Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Exterior Water damage Question

I recently noticed some delamination on the very bottom of exterior front of 2012 Roo19
It extends horizontally across the bottom edge of the front mostly toward the right side and up about 10 inches at the highest point. I removed the brown trim on the bottom front to the right side of the hitch and found the fiberglass to be loose from the wood and the wood to be damp and soft.

The delaminated area is well below the bunk and there are no signs of damage in the bunk end or directly under the bunk which makes me think this could not be the source. I also removed the exterior light fixture which is above the damage and no signs of intrusion there either.

My one thought is that the water came from inside the front storage area where the water pump, filter, fill lines etc are located. There have been times in the past where I have either spilled some water when removing the filter or filling the water. I did not see any water issues, but just as a test i poured a small amount of water on the flooring and it immediately ran to the front edge of the storage area and down the seam. I then checked under the camper and saw the water dripping out the bottom of the front right where the water damage was.

Could this be the source of my damage? Has anyone experienced this? I'm planning on caulking the inside seams in the storage area to prevent any water from escaping down the edge and put a dry towel on the floor to check for any water leaking form the water pump,filter etc.. I am also sealing the external seams around the front bunk, light, corners etc.. with lap sealant

Any other suggestions on finding the source or repair would be appreciated!
Cincy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Pics are always helpful.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	roo 1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	123553

Name:	roo2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	123554

Hope this helps. The electrical tape on second pic is to help see where delamination is. Above the tape is solid all the way across the front of the Roo. Below tap is delaminaton and swelling down to bottom. No swelling or delamination to left side of front past last piece of tape on second pic.

First pick shows delamination mainly below light but also to left and right of light. No signs of leakage from light when I removed it.

You will also see I did a rush caulking job because of heavy rain coming! I was concerned water may have been coming in where trim is attached to bottom edge. I plan on doing a more complete job once I get feedback.

Any thoughts on where the source may be would be helpfull as I plan to work on it this weekend!

Thanks
Old 01-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #4

Update from OP

I wanted to update and hopefully get some advice.

I cut out vinyl flooring in front storage area and found the subfloor wet and rotted. I went underneath the damaged area and cut into the plastic liner under the Roo and plywood was wet and rotted ( I assume the liner has been holding the water in for quite a while and preventing it from drying). I decided to cut back as much of the plastic and pull it back until I got to dry plywood. Seems about a 1 foot square in the front corner and additional along the front edge of the Roo.

I removed as much of the plywood under the Roo as possible and left the plastic open to allow for drying. It has been drying for several weeks now and there does not seem to be any additional water after a few rains and melting snow.

I am hoping that the leak has been sealed, but I will continue to check for additional water through the winter.

My concern is how (or if) to repair the section ofrotted plywood under the camper. Is it supporting anything? I was thinking leaving it "as is" would allow me to check easily for ay additional water intrusion. I have heard of various "rot rid" and wood hardening products that I could use on existing wood and then re-attach the plastic liner.....comments or suggestions? If helpful I could take some pics soon.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #5

Did your "plastic liner" come from the factory? My 2012 Roo 19 had no such liner. Wide open underneath.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #6

Yes, from factory. It is a dark tarp-type material that covers the entire bottom between the frame and floor. It is tight against the plywood under most of the Roo, but was loose over the damaged areas. Very interesting yours does not have one, I assumed all roos would. I assume the purpose is to prevent water from road from intruding when driving in rain?

I am wondering if the barier has done more harm than good since it has trapped water from a leak that has not been able to dry until I cut into the barrier.

Would be interesting to know if others have the barrier and if perhaps I would be better keeping off the part I cut away? I would certainly be easier to see if there is additional leaking that way.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

I have attached picture of plastic barrier under Roo. I cut away to show plywood underneath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	127911  
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #8

You might find a member on this forum who has the expertise to advise you, but very unlikely.

The high degree of difficulty of this project to get it right is why water damage can be so expensive. Part of the problem is completely identifying all the damage, inside and outside, the other part of the problem is doing the repairs, and finally there will always be a suspicion that not all the damage was removed and to the extent the water damage had accessed the inside of the unit, you will always have the concern that mold is present, which would be an ongoing health concern.

It sounds like you are making better progress than many owners attempt. I have inspected quite a few used units and many of them had inside evidence of water damage. Despite my training as a service provider, it did not include repairing water damage. My training as an inspector included intensive training to identify water damage.

I suspect most owners would, if financially doable, exit ownership of the unit. Too many owners have made repairs where they felt they had identified water intrusion, but made little or no attempts to repair the internal damage or repair the visual indicators inside the unit - just the outside entry points.

