Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #21

Ok I measured the breakaway switch and it's 1ft 9 inches from center of ball it's mounted on the inner frame rail of my 233s. I can pull the cable another foot and a half while holding the pin in the safety switch, how much force does it take to activate the breakaway switch
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
Ok I measured the breakaway switch and it's 1ft 9 inches from center of ball it's mounted on the inner frame rail of my 233s. I can pull the cable another foot and a half while holding the pin in the safety switch, how much force does it take to activate the breakaway switch
That is strictly dependent on the individual switch.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #23

Ok I pulled it fairly hard and it began to separate by hand it feels like magnets of some kind hold it in, if I give it a good steady tug it begins to seperate, then pops right back in , seems to be ok and won't come out while turning
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
Ok I pulled it fairly hard and it began to separate by hand it feels like magnets of some kind hold it in, if I give it a good steady tug it begins to seperate, then pops right back in , seems to be ok and won't come out while turning
Not magnets, spring clips hold the pin in on the one I took apart.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If the trailer breaks away and is being held by the chains, you want the trailer brakes engaged to keep the chains taut and not let the trailer ram into the tow vehicle causing more damage when you are trying to stop. You can leave them long and see what happens, but I have always shortened the cable to the make sure it was shorter than the chains.

I would have to agree with MtnGuy. If the brake cable needed to be shorter than the safety chains then the factory or at least the dealer should be doing something about it.

If the trailer became free from the vehicle the last thing I would want would be the full application of the trailer brakes of a 7000 pound (or greater) trailer pulling on the chains while the vehicle is pulling away. If the trailer is still attached to the vehicle then chances are the power cable is still connected and braking will be controlled by the tow vehicle once it applies the brakes.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #26

I found this so there really is no wrong or right way it I prefer to have it pop out as soon as it comes disconnected although I hope this never happens...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3051509817.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	36425  

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock