Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Member
 
myfirstroo21ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
Even though that is a fairly small trailer, a WDH with integrated sway control like the Reese Dual Cam, Equalizer (brand), or Blue Ox would probably be a better solution than a WDH with a friction sway control bar. 1 less thing to hook up, also.
Thanks. Any suggestions on where to buy?
__________________

__________________
myfirstroo21ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstroo21ss View Post
I have a Reese break controller and the dealer wants to sell me a husky distribution hitch with single sway control. They want 375 plus installation. Should I opt for something different?
yea, i'd get your money back on the Reese BC and get a Prodigy. and don't get the cheap-end Husky with the vastly inferior friction bar sway control.
i'm a big fan of the Equalizer. no drilling needed and no chains.
the best place to get the Equalizer or Prodigy, is RVW. you can get free shipping too. cost will be a little more than that Husky but is a way better WDH.
__________________

__________________
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
Member
 
myfirstroo21ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan

yea, i'd get your money back on the Reese BC and get a Prodigy. and don't get the cheap-end Husky with the vastly inferior friction bar sway control.
i'm a big fan of the Equalizer. no drilling needed and no chains.
the best place to get the Equalizer or Prodigy, is RVW. you can get free shipping too. cost will be a little more than that Husky but is a way better WDH.
I was given the Reese brake controller free and was only used once before my buddy traded the truck. If it makes more sense to buy a new one I will. Is this the hitch you are speaking of? http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...0-00-1000.html

Thanks

Ron
__________________
myfirstroo21ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
Member
 
myfirstroo21ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstroo21ss

I was given the Reese brake controller free and was only used once before my buddy traded the truck. If it makes more sense to buy a new one I will. Is this the hitch you are speaking of? http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...0-00-1000.html

Thanks

Ron
Here is the brake controller http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=898203
__________________
myfirstroo21ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,235
yes, that's the Equalizer i have. not sure which size you should get, since i don't know the tongue weight of the 21SS.

that Reese BC is time-based, not a Proportional based BC, which means it's old technology that is inferior.
only the cheaper BC's are time-based.

you can give it a try, since it was free. you can always find a P2 Prodigy for under $99.
__________________
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #16
Member
 
myfirstroo21ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
yes, that's the Equalizer i have. not sure which size you should get, since i don't know the tongue weight of the 21SS.

that Reese BC is time-based, not a Proportional based BC, which means it's old technology that is inferior.
only the cheaper BC's are time-based.

you can give it a try, since it was free. you can always find a P2 Prodigy for under $99.
Thanks I appreciate the advise. So there is no drilling required for the equalizer? Installation should be pretty simple. My dealer wanted to charge me two hours @ $115/hr to install theirs!
__________________
myfirstroo21ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
There is no drilling required.

I'm not sure why it would take your dealer two hours to install. I installed mine along with a tech from my dealer in about 45 minutes. It was handy using their tools, though.

You will need the equipment to be able to torque at some fairly high ft/lbs. The recommendation on the 3/4" shank bolts is 320lbs.

The most important thing is to understand how a WDH works and how it should look when installed and the trailer loaded. There are a number of videos, including one from Progressive, showing how to install that will help you to determine if you want to do it yourself.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,235
Triguy, the dealer wants 2hrs. to install the Husky WDH, not the Equalizer WDH.

i believe the Husky requires drilling.
__________________
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hills of Va.
Posts: 72
Welcome and enjoy your New Camper.
__________________
2005- WDF27RLSS
2001-Dodge-4/4- souped up Cummins
1953 Willys 4/4
1970 Restored Cushman Trackster
Olratlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Triguy, the dealer wants 2hrs. to install the Husky WDH, not the Equalizer WDH.

i believe the Husky requires drilling.
Ah, that's right. I forgot its a Husky the dealer wants to install.
__________________

__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.