Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RverAnn45 View Post
Our maiden Campground in CT is West Thompson Lake Campgound. It is operated by COE. But it doesn't open until May 20. For us it is a smidgen early because we haven't dewinterized yet. You just drive it on a variety of roads and then go home and camp in your driveway.

Ha! We might be driveway camping anyway cause we are so excited!
SEHilton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #22

We do it all the time. I had a nice site cut out in the woods next to the driveway and had it crush and runned and added a fire pit with the flip top grille on the ring. Have a 30 AMP plug and 2 hoses get me to the spigot When my kids have sleepovers they use it and the wife and I use it when we want to play cards or just get away for an hour. It wasn't cheap to do it but I figure it is around the cost of a seasonal site for one year and we will use it a ton and it is excellent winter storage.
Hemlock04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #23

Favorite place MA

You might want to look into Scusset Beach State Reservation in Massachusetts. Right by the Cape Cod Canal, I think they open in April but you probably dry camp on weekends. Check them out through Reserve America. The wife and I enjoy spending quiet time there.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #24

I think it all depends on what you are looking for, is it something peaceful and quiet or do you want the resort type of experience. Welcome to Connecticut Camping is a good place to start. You can narrow down your selection based on what type of amenities you are looking for. For my bunch, we need more of a resort kind of place with things for kids like playgrounds, activities, wifi, swimming, etc. I've been to a few here in CT and I'll give you my personal opinion of each. We've only been to 3 in MA, but I'll tell you about those as well. Obviously what didn't work for us, may work for others.

Aces High in East Lyme is open now and we were there this past weekend as a matter of fact. Small but very nice place. Not much in the way of things for kids, especially off season. But we wanted to do an early icebreaker that was close to home. It was very quiet and well maintained.

We had a reservation at Mystic KOA (for this past weekend) but when we got there they informed us that their water wasn't turned on yet in the majority of the park (even though their website doesn't say anything about that). Because of the size of our fifth wheel, they had nothing that would work for us that had the water on. So we literally had to turn around and leave. I will NOT go back there after that reservation fiasco. We did have to drive through in order to turn around. Sites are very small and no trees for separation between sites. That's how we ended up at Aces High. See paragraph above. I called them and they were so nice and immediately accommodated us.

Hidden Acres is Preston opens 5/1. I felt that the website for this place was a little misleading. It looked pretty good online, but once we got there, I was not impressed. Our site was a dust pit. Campground seems kind of old. The store was nice but that's about it. We don't plan on going back.

Odetah is in Bozrah, CT and they open on 5/1. I think they are little on the pricey side but there is tons of stuff to do at this place. It is difficult to get a reservation if you have very specific needs for a site. I need something to fit our 42 ft. fifth wheel with 50 amps and there are NOT many sites to fit us. Pool, lake with giant inflatables, 2 playgrounds, mini golf and a tram that takes you around. I want to go back but like it said it is tough for us because of our site needs. General reservations can't be made until 4/1 at 10:00am unless you stayed with them last year.

Ross Hill is in Lisbon and opens 4/22. They are running a special where you can get 2 weekends for $139. (4/22-4/24 & 4/29-5/1) and you can leave your camper there. We got to this place a few times per year because my kids made friends there. Fellow campers are very friendly, activities for kids, wifi. Playground is in sad shape but we keep going back there because it is close and not difficult to get a reservation. They do a great Halloween weekend.

Salem Farms is in Salem and opens 5/1. Sites were dust pits, but a good size. Playground looked like it was from the 70's. Update your tetanus shot before getting near that thing. I didn't like it at all. Very old looking but they do have a pool. Other campers here didn't seem friendly at all. Won't be going back to that place.

Brialee in Ashford is open now. The sites are on the small side and nothing between them. But they do have a great recreation area for the kids, pool, mini golf, playground, beach area and planned activities. I liked it. We'll be going back here.

Strawberry Park is in Preston. Not sure when they open. We went there last year. Big park with lots to do and planned activities. A couple of playgrounds, 3 pools, sports fields, etc. Dusty dirt site, but it was big and worked for us. We plan on going back here.

In MA, we've been to Jellystone Sturbridge and hated it. I'm not sure when they open but I really don't care because we won't be going back. It felt like the WalMart of campgrounds. Sketchy and disrespectful campers walking through our site repeatedly and it just was a huge disappointment. Site was horrible and small. I seriously felt like somebody was going to steal my dog while we were there. It felt unsafe. You had to pay extra to use one of the pools. Just yucky all the way around. The website made it look awesome. We were very disappointed.

