Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Extended Warranty Dealers Offer?

I purchased my ROO 233S through RVW and they told me that the bunk seals are not covered under the manufactures warranty (even during the first year) and that I should purchase the extended warrantee through them. I opted for the 5 year extended warranty costing $1275. I have attached the documents that were sent to me for review and am asking for advice from anyone who has knowledge on this subject. My ROO doesn’t get delivered until March 12 so I have time to change my mind on the warranty. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CPP_Benifits[1].doc (42.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf XtraRide-Brochure1 (2).pdf (947.0 KB, 64 views)
drs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First: Ask yourself if you believe you win with insurance policies? Also, ask if you are generally a person who is comfortable with self-insuring or not?

Remember a few things about warranties and service contracts:

You already have at least 12 months of Forest River warranty on the unit (usually with an option to buy another 12 months of warranty from Forest River for $150). Plus - you will have two to three years on the appliances. I don't know about your dealer's statement about bunk seals.

This is not an extended warranty as they are not extending the manufacturer's warranty. Its a third-party service contract, FWIW.

Is there a deductible? If so, then add that potential to your cost.

Know that your odds are that you will spend more for this contract than you will receive in benefits. That is the nature of a service contract.

If you decide its worth it to you, then you might be able to negotiate the cost of the contract.

As far as "xtraRide" goes, I have heard good things from those who have owned the contract and needed it. But, I suggest that you call around at your service shops to make sure they will accept it.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Team

i'm surprised RVW said such a thing. i'd complain to the owner.
i know RVW pushes the aftermarket warranty but i can't believe a salesperson said such a thing.
i'd report that to Greg Rollins at FR. especially if they didn't offer the second year of factory warranty for $150.

that's a load of crap about the seals. many of us FR hybrid owners have had the seals covered under the factory warranty. even the bunk doors.
i had my '07 Roo's front seals and door replaced under warranty.

i would see if you could cancel that extended warranty threat of notifying FR.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

Triguy and Bikendan,

Thank you both for you input. I am going to call FR and ask about the seals and exactly what their bumper to bumper warranty actually covers. If it turns out the dealer was feeding me a bunch of bull then I'll deal with that issue as needed.

Dave
Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

Like stated above - you can get a 2nd yer warranty from FR as long as you pay the $150 within - I think 10 days of delivery / purchase

The FR warranty should cover bumper to bumper including the seals - Like stated above I would call the Factory and ask for clarification - Bet the sales guy at RVW was looking to make a few extra $$ from that warranty.

My father has bought an extended warranty but was on a Motor Home and it paid for itself the first time he used it even with the deductable he had.

The CCP Customer Protection Plan looks like it covers you if in an accident or break down - check your vehicle insurance - I bet you will find similar coverages

the Xtra ride is another coverae - you would have to look at what the $1275 cover's - per the plan you chose - if you are a handy person and it was me - I wouldnt be buying it but since you are getting a hybrid you should see if it covers rips, tears or just use to the vinyl sides and if they replace or fix them under the warranty and what the deductible is -
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #6

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
At least with that plan (From RVW)if you dont use it, you get your money back! Yes they're using it (the money for the plan$1275) for the time of the contract. But I bought it because 1.) Had the extra money for peace of mind,they cover everything on the new unit for 5-years basicly bumper to hitch.2.) If I dont use it during the 5-year period,I get a full refund. 3) If during the time of the contract, trade up or down that warranty transfers to the new unit with no extra charge.4.) The DW wanted it so we got it ! ( gotta keep the peace you know!).
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
2ND year Warranty??

I just picked up my 8285WS on the 27 th of Jan, My understanding is that Forest River is now covering 24 months (2 YR) of their products. Mine came with 24 months at no extra charge. It also came from RVwholesalers. They offered me the same "THIRD PARTY WARRANTY" on the seals, tires, and RV. I declined.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #8

I have read several issues about the bunk end seals and the field kits FR sent out to replace or fix them. So, I called Rockwood directly and spoke to somebody about this. Rockwood redesigned the seals and your 2011 Roo233s has them. I am not sure why the salesman said what he said other than to drive a service contract sale. Human behavior is often driven by two things, fear and greed. Maybe the salesman was trying to use a bit fear for his own greed...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #9

They are a PITA. I figure I can fix whatever comes up if I can get the parts and having experienced a "seasonal" professional repair I can do as good if not better. Having to take it to an "authorized" service center every time costs me money! I have never had good warranty experience!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #10

What is a PITA?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs244 View Post
What is a PITA?
Pain In The A**
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #12

It can also be tasty sandwhich too....just say'n.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #13

Ha, Ha, Ha
Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #14

drs244,

I also ordered a 233S last week from RVW. Looks like you got the "good" offer. I was quoted $1699 for 5 years & $1999 for 7 years (incl tire & wheel). I haven't answered them yet, but will decline.

Did they offer the 2nd year from Forest River to you? They haven't mentioned it to me. I'm still irritated with the ext wty price difference between you & I. There go the warm & fuzzy feelings.
Flashg_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #15

Flashg_123,

I told them I could not afford the $1999 for the 7 year CPP and they came back to me with the $1275 CPP for 5 years. No mention of the tire and wheel protection, I'll have to check on that. However, with that said, I think I will take the customer protection plan because the closest dealer that will do factory warranty repairs is 50 miles from me. With the CPP I can go to any place I choose to have work done. It doesn't have to be an RV dealer.

RVW didn't offer the FR second year warranty to me either. When I mentioned it I was told to go direct with FR...so I did. I have attached the forms you will need.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EXTENDED_WARRANTY_FORM.pdf (767.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf EXTENDED_WARRANTY_PRICING.pdf (441.5 KB, 73 views)