A sad state of affairs with water damage beging the worst issue an owner can be faced with and maybe worse the response of many so-called responsible owners...yet understandable. The damage is often more expensive to fully repair than the unit is worth or most owners are willing to pay for. Easy to run up the cost in the tens of thousands of dollars.

If repairs were to be done to a unit I owned, my first thought would be to have the mfg do it.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

Philos, thanks for the reply. I'm just hoping someone has had a similar situation and may have some advice. We are not in the position to have a dealership replace the whole floor and I would be happy with a "fix" that prevented any additional damage since the damage is currently only under the front storage area.

I'm very courious if I need to repair the plastic underneath that I cut open, or if I can keep wood exposed to monitor any additional water intrusion. I am hoping the leaks are fixed from the additional sealing I did to roof and exterior seams in the area, but I would like to be able to monitor if there is any additional moister coming in.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Did your "plastic liner" come from the factory? My 2012 Roo 19 had no such liner. Wide open underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post
I have attached picture of plastic barrier under Roo. I cut away to show plywood underneath.
Looks like it is just a Tyvek type material covering the bottom of the floor plywood and not the coroplast type material covering some underbellies.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #11

I would put the plastic covering back when using the camper. As you mentioned previously it would keep rainwater from splashing up against the flooring while driving. Remove or loosen the plastic when the trailer is in storage to allow for air circulation.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

It should help to talk with the mfg as to how they designed the trailer to prevent water damage.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Looks like it is just a Tyvek type material covering the bottom of the floor plywood and not the coroplast type material covering some underbellies.
OK, my Roo did have the Tyvek stuff. The way he described it, I thought he was talking about a coroplast enclosure.

If it's wet above the Tyvek, it's getting in from somewhere. Have you checked your water heater? I've attached a pic of the lousy water heater valves my Roo had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lousy valves.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	127921  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
OK, my Roo did have the Tyvek stuff. The way he described it, I thought he was talking about a coroplast enclosure.

If it's wet above the Tyvek, it's getting in from somewhere. Have you checked your water heater? I've attached a pic of the lousy water heater valves my Roo had.
Haven't checked water heater, but good idea. Currently it is winterized, so I'll definately check in spring. Winter weather is making it hard to check for leaks so I may have to wait awhile and just leave the Tyvek cut open and wait till spring to loook for any signs of additional water coming through wood.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #15

Hello all,
I am a owner of a 2017 Roo 233S. Recently after a rain shower I found that water had gotten by the front bunk upper weather door seal when the bunk was shut. So I'm not very happy with the design of the bunk seals. Luckily the camper is under warranty. Why didn't Rockwood design a gutter above the bunk doors to control water runoff. I plan to complete what Rockwood should have done and fabricate gutters myself.
And I have a question, are the bunk tents sealed to the bunk door to prevent water from migrating into to the bunk when it rains. The tents use to have a skirt around the bunk allowing the rain water to shed away. I am wondering if Rockwood cheaped out and just attached the tents to the bunks figuring the my camping wound be in the desert.
Otherwise I like my new 233S, and now more then ever now that I added LED lighting to the pantry, an electrical outlet above the counter and a blue LED step light.
RooToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooToo View Post
Hello all,
I am a owner of a 2017 Roo 233S. Recently after a rain shower I found that water had gotten by the front bunk upper weather door seal when the bunk was shut. So I'm not very happy with the design of the bunk seals. Luckily the camper is under warranty. Why didn't Rockwood design a gutter above the bunk doors to control water runoff. I plan to complete what Rockwood should have done and fabricate gutters myself.
And I have a question, are the bunk tents sealed to the bunk door to prevent water from migrating into to the bunk when it rains. The tents use to have a skirt around the bunk allowing the rain water to shed away. I am wondering if Rockwood cheaped out and just attached the tents to the bunks figuring the my camping wound be in the desert.
Otherwise I like my new 233S, and now more then ever now that I added LED lighting to the pantry, an electrical outlet above the counter and a blue LED step light.
we had a bit of water come through the front tent end when the door was closed, dealer adjusted the door latches and it has not leaked since. and we have been through some big rains since then too.
rockwood and flagstaff (shamrock) both changed the tent attachment several years ago to the way you have it now. we have the attached tent ends and i was initially concerned about it but have had no water intrusion at all with the beds set up. the attached tenting does make it easy to fold up the beds, just close the windows and doors, turn on the fans and the vacuum will suck the tent material right in making it easy to close the door with no tucking......
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, water