Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

First Post- Warranty Question

Hello all,

Just joined the site, although I have been using it for tips and mod ideas for a while. We just sold our 2002 21 Rockwood Roo and purchased a 2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS. Not sure this is the right forum for a warranty question, but I figured I would start here. The best deal we found on our IKSS was a few states away, so we will need to find a local dealer for any work we need to have done. Does anyone have any experience with this? I imagine we will have to go through FR to get any warranty work "approved" before we take it to a local dealer?
There wasn't much info on the warranty, but I assume it is "bumper to bumper" for the first year? We found a number of smallish issues after our first trip (window spring broken, bathroom caulk coming up, electric cord indicator light not working, etc), as well as some more concerning issues (roof caulk issue, leak between canopy and camper, CO alarm (bad alarm or CO entering cabin?), slide cover collects water). Are all these covered under warranty? Who should I contact?
Although there are a few concerns with the new camper, we are absolutely thrilled with it, and cant wait to get a few more trips in it before the season is over. Thanks for your help.

Rich
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #2

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. You will be sorry to learn that RV dealers are NOT like vehicle dealers. They are not required to do warranty work. If a local dealer does agree to do yours you will probably be a low priority since you did not buy it there. This is the problem with not buying local.

3. The dealer will contact Forest River to arrange for the work and payment.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Team

We did a similar purchase, only our dealer was 8 states and 2000 miles away.

If you had come here first, before you bought it, we would have suggested that you camp nearby so you could find some these issues and have them fixed before you went home.

Second, your dealer didn't appear to do a good PDI before you picked it up. AND they apparently didn't tell you that you could purchase a 2nd year factory warranty for only $150.

So, you should ask them to contact FR for some local dealers that will do the work. FR found us a number of local dealers that were happy to do the warranty work. One dealer didn't even sell FR products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Too little, too late, but I would recommend that you always buy from a dealer like RVWholesalers that has a nationwide service network if not buying local. If this is just a random dealer that doesn't have a service network, you might be in trouble.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Although my second new camper purchase, I guess I was/am a little naive. I would have certainly purchased a second year warranty for $150, is there no way to purchase that now? Of course, if I had an additional year of warranty but no one to perform the work, I guess it wouldn't matter. Is there no one at FR that I could contact to explain the situation? I guess I should call around and see if there are any dealers in the area that would perform the work.

I didn't receive much in the way of warranty details, is it truly "bumper-to-bumper" coverage?

Thanks again
Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Not sure when you brought it but you can try contacting FR and inquiring about the second year warranty. Like many I didn't know about it until much later. The second time I inquired about it I was speaking with the right person and was able to purchase it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #7

Thanks Terier--- Did you speak directly with FR or your dealer? I can not find any contact info on the FR site. Could you share who you spoke with? I purchased less than 1 month ago.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Site Team

I spoke with FR directly. I brought my TT in Sept (2011) and pick up the 2nd year warranty in May (2012).

Not sure if the contact person has changed since it been a while. I will look for the phone number when I get home from work. Sorry but my lunch break is over.

PS
In the meantime there is a thread or sticky on the 2nd year warranty somewhere on the forums but I can't remember where.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #9

Here is FR contact #'s give the right Div. a call they may be able to help you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ContactInformation (1) (3) (1).pdf (46.2 KB, 51 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #10

There used to be a 10 day window to buy the second year, but I believe they have since waived that.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I see you are in Raleigh. Both bill plemmons in Raleigh and country roads rv in Lexington have reputable service departments and are forest river dealers. You will likely be at the back of a line but they can handle any warranty claims. I purchased my sabre at plemmons in Raleigh. I have had a lot of problems and they have bent over backwards to help me and try to make it right. They have done a good job but some things require a factory fix. Wells is the service manager there and is very helpful. Country roads is a bit far for you but they have done work for me on my old trailer which was purchased through camping world. I had a ripped awning and broken awning bracket. The awning was also pulled out of the track some (lesson learned about mountain winds). I called, they had me in that week. I arrived late in the afternoon planning on dropping and coming back. They took a quick look at it and said they could fix it then and there. They fixed it in 45 min (stayed late to finish it) and charged me somewhere around $70 to fix it. Check these places out, they should be able to help you.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #12

You can do a search in the forums for warranty form, print it out and send it in with your check, thats what I did. In about a month or so you will get the form returned stamped and signed by Forest River.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #13

We live in Texas and bought our unit in Florida. We spent over three weeks camping different places in Florida before camping our way back home. Didn't have any issues at all on that trip but since a few have come up that I have been able to take care of myself. Tried our local FR dealer and was told they would take care of it but didn't know when they could get to it and that I would have to leave it. With a time frame like that, I don't think so. FR did send me at no charge any parts I needed, I did have to send them pictures. FR sent out parts the next day, UPS took five days.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The second year warranty sheet resides in the library under brand specific information. Here us the link. 2nd year warranty form
Old 10-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #15

Have you checked for a Camping World in your area? They service my Roo, and I did not buy it there. I'm having warranty issues taken care of next week, and having it winterized.
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

If you check out the local camping worlds, stay away from the one in Colfax. They banged up The front quarter panel of my old tt and didn't tell me until I noticed it before we left their lot. Anytime my tt went in for service, it was there for 2-3 weeks before they even looked at it. Sadly, I bought from them which according to them put me in front of those that didn't buy from them. With that logic, your trailer will sit there forever without getting serviced.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:14 AM   #17
Site Team

Is there some reason you don't want to ask the dealer to help with this?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #18

Congrats on the new IKSS! As was already suggested, print the 2nd year warranty form off this site and mail it with your check. I don't think they accept credit cards over the phone anymore, and they don't seem to hold to the old 10 day rule, so I would just send it. I doubt they won't take your money, and its well worth it. We didn't have much in the way of warranty issues the first year, but in our second year, we had a couple jobs that would have been well over the $150 we spent.

Then just call around. You should be able to find somebody that will work on it. Some dealers will refuse, but you should be able find others that will work on it.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #19

Wow-- Thanks for all the replies, what a great forum. bikendan- the dealer we bought from is about 600 miles away, so that is not an option. My plan will be to contact some local FR dealers (thanks asquared) and see what they say. I will also try to purchase the extended warranty. If anything major goes wrong, even if I have to go back to the dealer I bought it from, it will be worth it.

Does the warranty cover everything? Some of the "problems" we found seem pretty minor, but we did buy new (and spent a lot of money) so I sort of expect everything to be perfect.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #20
Site Team

The factory warranty is tongue to bumper. Our dealer was 2000 miles away but they were very helpful in getting FR to help us find local dealers to do the work.

Tags
warranty