Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
I'm sure it will be an adventure......which brings me to my next question. If the PDI doesn't go your way, and if they don't have another 23ws......What will be your next step: Wait for the repairs to be done, or come back home with no camper !
I had mine delivered, and I did the PDI at home. Haylett RV people who brought it to Maine were in no hurry to leave and wanted to make sure I was totally satisfied before going back to Michigan.
You bring up good points, all of which I have considered. I could stay an extra day or two. I hear I might have better luck with that than trying to get it handled within the "local service network" this time of year. If there are bigger problems, and the other unit is gone, I'm not really sure. I'm hoping they check it out carefully, as they promised, before I leave my house! So we're really back to the main reason being adventure!
joinco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #22

Then I say go for it! I just finished my first trip with my new 23ws and it was awesome!
I would have LOVED to travel that far the first trip!
Besides, what could go wrong? You have all of us "EXPERTS" to fall back on! LOL
Old 04-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #23
Some guy in back...

ok, my positive, but minority opinion...

The battery boxes just "sort of" protect the batteries, especially the connections at the top. Golf cart batteries do fit in the common Group 24 boxes, the batteries are just a little tall for them and the tops, in most case do not snap down on their mounts. But, the straps you use anyway will go over top and will hold the tops on and protect the connections. The appropriate fitting golf cart battery boxes can be purchased and make things look a little neater, but it's not a requirement. The dealer may be able to source them for you locally if that is what you really want. More importantly than the boxes is the jumper between the batteries and the way the trailer's connections are made. This can have a real effect on the installation and use and is the place most dealers could do a better job. This forum is full of advice on the topic.

I *think* you are looking for the inverter to run the TV and maybe a laptop/tablet? Everything else likely runs off 12V so if the TV only draws 40-50 watts, a smaller inverter could be used that plugs into the 12v power socket near to the TV can be used, with the TV plugged into the smaller inverter, making a no-install project.

If you are traveling by yourself, having to use a generator every day can get pretty old. Maybe better to confirm your tow vehicle can actually charge the trailers batteries at an effective rate while driving. Some can, some can't. A good RV dealer or a hitch shop or an auto electric shop can test and tell you.

Unless you really want that big of a generator, a smaller, lighter unit for limited AC production (battery charging & running TV, for example) may be the ticket. You will not run the microwave, the electric portion of the water heater, the air conditioner or a hair dryer, but it's LOTS easier to move, fuel and live with.

Good Luck!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
Unless you really want that big of a generator, a smaller, lighter unit for limited AC production (battery charging & running TV, for example) may be the ticket. You will not run the microwave, the electric portion of the water heater, the air conditioner or a hair dryer, but it's LOTS easier to move, fuel and live with.
Not so, unless it's a 1000w unit.
A 50lb Honda 2000i will run everything easily, except the a/c.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #25
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not so, unless it's a 1000w unit.
A 50lb Honda 2000i will run everything easily, except the a/c.
Agreed...but the poster was talking about a Champion 3100 which seems to weigh almost double (96 lbs) the Honda sewing machine...
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #26

Coincidentally we're picking up a 23ws on the 27th in OH too - at RV Wholesalers. Which dealership will you be at???
54554wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
Then I say go for it! I just finished my first trip with my new 23ws and it was awesome!
I would have LOVED to travel that far the first trip!
Besides, what could go wrong? You have all of us "EXPERTS" to fall back on! LOL
Don't think that this forum didn't play a role in my decision! Everyone is awesome, and I won't feel like I'm my own.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
ok, my positive, but minority opinion...

The battery boxes just "sort of" protect the batteries, especially the connections at the top. Golf cart batteries do fit in the common Group 24 boxes, the batteries are just a little tall for them and the tops, in most case do not snap down on their mounts. But, the straps you use anyway will go over top and will hold the tops on and protect the connections. The appropriate fitting golf cart battery boxes can be purchased and make things look a little neater, but it's not a requirement. The dealer may be able to source them for you locally if that is what you really want. More importantly than the boxes is the jumper between the batteries and the way the trailer's connections are made. This can have a real effect on the installation and use and is the place most dealers could do a better job. This forum is full of advice on the topic.

