Old 08-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
rbq

Raise the butt end of the trailer by lowering the tongue jack lower. Run into that situation if the site slopes down as you back in and the front is higher than the back.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
Summer2Go

But the tongue jack was already off the ground, you couldn't lower it. We stabilized it, but if we went to lower it , it was off the ground. I was truly confused when I saw it. The only solution would have been to put more blocks under the trailer wheels?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
But the tongue jack was already off the ground, you couldn't lower it. We stabilized it, but if we went to lower it , it was off the ground. I was truly confused when I saw it. The only solution would have been to put more blocks under the trailer wheels?
The only time the tongue jack should be off the ground is when you are hitched up. At all times, the weight of the trailer should be supported by the trailer's wheels and the tongue - either hitched to your TV, or on the ground supported by the tongue jack.

If the weight of front of the trailer was supported by the front stabilizer jacks, that would certainly flex the frame and cause door issues.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
Summer2Go

I will check that next time. I let my older kids do the jacks, and told them to not make them too tight, but it's possible they made them push too hard. The thing is, I'm pretty sure we didn't do the the jacks yet when we were leveling. So the high tongue jack was still an issue, and I'm not sure when we discovered the door didn't close. The stabilizers could have caused the door closing problem. I thought I heard somewhere that storing the trailer not level wouldn't hurt anything, it would make sense if the door was caused by the stabilizers.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #15
Summer2Go

And in case I wasn't clear, the trailer was high at the hitch end.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #16

So the trailer had run out of tongue jack on the front?

If so you needed to reattach it to your vehicle, then stack blocks under the tongue jack, then raise again. You never want your tongue weight supported by the stabilizers.

If your tongue jack wasn't hitting the ground, I would definitely assume that this was the contributing factor to your door issue.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #17

I am pretty sure I know what happened.

You pulled into your site, lowered the tongue jack (when I say lowered, I mean you lowered the jack wheel/base) to raise the tongue off the ball of your tow vehicle. Your kids then cranked the stabilizers down nice and snug (and maybe not even too much). You then realized the trailer was not level--too low in the rear. So to fix this, you correctly went to the front and cranked the tongue jack up (the jack wheel/base) to lower the front and therefore raise the back to level the trailer. This is all good, except you can't level a trailer using the tongue jack when any of the stabilizers are down. In your case, while trying to lower the front, you raised the tongue jack (jack wheel/base) until the jack wheel/base were off the ground and the entire weight of the front of the trailer was supported by your stabilizers. This will definitely cause the door (and other things) to have issues.

The good thing is, we often only do things like this once!

Best of luck during the rest of your trip!

MARider
Old 08-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #18
Summer2Go

Not sure what order we did things in now, and it was late in the dark. I will certainly pay attention from now on. My kids always had 'jobs' with the popup. Now everything is different with a new trailer. I got a mini clipboard to make a list for the order of tasks for set up, but I didn't make it up yet.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #19

I hear you. We just had our first trip in our new 233s and had a good first time out issue ourselves (I'll mention it in a separate post).

Prior Campers: 2010 Coleman Avalon HW Popup, 2005 Fleetwood Westlake Popup
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, roo