Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
Summer2Go

First trip and our door won't close on our Roo.

We finally are camping out side our driveway and the trailer door that was working fine, won't fit in the door frame. I can't figure it out, did we do jiggle something going down the road, or is it a leveling issue? We have to switch campsites today, and I'm hoping it closes in the other site.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

Be sure that you aren't cranking on the stabilizers too much. They just get snugged up a bit. If they get cranked up too much you will have issues with the door closing. It's easy to bend the the frame on these ultra lite campers.
Also check to see if the door lock is loose in the door. Good luck!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Be sure that you aren't cranking on the stabilizers too much.
X2. Loosen up your stabilizers and the issue will probably go away.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
X2. Loosen up your stabilizers and the issue will probably go away.
x3.

many newbies crank the stabs too much, often thinking they're levelers, causing the ultralite frame to tweak.

this happened to us with our first popup. we thought the stabilizers were for leveling and we had door closure issues until we realized our mistake.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #5

We've had to pull the latch (as if opening the door) when closing it since day one with ours. It's our first camper and I just figured it was normal. When looking at campers now that I think of it, the doors were always open so I never realized how they should work. It was just on a recent trip with some other folks that I noticed how smooth their doors worked. The door itself seems fine, but the latch is too tight unless we retract it by pulling the handle.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #6

You're not level (either by not leveling with blocks under the axles or by disturbing the level with stabs that are too tight.

Also, the latches are typically "slam latches". So it does take some pressure to shut.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #7

a little spray white grease or dry lube will help a new lock "slam" easier. do all your leveling with blocking under the tires and just stabilize with the levelers.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
Old Fella

We had an issue with our door binding on the bottom, came to find out that the bottom hinge was loose, it was repaired under warranty. They fitted larger screws. Hopefully the repair will hold. The door closes properly again.

Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Summer2Go

We had to switch campsites and reset up the trailer, and it closes fine now. The nearest guess I have is that the trailer wasn't level front to back, the front was a little high. We couldn't lower it with the front jack, and didn't realize the problem until we had finished side to side level. We were there for 2 nights. I need to figure out how to get the butt end of the trailer raised next time, never did that before. Coming from a popup that had to be level for the door to close, I thought the rigid sides on a trailer wouldn't have that problem. So glad the door is not broken!

Old 08-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #10

Glad to hear you had nothing "tweaked" and all is good!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
rbq

Raise the butt end of the trailer by lowering the tongue jack lower. Run into that situation if the site slopes down as you back in and the front is higher than the back.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
Summer2Go

But the tongue jack was already off the ground, you couldn't lower it. We stabilized it, but if we went to lower it , it was off the ground. I was truly confused when I saw it. The only solution would have been to put more blocks under the trailer wheels?

Old 08-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
But the tongue jack was already off the ground, you couldn't lower it. We stabilized it, but if we went to lower it , it was off the ground. I was truly confused when I saw it. The only solution would have been to put more blocks under the trailer wheels?
The only time the tongue jack should be off the ground is when you are hitched up. At all times, the weight of the trailer should be supported by the trailer's wheels and the tongue - either hitched to your TV, or on the ground supported by the tongue jack.

If the weight of front of the trailer was supported by the front stabilizer jacks, that would certainly flex the frame and cause door issues.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #14
Summer2Go

I will check that next time. I let my older kids do the jacks, and told them to not make them too tight, but it's possible they made them push too hard. The thing is, I'm pretty sure we didn't do the the jacks yet when we were leveling. So the high tongue jack was still an issue, and I'm not sure when we discovered the door didn't close. The stabilizers could have caused the door closing problem. I thought I heard somewhere that storing the trailer not level wouldn't hurt anything, it would make sense if the door was caused by the stabilizers.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #15
Summer2Go

And in case I wasn't clear, the trailer was high at the hitch end.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #16

So the trailer had run out of tongue jack on the front?

If so you needed to reattach it to your vehicle, then stack blocks under the tongue jack, then raise again. You never want your tongue weight supported by the stabilizers.

If your tongue jack wasn't hitting the ground, I would definitely assume that this was the contributing factor to your door issue.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #17

I am pretty sure I know what happened.

You pulled into your site, lowered the tongue jack (when I say lowered, I mean you lowered the jack wheel/base) to raise the tongue off the ball of your tow vehicle. Your kids then cranked the stabilizers down nice and snug (and maybe not even too much). You then realized the trailer was not level--too low in the rear. So to fix this, you correctly went to the front and cranked the tongue jack up (the jack wheel/base) to lower the front and therefore raise the back to level the trailer. This is all good, except you can't level a trailer using the tongue jack when any of the stabilizers are down. In your case, while trying to lower the front, you raised the tongue jack (jack wheel/base) until the jack wheel/base were off the ground and the entire weight of the front of the trailer was supported by your stabilizers. This will definitely cause the door (and other things) to have issues.

The good thing is, we often only do things like this once!

Best of luck during the rest of your trip!

MARider
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #18
Summer2Go

Not sure what order we did things in now, and it was late in the dark. I will certainly pay attention from now on. My kids always had 'jobs' with the popup. Now everything is different with a new trailer. I got a mini clipboard to make a list for the order of tasks for set up, but I didn't make it up yet.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #19

I hear you. We just had our first trip in our new 233s and had a good first time out issue ourselves (I'll mention it in a separate post).
Prior Campers: 2010 Coleman Avalon HW Popup, 2005 Fleetwood Westlake Popup
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, roo