Old 05-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
My original filter was replaced on warranty for failure to stay connected. they replaced it with a much simpler after market fixture. I would say that you can remove the entire filter assembly and substitute a PEX union that you can get a Home Depot or Lowes.
Mine was replaced as well for that reason. We've got a good dealership and they had it replaced before I came to look at it so I never had to take it back. I don't even run a filter in it anymore as I only use the tank for brushing teeth and showers. I'm probably going to start using a hose filter when I fill the tank though.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Screw the disposable filter onto the hose bib where you fill your jugs. (State Park, home or wherever)
The water will be filtered as it enters the jugs with no need to filter it again when pouring into your tank.
Can't does not have threads, it is a 1/4 turn momentary valve (closes when let go). Hose bandit does not fit... I know that would be your next answer. Does not work for me. House filter does.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #23
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Can't does not have threads, it is a 1/4 turn momentary valve (closes when let go). Hose bandit does not fit... I know that would be your next answer. Does not work for me. House filter does.
Understood.
Not sure I'd want unfiltered water in my fresh tank, house filter or not.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Understood.
Not sure I'd want unfiltered water in my fresh tank, house filter or not.
Yes and no... I am sure many will disagree.. And this can go to its own thread if needed but... We live in 'Merica (or Canada for some). Water quality is pretty good unless your in Flint, apparently. I've camped for years in trailers, tents, hiked 250 miles of the AT Trail drank from streams and creeks AND CAMPGROUNDS!!! Filtered some, boiled some just drank some. I've never had an issue or been sick.

Does NOT mean it has NEVER happened but to me it is like the argument of being sued for being overweight (Be gentle I consider myself part of the weight PD.. Just have my own reasoning why).. Many will claim it has happened or they knew a guy who knew a guy but in the end no one had real experience ( I KNOW someone will chime in and say it happened to them). Sure there are boil water alerts and smelly water sometimes at CGs, but we get them around here at our home ALL THE TIME. I do not filter my home and I drink it.

Some of our mains are from the early 1900's and maybe earlier (in some sections of Philly there are still sections of the ORIGINAL wood and lead mains in place!). I was on a water main break where they pulled a large tree branch from INSIDE the main fresh water feed for the town.... Been in there for years so they figured. No one died.. If the main never broke no one would have even known. LOL They still have no idea how it got in there!

I filter just simply because I want the grit out and any chunks. RVs are not made so well... Need to give them all the help I can get. That said, I shut off my water when not home so I do not get a visit from Aquaman and his armada of ducks!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 05-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #25
Wanna Be Camper

If you did not dry the water off the threaded portion of the filter housing prior to running the RV antifreeze through it, the small bit of water in the threads can and will split that or any other type of plastic housing. I always take the filter cartridge out then dry off the housing and the cartridge housing prior to reassembling them. It goes down to -35 or colder here and I never have an issue.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #26
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Yes and no... I am sure many will disagree.. And this can go to its own thread if needed but... We live in 'Merica (or Canada for some). Water quality is pretty good unless your in Flint, apparently. I've camped for years in trailers, tents, hiked 250 miles of the AT Trail drank from streams and creeks AND CAMPGROUNDS!!! Filtered some, boiled some just drank some. I've never had an issue or been sick.

Does NOT mean it has NEVER happened but to me it is like the argument of being sued for being overweight (Be gentle I consider myself part of the weight PD.. Just have my own reasoning why).. Many will claim it has happened or they knew a guy who knew a guy but in the end no one had real experience ( I KNOW someone will chime in and say it happened to them). Sure there are boil water alerts and smelly water sometimes at CGs, but we get them around here at our home ALL THE TIME. I do not filter my home and I drink it.

Some of our mains are from the early 1900's and maybe earlier (in some sections of Philly there are still sections of the ORIGINAL wood and lead mains in place!). I was on a water main break where they pulled a large tree branch from INSIDE the main fresh water feed for the town.... Been in there for years so they figured. No one died.. If the main never broke no one would have even known. LOL They still have no idea how it got in there!

I filter just simply because I want the grit out and any chunks. RVs are not made so well... Need to give them all the help I can get. That said, I shut off my water when not home so I do not get a visit from Aquaman and his armada of ducks!

Yes, sediment (grit and chunks) is really the big issue addressed by a filter... but... the factory filter (house filter as you referred to) only filters the water AFTER the fresh tank and AFTER the pump. Basically, only filtering/protecting the pex plumbing and the faucet screens. Not much protection value in my book.

I want my tank protected as well as my pump which is why I suggested filtering everything that goes into the tank. (or jugs you dump into the tank)

Just my 2Ę...
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

I called it a house filter since I added it. Never had one from the factory. I do see your reasons for filtering everything, same as mine as I see, just slightly different approach

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8re View Post
This is my second year de-winterizing the Roo 233S. I was shocked when I opened the door to the filter housing only to find it had shattered and all the antifreeze drained out.

It was completely full when I shut it down. It was a much milder winter this year than last year. So I'm wondering what happened and how do I avoid this in the future.

I've just run to Camper's Inn and got a replacement housing and bracket. They advised that I swap out the bracket since the parts essentially "mould together" over time. Wasn't too bad of a fix. But I don't want to have to do it again.

Thoughts?

I fully drained my FW system lines and all by blowing them all out, removed the filter put the housing back on but didn't pump AF in there bc winter before my AF slightly froze.

I only put some AF in drains and black/great tanks, I hate the pink stuff prefer to keep all lines free.

As others have done I am thinking of removing mine since I use a Camco in line filter between Camp ground outlet and my Roo, not sure I need to double filter my water but it is pretty clear and odor free when brushing our teeth or showering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463405343.634174.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	108015

2016 F350 SCREW SB 6.7 PS Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 05-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #29

Used the disposable filter for years with the pups. Then used the cartridge version of the same filter in the 21SS. It did a decent job and had a good gpm flow - at least as good as the pump.

I'm simply not fan of the proprietary filter in the 23IKSS - partly because of the design, partly because of its reputation, but mainly on principle. I ought to be able to use a filter cartridge of my choice and buy it from wherever I choose. . . (Yup - I'm one of 'those' guys. . . )

The main reason we use any filter is to improve the taste of the water. We've been to some places where the water tasted and smelled awful. Most likely safe - but it made stuff we cooked taste 'off' - the toothpaste taste nasty - my fistful of pills hard to swallow. Also learned the hard way that putting stinky water in the tank (FW and HW) taints future contents until your freshen it with various products and multiple flushes.

We bring some bottled water but that's just a fall back in case the camper filter and the Brita we carry can't get the job done.

I'll run this factory filter as is this year - but one of my Spring '17 mods is to get rid of it and rig something else. Haven't decided exactly what yet.
1999 SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #30

That was my thought too Old Eeyore. I figured the cost of just one WaterPur cartridge out weighed the cost for several camco's or even a GE Whole House filter replacement...until the WaterPur canister broke on first use. Flooded the camper. So, the $75 feature we all paid for has been replaced by a 75 cent coupler and a $10 camco. Though I did add a Pur faucet 3 stage filter just because.