Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

First trip in the "new to us" Roo

Had a great long weekend in our 23SS. Everything worked beautifully. What a great floor plan. Lot's of storage and plenty of sleeping space. The huge awning really came in handy when it was raining as well.

I took a shower just to see how usable it is. It'll work in a pinch, but not something I want to do regularly. Especially when dry-camping. All systems (electric, gas, stove, water heater, fridge, furnace) worked flawlessly.

What a nice step up from the old popup. We're very pleased with this TT.

Dave
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Campfire Starter

We to are pop up campers upgrading to a Roo, can't wait to camp in it. We take possession the week after the 4th. How many are sleeping in your 23ss. We really like that layout but opted for the 233s due we have 3 kids, 2 sons and a daughter. Went for sleeping space at the sacrifice of the kitchen and dinette. We normal eat outside anyway. Great to hear you like your upgrade, happy camping.

Doug '71 n Deb 'better not'
DS1 '98 DS2 '99 DD '04
2000 Coleman Utah, since '05 replaced with
2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2002 F150 FX4 SuperCab
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #3

We normally sleep 3, but we had a guest stay on the fold-down couch this trip. It seemed huge after camping for so many years in the popup.

I can understand your need for the 3 fold-outs. Makes perfect sense.

One of the biggest selling points of the 23SS for us was the storage and counter top space. I converted our wardrobe closet into a dresser by removing the rod and installing adjustable shelves. That was the only thing the 23SS was lacking, but with that mod we're all set.

Enjoy your new Roo!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Site Team

glad you had a great time and yes, the 23SS IS a great floorplan. the DW likes that people can come in and out without going thru the kitchen. and she likes the dinette across from the kitchen. gives her even more prep space.

as far as the shower, i'm 6' and weigh around 230 and i don't have that bad a time in it. sure, it's not as nice as a big shower but in Calif. state parks, the bathroom facilities aren't that great. so, we use it often, even dry camping.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

bikendan,

Have you noticed that the first third of the holding tanks go pretty fast while it seems to take much more to get to 2/3? I'm thinking it might be due to the slanted bottoms of the tanks making volume measurements unequal in regards to the sensors.

I took my first "navy" shower right after we got setup and it wasn't long after that the grey water showed 1/3. We didn't see 2/3 til after another 3 days of use, but no more showers. Maybe my shower wasn't "navy" enough? LOL

Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Team

if you're new to holding tanks(i was also being a popup owner), NEVER rely on the tank sensors, especially since you have a used RV.

OEM tank sensors are notorious for being inaccurate and no one seems to have a guaranteed way of keeping them clean.
only installed aftermarket sensors, like the Horst Probes, will you be able to get accurate and reliable readings.

i've only relied on them for ballpark readings and don't pay attention to how fast the readings change.
when i can see water from the shower pan drain, i know the gray is full. when i can see stuff from the toilet hole, i know the black is full.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #7

Ah, thanks for the info!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #8

Sounds great!!!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
kwillmott

be ware of the roo doors and the seals, our leaked and the water damage and mold has destroyed the entire inside of the trailer. Ours is a 2009 and used only for 2 summers.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

Mine is a 2006 and it's dry as a bone. It's got the old style seals.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #11

We have had two boys in the front bunk of our 23SS, MIL on the couch and another preteen on the dinette without issue. Only leak was when I didn't get the tenting completely tucked in at the rear bunk once.
Mr.Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #12

Hello everyone. New here.
I am glad you like your roo. We just bought a used roo a mth ago. It is a 2008 roo 23ss and we love it also. (Our first TT)

I just hope I dont have any of the leak issues I have read about.
So far so good. I have not found any leaks with the bunks although we have only taken it out once so far and no rain for that trip.

I have gone out to the roo while it was all closed up and looked for leaks when we had a nice downpour at the house but nothing so far.

Glad you like it and from this forum and the good sam forum it looks like we made a good choice with the roo. So far we LOVE it!!
SamKitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #13

Welcome and congrats on your new toy Sam! The 23SS rocks!

