Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Emergency brake cable

So I let my wife hook up the camper yesterday before we left, she apparently left the cable dangling on the ground that would control the e brake if trailer were to come off ball. My question? Is there a way to get one of those clamps that are on it from the factory that holds the cable together to make the loop? It wore down right in the loop and has plenty more cable to make another loop .
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Team

I was in a local trailer supply store the other day and purchased one of these Fastway Zip cables. They had the universal kind in a display box by their cash register. I think I paid about 10 bucks for it. No more cable dragging or hanging up.

Fastway Trailer Products - Fastway Zip Breakaway Cable & Switch

I think I've seen these at Tractor Supply also

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I was in a local trailer supply store the other day and purchased one of these Fastway Zip cables. They had the universal kind in a display box by their cash register. I think I paid about 10 bucks for it. No more cable dragging or hanging up.

Fastway Trailer Products - Fastway Zip Breakaway Cable & Switch
I have used those on my last two campers. Easier to deal with than the factory cable, and it's bright red, so it's hard to forget.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

One thing to watch for is to ensure that the breakaway cable is shorter than the safety chains. If it's longer than the safety chains it may not engage the brakes if the camper came off the hitch ball.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Resident Masshole

Are you looking for these?

WEST MARINE Copper Oval Sleeves at West Marine
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
One thing to watch for is to ensure that the breakaway cable is shorter than the safety chains. If it's longer than the safety chains it may not engage the brakes if the camper came off the hitch ball.

Dave
Good point. I believe the coiled red ones we were discussing come in a couple of different lengths for that very reason.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Good point. I believe the coiled red ones we were discussing come in a couple of different lengths for that very reason.
You may still have to shorten the cable. You can buy the ferrules at TSC or Northern Tool pretty cheap.
Zareba® Gritted Crimping Sleeve 2-3 - Tractor Supply Online Store
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #8

They are also available at Home Depot
red dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I am not convinced that the emergency break-away cable needs to be shorter than the chains. If the chains are working, then the trailer will follow the tow vehicle to a (hopefully) controlled stop. I would think that only when the trailer is completely loose from the TV should the emergency braking system be engaged.

Y'all convince me otherwise.

The last 2 trailers with brakes that I have pulled have both had the emergency braking system cable longer than the safety chains. If y'all convince me that the cable needs to be shorter, then that is another project that I need to tackle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
I am not convinced that the emergency break-away cable needs to be shorter than the chains. If the chains are working, then the trailer will follow the tow vehicle to a (hopefully) controlled stop. I would think that only when the trailer is completely loose from the TV should the emergency braking system be engaged.

The last 2 trailers with brakes that I have pulled have both had the emergency braking system cable longer than the safety chains. If y'all convince me that the cable needs to be shorter, then that is another project that I need to tackle.
If the trailer breaks away and is being held by the chains, you want the trailer brakes engaged to keep the chains taut and not let the trailer ram into the tow vehicle causing more damage when you are trying to stop. You can leave them long and see what happens, but I have always shortened the cable to the make sure it was shorter than the chains.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post

Every TT I owned the break away was always longer, I use to wind it Thur the chain links with about maybe 6" hanging down and had enough to move on turns without pulling it. I do not know but that way worked for me. But still I never had to use it.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

I have shortened the brake cable on my 5er to where it just loops over the latch handle and if the trailer moves back 4" the pin is pulled just before it engages the safety bar I copied from Butch's and welded to my hitch.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
Yes force exactly
Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #14

Ok so if I go with the zip fastener? Are they a pain to put back in, I've heard some horror stories of people not being able to free up the brakes after? What's the process for installing a new zip line
Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
Ok so if I go with the zip fastener? Are they a pain to put back in, I've heard some horror stories of people not being able to free up the brakes after? What's the process for installing a new zip line
Here's a video on how they install the zip cable to the pin. I didn't remove my pin from the emergency breakaway switch, but just cut the cable from the pin and installed the keyring part to it...while the pin was in the breakaway switch. It would have been much easier to install with the pin removed, especially since Forest River installed the breakaway switch on the inside of the A-frame rail.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #16

Ok thanks everyone I just ordered the zip breakaway 4ft
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #17

Ok I just installed the 4ft zip breakaway cable seems pretty tight , where do you guys install it? I installed it on the trailer hitch loop where I would install the safety chains thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

The only problem I see is the 4' cable will not pull the pin when the chains are holding the tongue in case of a breakaway. IMO, the cable should pull the pin just before the chains become taut from holding the tongue.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #19

This cable is fairly tight now I don't think it will take much more to pop it out of the switch, I'm just afraid it will pull it out while turning
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
This cable is fairly tight now I don't think it will take much more to pop it out of the switch, I'm just afraid it will pull it out while turning
If the cable does not hook on anything and depending on where the brake switch is mounted, the cable should relax turning one way and tighten slightly turning the other.

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock