Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

First Post- Warranty Question

Hello all,

Just joined the site, although I have been using it for tips and mod ideas for a while. We just sold our 2002 21 Rockwood Roo and purchased a 2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS. Not sure this is the right forum for a warranty question, but I figured I would start here. The best deal we found on our IKSS was a few states away, so we will need to find a local dealer for any work we need to have done. Does anyone have any experience with this? I imagine we will have to go through FR to get any warranty work "approved" before we take it to a local dealer?
There wasn't much info on the warranty, but I assume it is "bumper to bumper" for the first year? We found a number of smallish issues after our first trip (window spring broken, bathroom caulk coming up, electric cord indicator light not working, etc), as well as some more concerning issues (roof caulk issue, leak between canopy and camper, CO alarm (bad alarm or CO entering cabin?), slide cover collects water). Are all these covered under warranty? Who should I contact?
Although there are a few concerns with the new camper, we are absolutely thrilled with it, and cant wait to get a few more trips in it before the season is over. Thanks for your help.

Rich

Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #2

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. You will be sorry to learn that RV dealers are NOT like vehicle dealers. They are not required to do warranty work. If a local dealer does agree to do yours you will probably be a low priority since you did not buy it there. This is the problem with not buying local.

3. The dealer will contact Forest River to arrange for the work and payment.

cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

We did a similar purchase, only our dealer was 8 states and 2000 miles away.

If you had come here first, before you bought it, we would have suggested that you camp nearby so you could find some these issues and have them fixed before you went home.

Second, your dealer didn't appear to do a good PDI before you picked it up. AND they apparently didn't tell you that you could purchase a 2nd year factory warranty for only $150.

So, you should ask them to contact FR for some local dealers that will do the work. FR found us a number of local dealers that were happy to do the warranty work. One dealer didn't even sell FR products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #4

Too little, too late, but I would recommend that you always buy from a dealer like RVWholesalers that has a nationwide service network if not buying local. If this is just a random dealer that doesn't have a service network, you might be in trouble.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Although my second new camper purchase, I guess I was/am a little naive. I would have certainly purchased a second year warranty for $150, is there no way to purchase that now? Of course, if I had an additional year of warranty but no one to perform the work, I guess it wouldn't matter. Is there no one at FR that I could contact to explain the situation? I guess I should call around and see if there are any dealers in the area that would perform the work.

I didn't receive much in the way of warranty details, is it truly "bumper-to-bumper" coverage?

Thanks again
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Not sure when you brought it but you can try contacting FR and inquiring about the second year warranty. Like many I didn't know about it until much later. The second time I inquired about it I was speaking with the right person and was able to purchase it.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #7

Thanks Terier--- Did you speak directly with FR or your dealer? I can not find any contact info on the FR site. Could you share who you spoke with? I purchased less than 1 month ago.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Team

I spoke with FR directly. I brought my TT in Sept (2011) and pick up the 2nd year warranty in May (2012).

Not sure if the contact person has changed since it been a while. I will look for the phone number when I get home from work. Sorry but my lunch break is over.

PS
In the meantime there is a thread or sticky on the 2nd year warranty somewhere on the forums but I can't remember where.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

Here is FR contact #'s give the right Div. a call they may be able to help you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ContactInformation (1) (3) (1).pdf (46.2 KB, 38 views)
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #10

There used to be a 10 day window to buy the second year, but I believe they have since waived that.

Tags
warranty