Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

extended warranty

(not sure if this is the right section for this question? )

My shamrock is ready for shipping! So RVDirect wants to know if I wanted any of the extra coverage. It would be $16 a month for the comprehensive coverage for 7 years (but the loan is 12 years) is it worth it?? I thought I read somewhere that extended warranties were not worth the money??

Old 06-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

Kind of a loaded question... What does it cover, and where can you get the work done? SOunds like it costs you $2300 its $16 a month for 12 years. RV service is expensive - but you could have a lot of repairs done for $2300, especially if there are exclusions or deductables. And is it transferable to a new owner? If you don't plan to keep it 7 years, that's a factor.

Boils down to whether or not you want to gamble. If you buy it, you know your spending $2,300. If not - you might spend less, or the warranty might pay off. If you do decide to buy it, I would turn them down first. Extended warranties are highly negotiable in most cases. See if they lower the price before you sign.

We didn't buy any extended warranties, but we did spend the $150 for the 2nd year factory warranty directly from FR. That seems like a good deal, especially since some issues popped up right after we took it out of storage this spring. It was 12 months and 2 weeks old at that point, so the 2nd year factory warranty kicked in.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Good question, about where the work can be done I will look in to that! It seems like it covers quite a bit, all major systems plus slide outs, leveling jacks, a long list. I don't love the idea of paying for the warranty 12 years if it runs out in 7! But I would like to think by 7 years we might have upgraded to something else. Thanks for the good ideas!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Resident Masshole

I bought it for our Roo. Total cost was $1532 via a 0% interest loan (separate from the RV loan) @ 18 mos term.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

How handy are you hockeyfam. Most RV systems are not that complicated, you are not going to want to send your unit to the dealer for something simple as it may be a week or several weeks for them to look at it. Are you close to the dealer you are buying from, a lot of dealers will not do warranty work on a trailer that was not purchased from them, they are not like car dealers. Extended warranties are like the lottery most time you don't get your money back, the company would loose money if every one claimed more than they paid, but if you have a real problem they are good to have.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
I bought it for our Roo. Total cost was $1532 via a 0% interest loan (separate from the RV loan) @ 18 mos term.
Had about the same offer on our new TT purchase, but the dealer let us go home to think about it. It was 8 years at $1750. I tried to get them to go to $1500, but they wouldn't so I just didn't buy it. There is so much margin in those things.

One of the benefits on the plan we were looking into was that you could transfer it to a new owner if you sold. Not sure if you have that or not, but that could be a selling point for someone if you decided to sell private party after a few years. This was with Cornerstone United.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Kmp44, did you have to contact FR directly for 2nd year warranty, or did dealer offer? We put an deposit down on a new tt and curious about the manufacturers 2nd year part.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

For the second year warranty you may get the sheet that you mail into forest river in your package of documentation, but some dealers don't put it in. If you don,t have it. You can do a search on this forum to find the it. Because I am in Canada and don't have a US cheque I phoned Forest River and gave them my credit card number and they sent me a signed forum in the mail. Took about two weeks to get it.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roganravenwood View Post
Kmp44, did you have to contact FR directly for 2nd year warranty, or did dealer offer? We put an deposit down on a new tt and curious about the manufacturers 2nd year part.
When we did the paperwork at the dealer to purchase the trailer, they mentioned that the form was in the stack of papers and we could fill it out and send it in if we wanted to. After reading on here for a while, this seems to be more than most dealers do. You should get a copy of the offer with your trailer, but if not its posted here on FRF in several threads. You send it to the factory with your check, and they send you back a signed copy. In our case, it was $150 to extend the original factory warranty for another 12 months - some of the higher end units are $250. The dealer gets no $$ from this, so they have no incentive to make you aware of it. Seems like a strange system, but that's how it works.

Don't want high-jack the OP's thread - so here is a link to one thread with a copy of the form - post #6. There are other, more recent threads that cover this as well and which brands they offer it for.

2nd Year Warranty Form Sticky

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
How handy are you hockeyfam. Most RV systems are not that complicated, you are not going to want to send your unit to the dealer for something simple as it may be a week or several weeks for them to look at it. Are you close to the dealer you are buying from, a lot of dealers will not do warranty work on a trailer that was not purchased from them, they are not like car dealers. Extended warranties are like the lottery most time you don't get your money back, the company would loose money if every one claimed more than they paid, but if you have a real problem they are good to have.
Handy? Haha good joke! Lol! We are first timers with camping and my lovely husband is not very handy either! I'd be afraid he would break something!

We are 2 hours from the dealer, not sure if that is considered close in terms of rv work? We have 2 other dealers we looked at but did not buy from that are less than 10 miles away. From everything I've read here it seems one might have a better chance of seeing Christ than getting s dealer you didn't buy from to do warranty work! ;-)

I decided to buy the comprehensive 7 year plan for the $16 a month. I'd rather be safe given this is our first time and we have pretty much zero clue!! I'm sure by the 2nd camper we will have more confidence. Thanks for the ideas!

Tags
warranty