Pine Acres is in Oakham, MA and opens 4/30. I absolutely LOVED this place. Pool, splash area, hot tub, mini golf, great activities, etc. On the pricey side after paying extra for the kiddos but totally worth it. We are definitely going back here.

Normandy Farms is in Foxboro, MA and they open 4/1. This place is amazing and pricey but totally worth it. 4 pools (one is indoors), 2 playgrounds, rec hall with arcade, spa/wellness area, planned activities, very neat and clean. I loved this place, too. We are going back here in May. Check out their themed weekends.

Hope this helps and happy camping!!!

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #25

Have you been to Seaport in Mystic? They have spent a bunch of $$ the last few years. Nice pool, mini golf, laser tag, bocce, basketball and horseshoes. My kids love it there and we have gone for a week the last 3 years. I would recommend Seaport if you have kids.
Hemlock04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #26

I know that you didn't ask about NY, but our absolute favorite (out of everywhere that we have been thus far) is Moose Hillock in the Lake George area of NY. We've been to their NH location as well but NY is the definite winner. The sites are HUGE and private. This place is off the charts amazing if you are looking for a resort type of place. Huge heated swimming pool with waterslides, arcade, playground, etc. The only down side for us is the 4.5 hour drive from our home. 2 adults, 3 kids, Siberian Husky and a cat all in the truck is a little crowded for that long.

OK, I'll stop now. Just have camping on the brain and with the warmer temps that we have been having we couldn't wait to start. That's why we went last weekend. LOL

Old 03-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #27

Consider Quincy, Plymouth, Cape Cod, Salem in MA!
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #28

Ames Brook in Ashland NH near Squam Lake. Very nice small campground some sites are on the stream and Brook. Close to the lakes and National Forest. I also like Normandy Farms and the Boston KOA.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #29

Normandy Farms is really nice! We go there a couple of times each year. Everything seems to be exactly as they advertise. Pricey? Maybe. They do offer a lot so it seems well worth it. You can book online, see what's available and pick exactly what you need for hookups.
bbeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #30

Pinewood lodge in plymouth ma. Has a lake and most sights are nestled in woods setting. Scusset beach is nice but reservations are usually 6 months ahead..

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #31

We loved Hopeville Ponds State park in CT.
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #32

If you've got children, check out Pine Acres in Oakham, Ma. Very family oriented, lots of things to do and an all around nice spot.
Will Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehiton79 View Post
We will be picking up our new 21DK at the end of the month. Wondering if anyone has a favorite spot in MA or CT ? We can't wait to try it out!
Mystic Seaport is awesome and also there's the submarine base to visit at Groton. However, I'm sorry I can't speak to any campgrounds or RV parks in that area.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #34

Thanks everyone! This is a great start - we appreciate everyone sharing!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #35

West Thompson lake in CT is small but is a great campground

2012 dodge durango hemi awd with tow package.
2015 Rockwood roo 23ss
Jopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock04 View Post
Have you been to Seaport in Mystic? They have spent a bunch of $$ the last few years. Nice pool, mini golf, laser tag, bocce, basketball and horseshoes. My kids love it there and we have gone for a week the last 3 years. I would recommend Seaport if you have kids.
Thanks for this suggestion! We have not been there yet. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if we can try them out while the kids are on their spring break.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:47 AM   #37

This is a great thread, I wish I could recommend some places but without too much detail here, we only were able to camp one weekend last year, quite a bummer to buy your first TT and not get to use it.

I've had many friends suggest places that were mentioned, X2 on jelly stone yogi bear in Sturbridge avoid it like the plague, pine acres in Oakham is a must try, sunsetview in monson is a possibility we will be checking that out this year as its very close to us so may be good for quick weekend getaway.
The only place we went is Westhampton KOA, we liked it but it is small and lots of seasonals we don't have much to compare it to they have activities every weekend for the kids I would put it in the ok category. We will be going back.
Can't wait for this season to start and hopefully actually get to visit some of these places.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #38

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458307230.527520.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	102233

For all us New Englanders who thought we might get out a little early this year......silly us! Some stations are reporting less, so we'll see!

2016 Roo 21DK

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehiton79 View Post
Attachment 102233

For all us New Englanders who thought we might get out a little early this year......silly us! Some stations are reporting less, so we'll see!

2016 Roo 21DK

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

It would figure! Hope it all misses us as we are picking up our new TT tomorrow morning!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #40

Weather in New England! We did a Spring package a Yogi's in Sturbridge about 15 years ago. We couldn't go to setup on the first Friday due to a nor'easter that came in. We setup on Saturday with snow on the ground. Sunday it was in the 80's and kids went swimming in the lake.