Yeah, I was concerned about leaks as well. When we looked at ours (2006 model) before we bought it, I went through, over and under with a "fine-toothed comb" and could only find one little spot near the back bunk. At the time it occurred, the previous owner caught it quickly and had the leak fixed. Damage is extremely minimal. I almost didn't even spot it and I was looking for it.

Unfortunately, our first camping trip had plenty of rain. Needless to say I was on "leak patrol" the whole time and I could not find a single drop any where. Yay!

I've also gone up on the roof and checked all the sealant very closely. I touched up a few spots here and there, but it's in great shape overall. Make sure you check/repair the roof regularly for any sealant issues like cracking, screw head exposure and such. Doing that should prevent any leaks form forming.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #14

I would like to comment on the leak issue.
We had the old style seals on our shamrock, which is similar to the roo.
Most of the problem with leaking will occur while driving on the hyway, in a pounding rain.
The rain gets forced inside the seals and is supposed to drain out the bottom, but sometimes that does not work.
We were very concerned about leaks, and ended up ordering the free replacement
Seal kit, from forrest river which ended up not fitting at all. We ended up paying $800.00 for
Our dealer to construct new seals from scratch.
The dumb thing is that we never had a leak before we ordered the kits... We were just being paranoid and wanting to
Protect our purchase. In hind sight... I would not waste the $800 again on new seals, just taking the time to inspect after rain
And dry anything that gets in... Is a better investment of resources I think.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #15

Thanks everyone. Well I discovered a leak. Looks like I will need the kit.
I have also discovered where the water pushes in at the bottem by the hinge. There is a 2" gap between the upright seal and the horizontal seal which just lets rain push right through inside the tt. I could actualy see daylight from inside with the bunk closed. Also noticed that the track that is suppose to drain which it does but depending on how tt is sitting you may have a small amount of water sitting in the track which the screws and such on the hinge sit in this water and the door sucks up the water. This is when I noticed the hinge side of door is getting soft.

But I am not gonna let it rain on my parade :P haha I said RAIN.....anyway I have sent an email to Forest river about the issue and hopefully will hear back from them soon. Hopefully they will send kit at no charge....lol and door. If not I guess I will just have to purchase them.

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #16

I had no luck with parts dep. at forest river. I also sent an email to parts over a week ago and no response. I recontacted FR and was able to speak to Greg Rollins and he sent me out the seal kit at no charge. He stated he normaly dosnt do this since I purchased used but from my description of the current seal install it sounded to him it was one of the roo's with the seal issues.

Now I am just waiting for new seals to get here.
I am also still trying to get a hold of parts to see about a new bunk door and price.
Parts dep. is a pain to get in touch with and kswope does not respond to emails.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #17

Anyone with a Roo and Tuscan interior? We are upgrading from a Coleman pop-up to a 233S Roo, but are unable to get "sample" look at interiors other than cherrywood. For us, it is too dark and no dealer has the "new" hickory or "old" Tuscan cabinetry to show us. I have had to do all the purchasing on the internet with a dealer 1oo miles away. Only one Roo is within 30 miles of us and it is a 2011 23S model with cherrywood cabinets and interior decor that is no longer available in 2012's. I do not ever buy something "sight unseen", but will gamble on the Roo, if we can ever see examples of the Tuscan setup in a real Roo.
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
Site Team

Could the dealer take some pictures and or video so that you can get an idea? They could hold up a piece of blank computer paper so you can compare the camera's color & tint.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
Site Team

Upgrader, you should be starting a new thread with your question, since it's a different subject than the this thread you piggybacked on.

you might want to check out RVW's Roo videos. they might have one with the Tuscan decor.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #20

Sorry to clutter this "thread". Had no idea that it was "single topic" only. RVW's video does not show any interior, but the "cherrywood" and Forest River is in transition with the interiors. "Oak" is being dropped and "hickory" is not available for viewing ANYWHERE. I was trying to get info on the new "material" from any "thread" I could find. That is the only problem I have found with Forest River -- they do not update their website or provide their dealers with "new" samples for prospective customers.
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote