Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
I am not convinced that the emergency break-away cable needs to be shorter than the chains. If the chains are working, then the trailer will follow the tow vehicle to a (hopefully) controlled stop. I would think that only when the trailer is completely loose from the TV should the emergency braking system be engaged.

Y'all convince me otherwise.

The last 2 trailers with brakes that I have pulled have both had the emergency braking system cable longer than the safety chains. If y'all convince me that the cable needs to be shorter, then that is another project that I need to tackle.
Every TT I owned the break away was always longer, I use to wind it Thur the chain links with about maybe 6" hanging down and had enough to move on turns without pulling it. I do not know but that way worked for me. But still I never had to use it.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

I have shortened the brake cable on my 5er to where it just loops over the latch handle and if the trailer moves back 4" the pin is pulled just before it engages the safety bar I copied from Butch's and welded to my hitch.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
Yes force exactly
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #14

Ok so if I go with the zip fastener? Are they a pain to put back in, I've heard some horror stories of people not being able to free up the brakes after? What's the process for installing a new zip line
Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
Ok so if I go with the zip fastener? Are they a pain to put back in, I've heard some horror stories of people not being able to free up the brakes after? What's the process for installing a new zip line
Here's a video on how they install the zip cable to the pin. I didn't remove my pin from the emergency breakaway switch, but just cut the cable from the pin and installed the keyring part to it...while the pin was in the breakaway switch. It would have been much easier to install with the pin removed, especially since Forest River installed the breakaway switch on the inside of the A-frame rail.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #16

Ok thanks everyone I just ordered the zip breakaway 4ft
Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #17

Ok I just installed the 4ft zip breakaway cable seems pretty tight , where do you guys install it? I installed it on the trailer hitch loop where I would install the safety chains thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

The only problem I see is the 4' cable will not pull the pin when the chains are holding the tongue in case of a breakaway. IMO, the cable should pull the pin just before the chains become taut from holding the tongue.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #19

This cable is fairly tight now I don't think it will take much more to pop it out of the switch, I'm just afraid it will pull it out while turning
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
This cable is fairly tight now I don't think it will take much more to pop it out of the switch, I'm just afraid it will pull it out while turning
If the cable does not hook on anything and depending on where the brake switch is mounted, the cable should relax turning one way and tighten slightly turning the other.

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock