I'm seriously cosidering solar and if I could get by without a generator. It seems possible. I guess I just need to get it home on the alternator charge (it's not like I won't be driving all day!), and then figure it out from there.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinco70 View Post
It will probably save $800 to pick it up, I have the time available, and it sounds like an adventure! More importantly, I wanted the PDI to occur at the dealership in case there are issues (they have another one I could switch to), and I know I'm going to have a TON of questions!
Even with the reasons above, I have repeatedly wondered if I'm crazy! I might have to give it a little more thought...
Old 04-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Colorado to Ohio. I was going to have the generator and inverter, but now I'm seriously cosidering solar and if I could get by without a generator. It seems possible. I guess I just need to get it home on the alternator charge (it's not like I won't be driving all day!), and then figure it out from there.
Well I am with you on the adventure, I would take a generator if I could, if you have a Pick up bed to put it in it would be perfect, if you run into any kind of trouble and have to stay in one place a couple of days, it would guarantee you could charge batteries, run a heater, or pump water, and microwave etc. You need good strong power to work the slides etc and you may need to run the heater all night at times. Are you sure you couldn't squeeze in a couple of nights of full hook ups at a couple of campgrounds?
Good luck!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
rbq

As far as using 6 volt batteries the only difference is that you will need battery boxes for 6 volts as they are a taller battery & will not fit in a 12 volt box. They will fit side by side easily on the battery rails of the Roo. Mine do. These two batteries are wired in series, meaning you have the trailer ground attached to the negative post on one battery and the positive wire attached to the positive post of the other battery. There is a jumper cable that goes from the positive of the first battery to the negative on the other battery. 6 + 6=12 volts. The 6 volt batts have a longer life if properly maintained and give a little advantage with more power. I have always done much better using the 2 6 volt than when I used 2 12 volt batteries.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Who's installing the 400w inverter, since they don't come with one?
DEFINITELY get two batteries. I installed a 400w inverter and connected it to my two batteries.

Trojan 6v golf cart batteries are the tpo choice for RVs.
Costco and Sam's also have their own 6vs for a lower price.

You don't NEED to buy a battery charger. The trailer's converter does that. Modern converters are very good at charging and maintaining batteries.
Of course you have to hooked to shore power.
NEVER have removed batteries in the winter, as long as they stay charged up.

But having a battery charger is always a good thing to have at home. So it's a choice, not a requirement.
Thanks, bikendan! Yes, I'm going to get two Trojan T105's this week if I can find them locally. As far as the inverter...we have an electrician that I might call. I might be able to talk my husband into it if I find some good installation instructions. He's extremely handy but usually avoids electrical work, except for the basics. Thus might not be that hard, but the RV systems are totally foreign to us.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
Well I am with you on the adventure, I would take a generator if I could, if you have a Pick up bed to put it in it would be perfect, if you run into any kind of trouble and have to stay in one place a couple of days, it would guarantee you could charge batteries, run a heater, or pump water, and microwave etc. You need good strong power to work the slides etc and you may need to run the heater all night at times. Are you sure you couldn't squeeze in a couple of nights of full hook ups at a couple of campgrounds?
Good luck!
You bring up a good point about hookups. I haven't planned my trip home yet, but that would be safest and it would give me time to figure out the generator/solar issue. I would prefer to do one or the other since they are $1000 or more each. Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Even with the reasons above, I have repeatedly wondered if I'm crazy! I might have to give it a little more thought...
With out a doubt Doing the PDI at the dealers is the best way to go IMO and for just the reason you posted.

Much easier to get a dealer to fix stuff before they get the money and before you pull it off the lot.

Take a camera and record the PDI so you can refer to it later if need be.

Run every appliance to ensure they work, take a bag of pop corn for the microwave.

Furnace and A/C no matter the temp.

Water faucets, all of them in and outside.

Make them show you how and sofa bed sets up.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
As far as using 6 volt batteries the only difference is that you will need battery boxes for 6 volts as they are a taller battery & will not fit in a 12 volt box. They will fit side by side easily on the battery rails of the Roo. Mine do. These two batteries are wired in series, meaning you have the trailer ground attached to the negative post on one battery and the positive wire attached to the positive post of the other battery. There is a jumper cable that goes from the positive of the first battery to the negative on the other battery. 6 + 6=12 volts. The 6 volt batts have a longer life if properly maintained and give a little advantage with more power. I have always done much better using the 2 6 volt than when I used 2 12 volt batteries.
Thanks, rbq, I was wondering if they would fit. I will call the dealership and see if they have a battery box or it'll I need to bring one since they are going to install the batteries I will have with me. Good tip!
Old 04-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm sure it will be an adventure......which brings me to my next question. If the PDI doesn't go your way, and if they don't have another 23ws......What will be your next step: Wait for the repairs to be done, or come back home with no camper !
I had mine delivered, and I did the PDI at home. Haylett RV people who brought it to Maine were in no hurry to leave and wanted to make sure I was totally satisfied before going back to Michigan.

Tags
electric, electrical

« No Power | Regrets »