Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

First newbie mistake in my Roo23IKSS

This is the maiden voyage for my new Roo. We upgraded from our Jayco 19XUD and as such thought I was not a Newbie anymore.

I knocked open on of the front storage doors as I was setting up. My son wanted to open the slide for me and as he did I heard a load crack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8534.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	134765

Not as worried about the fix with the screws and bracket. Unfortunately the scratches in the fake wood finish will stay there. Well I can see it as scars that tell of experience the RV has received. Hahaha.
Roo-minator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

Bravo for the positive attitude. Sure your son appreciates it as well

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

Good attitude. Just know that as a kid who did something similar he will remember every time he sees the scratch. Heres to many good years in it.

I had no one to blame for my first newbie mistake.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-minator View Post
This is the maiden voyage for my new Roo. We upgraded from our Jayco 19XUD and as such thought I was not a Newbie anymore.

I knocked open on of the front storage doors as I was setting up. My son wanted to open the slide for me and as he did I heard a load crack.

Attachment 134765

Not as worried about the fix with the screws and bracket. Unfortunately the scratches in the fake wood finish will stay there. Well I can see it as scars that tell of experience the RV has received. Hahaha.
Those scratches are an easy fix. You can get a wood wax crayon at the hardware store or a pen that will fill in the color too. I use them all the time.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #5

Well, I guess we both had a part in it. I did knock the door open and I may have opened the slide myself without checking.

I can say it will never happen again! Hahahaha.

The Roos scars was a group effort. Hahahaha.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
Those scratches are an easy fix. You can get a wood wax crayon at the hardware store or a pen that will fill in the color too. I use them all the time.

I did think about that, but kindof talked myself out of it because I noticed the part was not real wood. It is MDF with a thin vinyl covering.

Thanks though. I will look for the color and try it out.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

At least it is on the inside, and that kind of stuff is going to happen sooner or latter. Admire how you took it. Whats done is done. No one else will probably ever notice it after you do some repairs. Bought my trailer new last August and I've knocked a lot of the inside trim off without even making an effort. A little glue and small finish nails are a lot better then the factory staples. The future holds many more happy memories that will help this fade soon. Its all part of the trip. Enjoy.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Larson View Post
At least it is on the inside, and that kind of stuff is going to happen sooner or latter. Admire how you took it. Whats done is done. No one else will probably ever notice it after you do some repairs. Bought my trailer new last August and I've knocked a lot of the inside trim off without even making an effort. A little glue and small finish nails are a lot better then the factory staples. The future holds many more happy memories that will help this fade soon. Its all part of the trip. Enjoy.

Hello, I already have a few staples coming loose (knew it would happen as it did with the last RV). I planned on buying finish nails but did not think about the glue. What type of glue do you use?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #9

Yeah. Use the minwax filler sticks. I bought a few of them to fix some marks in our used class c. Depending on the scratch and location I found that one worked better over the others in places. Came out nice and DW is happy with the look which says it all. Maybe $10 total for the 3 types I picked up and about an hour to experiment and fix all of them.

Probably won't be the last, enjoy and remember why you got it. Things happen....
Old 04-15-2017, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Yeah. Use the minwax filler sticks. I bought a few of them to fix some marks in our used class c. Depending on the scratch and location I found that one worked better over the others in places. Came out nice and DW is happy with the look which says it all. Maybe $10 total for the 3 types I picked up and about an hour to experiment and fix all of them.

Probably won't be the last, enjoy and remember why you got it. Things happen....

Thank you sir.

We are started the fun yesterday.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-minator View Post
I did think about that, but kindof talked myself out of it because I noticed the part was not real wood. It is MDF with a thin vinyl covering.

Thanks though. I will look for the color and try it out.
Brown Kiwi wax shoe polish covers scratches well too. A staple in furniture stores. Lol
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, roo