Old 06-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

First trip in the "new to us" Roo

Had a great long weekend in our 23SS. Everything worked beautifully. What a great floor plan. Lot's of storage and plenty of sleeping space. The huge awning really came in handy when it was raining as well.

I took a shower just to see how usable it is. It'll work in a pinch, but not something I want to do regularly. Especially when dry-camping. All systems (electric, gas, stove, water heater, fridge, furnace) worked flawlessly.

What a nice step up from the old popup. We're very pleased with this TT.

Dave

Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Campfire Starter

We to are pop up campers upgrading to a Roo, can't wait to camp in it. We take possession the week after the 4th. How many are sleeping in your 23ss. We really like that layout but opted for the 233s due we have 3 kids, 2 sons and a daughter. Went for sleeping space at the sacrifice of the kitchen and dinette. We normal eat outside anyway. Great to hear you like your upgrade, happy camping.

Doug '71 n Deb 'better not'
DS1 '98 DS2 '99 DD '04
2000 Coleman Utah, since '05 replaced with
2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2002 F150 FX4 SuperCab
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

We normally sleep 3, but we had a guest stay on the fold-down couch this trip. It seemed huge after camping for so many years in the popup.

I can understand your need for the 3 fold-outs. Makes perfect sense.

One of the biggest selling points of the 23SS for us was the storage and counter top space. I converted our wardrobe closet into a dresser by removing the rod and installing adjustable shelves. That was the only thing the 23SS was lacking, but with that mod we're all set.

Enjoy your new Roo!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

glad you had a great time and yes, the 23SS IS a great floorplan. the DW likes that people can come in and out without going thru the kitchen. and she likes the dinette across from the kitchen. gives her even more prep space.

as far as the shower, i'm 6' and weigh around 230 and i don't have that bad a time in it. sure, it's not as nice as a big shower but in Calif. state parks, the bathroom facilities aren't that great. so, we use it often, even dry camping.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #5

bikendan,

Have you noticed that the first third of the holding tanks go pretty fast while it seems to take much more to get to 2/3? I'm thinking it might be due to the slanted bottoms of the tanks making volume measurements unequal in regards to the sensors.

I took my first "navy" shower right after we got setup and it wasn't long after that the grey water showed 1/3. We didn't see 2/3 til after another 3 days of use, but no more showers. Maybe my shower wasn't "navy" enough? LOL

Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

if you're new to holding tanks(i was also being a popup owner), NEVER rely on the tank sensors, especially since you have a used RV.

OEM tank sensors are notorious for being inaccurate and no one seems to have a guaranteed way of keeping them clean.
only installed aftermarket sensors, like the Horst Probes, will you be able to get accurate and reliable readings.

i've only relied on them for ballpark readings and don't pay attention to how fast the readings change.
when i can see water from the shower pan drain, i know the gray is full. when i can see stuff from the toilet hole, i know the black is full.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

Ah, thanks for the info!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #8

Sounds great!!!

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
kwillmott

be ware of the roo doors and the seals, our leaked and the water damage and mold has destroyed the entire inside of the trailer. Ours is a 2009 and used only for 2 summers.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #10

Mine is a 2006 and it's dry as a bone. It's got the old style seals.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.