Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #1

Emergency camping at Wally-World

On the way to Boone Thursday night, I had a front hub and wheel bearing go out on my TV. Made it as far as Wilkesboro, about 20 miles from the campground and before the big climb to the high country. It was around 10:30 PM, so we "camped" at WM and made an emergency visit to a dealership the next morning. Back on the road by 10:00 am. Here is a sunrise shot of our "campground".Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473612665.099097.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	119928
Nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Nice to have that option, one heck of a "camp store" LOL
Old 09-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Glad you were near enough to it to utilize the parking.

Bummer about the bearings, bnut glad you were able to get it fixed so quickly.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
Nice to have that option, one heck of a "camp store" LOL

Yea, we visited the "camp store" while we were there!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Glad you were near enough to it to utilize the parking.

Bummer about the bearings, bnut glad you were able to get it fixed so quickly.

The service manager said they were booked up but he would "make it happen". Even had a big back parking lot to drop off the camper. With the exception of the $$$$, it was a good experience.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
MCTroy

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how did you know the front hub and bearing were going out? I had a wheel hub go bad on a car and it just made a little louder hum than the usual exhaust. And you were still able to drive the TV to a dealership? Just asking so I will know should we get into a situation like this. You never know!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how did you know the front hub and bearing were going out? I had a wheel hub go bad on a car and it just made a little louder hum than the usual exhaust. And you were still able to drive the TV to a dealership? Just asking so I will know should we get into a situation like this. You never know!

First indication was the ABS light came on. The noise from the right front wheel was intermediate and not too bad so we pushed on. Then it seemed to get worse with any turn to the right of the wheel, but no noise going straight. Then I hit a bump and I thought the wheel was grinding off! Another bump, stopped. Driving 45 mph, we made it to WM and luckily the dealership was only 1/2 block away.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nccamper View Post
First indication was the ABS light came on. The noise from the right front wheel was intermediate and not too bad so we pushed on. Then it seemed to get worse with any turn to the right of the wheel, but no noise going straight. Then I hit a bump and I thought the wheel was grinding off! Another bump, stopped. Driving 45 mph, we made it to WM and luckily the dealership was only 1/2 block away.
Had the exact same symptoms comming back from ohio on us 131,but we made it home.lf wheel had about 1.5" side play when I drove it another 40 miles to the IH dealership.Moral here is , when the abs light comes on but the pedal and stopping power are OK,check the front wheel bearings asap!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Had the exact same symptoms comming back from ohio on us 131,but we made it home.lf wheel had about 1.5" side play when I drove it another 40 miles to the IH dealership.Moral here is , when the abs light comes on but the pedal and stopping power are OK,check the front wheel bearings asap!

Lesson learned (and paid for)!!

Tags
camping