I *think* you are looking for the inverter to run the TV and maybe a laptop/tablet? Everything else likely runs off 12V so if the TV only draws 40-50 watts, a smaller inverter could be used that plugs into the 12v power socket near to the TV can be used, with the TV plugged into the smaller inverter, making a no-install project.

If you are traveling by yourself, having to use a generator every day can get pretty old. Maybe better to confirm your tow vehicle can actually charge the trailers batteries at an effective rate while driving. Some can, some can't. A good RV dealer or a hitch shop or an auto electric shop can test and tell you.

Good Luck!
Good info on the battery box and inverter. The reason I was going for the 3100 is that it's on sale at Costco for $850, and I figured if I'm getting one I should go big so that I could run the AC at lower altitudes. But I'm guessing with tent ends, and those trips being few and far between, buying a big one I can't handle really isn't practical. I would love to run a blender though but that's a problem for another day. I'm looking at solar options now thanks due to the reasons you mentioned about generators being a hassle. I think I'll come home using hookups and figure it all out later. Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinco70 View Post
I think I'll come home using hookups and figure it all out later. Thanks for the tips!
That is probably the best idea. Deciding on a generator vs solar would be tough not having any experience with the trailer. A lot of thought should go into how to set up a solar charging system (if that is the way you go) as it is not as easy as buying a panel and attaching it to your battery (expect for trickle charging systems). Likewise, determining the size of your generator takes some thought as well. Electricity usage, as well as your typical camping conditions will have a major impact on what you need. We almost exclusively dry camp and are lucky enough to have both solar and generator power. However, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times we "needed" the generator for A/C or battery charging in the past 15 years of hybrid camping.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #30
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Good info on the battery box and inverter. The reason I was going for the 3100 is that it's on sale at Costco for $850, and I figured if I'm getting one I should go big so that I could run the AC at lower altitudes. But I'm guessing with tent ends, and those trips being few and far between, buying a big one I can't handle really isn't practical. I would love to run a blender though but that's a problem for another day. I'm looking at solar options now thanks due to the reasons you mentioned about generators being a hassle. I think I'll come home using hookups and figure it all out later. Thanks for the tips!
You are very welcome. Have a great trip, keep it simple and you will enjoy it more. (BTW, there are hand-cranked blenders...I know REI sells one. It's not for everyone, but it's a blender and it blends and you don't have to plug it in!)

Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
Old 04-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
That is probably the best idea. Deciding on a generator vs solar would be tough not having any experience with the trailer. A lot of thought should go into how to set up a solar charging system (if that is the way you go) as it is not as easy as buying a panel and attaching it to your battery (expect for trickle charging systems). Likewise, determining the size of your generator takes some thought as well. Electricity usage, as well as your typical camping conditions will have a major impact on what you need. We almost exclusively dry camp and are lucky enough to have both solar and generator power. However, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times we "needed" the generator for A/C or battery charging in the past 15 years of hybrid camping.
Thanks for reinforcing that it can be done without a generator. Yes, it might be a good idea to have both, but I think I'd like to go the solar route first. I've done a lot of research on the forum, and I think I've got a good start on the solar controller and battery monitor, and I know where to go if I have questions...which I'm sure I will!
Old 04-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #32
Site Team

Solar is fine if you don't camp in wooded campgrounds or plan on using the a/c or microwave.

We almost always dry camp and we prefer the simplicity of an inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks for reinforcing that it can be done without a generator. Yes, it might be a good idea to have both, but I think I'd like to go the solar route first. I've done a lot of research on the forum, and I think I've got a good start on the solar controller and battery monitor, and I know where to go if I have questions...which I'm sure I will!
You will not be able to run the AC on solar unless you have a big solar array and a good/heavy battery bank but I don't think you have space in the roof for that or space for the battery bank.

In case you don't want to use the AC, 400w or above in solar panels plus a good inverter/charger - Like Morningstar - (which you will need to install rerouting the trailer charger) will take care of your needs.

The easy / fastest / simply way is to use the generator....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #34

Lots to think about....

Tags
electric, electrical

« No Power | Regrets »