Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Excitement with a question...

Hey Everybody!

Well, the time has come to pack the bags and get ready to leave tomorrow morning very early. We head north to Alabama to take delivery of our 233s. You folks have done alot to settle my nerves about this purchase.... "thank you!". The whole family (especially the young ones) is excited as can be about the trip. Wish me luck with the walk through and all please. I have my PDI checklist and a dozen other things in my head to make sure of before we accept the trailer....again, thanks to this forum.

The question I have is a simple one for those with experience with trailer electronics. In our Jayco PUP, we had 30 amp service. Now, those 30 amps were to supposedly run everything that came with the camper all at the same time right? It did this job just fine. However, we added our own microwave (tiny thing from a kitchen counter we had stored in our garage) and if we were running the microwave, we couldnt run the AC. We also took along a small space heater. When the space heater was running, the microwave would shut down breakers.

Soooooo.... how am I supposed to have confidence that this 30 amp Roo will be able to run it's own microwave, AC, Television and lights all at the same time? Will I have to play the "switch this off before switching that on" game like I did in the PUP? I hope not!

Please enlighten me.

Thank you all!

James
DSN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

When I had my Class "C" it had 30 Amps and I had to turn off my A/C when we ran our microwave. But you can leave the fan on to keep moving the air.
Gotago2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

James, I wish you all the best

I remember well how exciting this can be (especially for the kids). This is something they will remember for awhile - or at least until you trump it by setting up in the driveway for their first night. What a hoot!!

Regarding your power question. The Roo's A/C system is 30amp and controlled with a wfco 55amp converter.

Plugged into a dedicated 30amp receptacle... IIRC the AC takes about 16amps on start-up and 13 to run. The microwave is 8-13amps. Of course, you will also have the converter, some lights and fridge but those should not be a problem. However, it could be a problem if you also are running the hot water heater on electric and the converter is trying to charge low batteries.

Plugged into a 110VAC (20 or 15 amp) house type outlet with an adapter may or may not trip a breaker as soon as you turn on the air conditioning.

15amp will not run the AC. 20amp should (depends if you have a very long extension), but not both AC and micro at the same time.

Hope this helps.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
J. Parham

There have been posts here showing the amount of current commonly drawn by various devices. You could look up your devices and determine what can be on at the same time without drawing more than 30 ams.
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys!

So, from what I understand, the Roo may or may not be manufactured to be able to run all systems at once? That is kind of disappointing. I know if my GM dealer told me that my Suburban could not play the stereo and run the AC at the same time, I would not have bought it.

Triguy - Believe me, I found out about the 20 amp service from my garage with our PUP. Oh it ran the AC, but I reached down just to see how hot the industrial/commercial grade extension cord was getting and it was HOT. I stopped that right away.

Oh well, I will do whatever I have to do to keep those breakers from shutting off.

Thanks again guys!

James
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I came back to the trailer from walking the dog, expecting the missus to be ready to go out to supper. She was sitting there with wet hair, thinking that she had blown up the hair dryer, since it no longer worked. She tried to dry her hair at the same time that we had a small electrical heater going on the same circuit. Whoopsie.

Power management is important with a camper. You have 30 amps going into it, and anything more is probably going to throw a breaker, either in the power center or at the post. It is no big deal to cut the AC compressor off if you are going to use a hair dryer, the microwave, or the water heater on electric. You might be able to run a couple of those together, but probably not all of them unless you have a 50 amp service.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
rbq

You shouldn't have many power problems. We have a 233S & knowing that all of the outlets in the Roo are on one circuit and powered through GFI will help you know what you can or can't do, such has running a space heater & trying to use the toaster at the same time--doesn't work, we know. Otherwise we haven't had any problems when into 30 amp power. We have found that we have no problem running the space heater & the heated mattresses at the same time. The AC is on a separate circuit from the outlets & we have been able to watch TV & run the AC together without problems. When you get your Roo look in the converter box & see how they are labeled. Have fun & enjoy.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #8

Thanks Everyone!

rbq - thank you for specific model info!

We 6 hours from now sitting in an Ihop waiting for food for kids.
Staying at a Hampton tonight near the dealer. Will walk through it in the morning. Excited!!

James