Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

First trip report - 2016 Rockwood Roo 233S

We just got home from our first major trip in our Rockwood Roo 233S, and must say we thoroughly enjoyed the new camper!
We towed about 1500 miles, from Houston area to Memphis Tenn, and back around thru Mississippi and Louisiana, with our 2008 SCrew F-150. 4 adults in the cab, the camper towed beautifully! I have rear airbags on the truck, and my passengers many times said that they could not even tell the TT was back there! Acceleration with my F150 was just fine, as I could maintain speed on the freeways very well. This tow is about 2 tons less than our toy hauler we traded it for, and we could not be happier.
We entertained friends and had a big steak dinner one night at the campground. The steaks I grilled on the included propane grill were fantastic. It got dark about the time the dinner was ready, and the insects invaded us, so inside we all went! 9 folks found it very comfortable inside the camper enjoying the meal. The wife and I were very proud.
We slept 7 folks in 4 beds very comfortably! We think 9 could sleep in there just fine, and in such a small package (folded up), that is nothing short of incredible! Again, made us to very proud to own this one!
OK, downside - since the slideout and a bed are only on one side of this unit, I experienced an issue with keeping the trailer level. I think I can work out a solution, but did not expect this one. Additionally - and much to our chagrin, we left a small heater sitting on the floor beside the slide when we first extended it when we first set up our camper at out first stop.. The heater caught between the wall and the end of the slide on the front side, and tore the left front interior of the slide off, breaking wood as it went. (I heard it happening but unfortunately, the person operating the slide did not.) By the time I got her stopped, the slide was damaged. We will check it into the shop tomorrow, and I'll let you know how much the estimate is.
All in all, though, we think a 233S is just the cat's meow! We enjoyed it very much, and were just beaming from all the compliments on the rig. Be prepared if you buy one - EVERYONE that drives by you at the campground is gonna want to get a tour inside, and there will be many questions! But that was OK, because we are some happy Roo owners!
I Roo The Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

Boy, you sure had an ambitious first trip. We did about 250 mi on our maiden voyage last year. Sounds like you had a great time. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Take The Road Less Travld

Great first trip and thank you for the information on the towing vehicle. We have a 99 Durango and have been looking at the F-150's as well as the 1500's for our next TV. Our biggest reason for the new TV is the ability to tow through the mountains which seems like to did just fine. My Durango would not make that kind of trip as it would choke and blow smoke before towing 5k up the side of a mountain like that , But it does just fine on close trips these days and even took it to Michigan which was about 5 hours last summer... no mountains that way

We love our Roo. two adults and 3 kids makes for plenty of room for us and the occasional stowaways (friends).
Sorry ti hear abut the slide-out. It happens, I've done some bad things to previous trailers and I have had the worry every time I travel about getting something caught over there. I try not to put anything near that area but things slide back there! I ripped the power inverter out of my popup trailer the second year I had it because I went to move the trailer and forgot to unplug it. Fortunate for me, It ripped out of the interior wall and not the exterior wall as well. My foot hit the break on the TV very quickly when hearing the ripping sounds of wood cracking. I fixed that one myself cheaply by replacing the wall. Good luck with your slide!

Many people are very interested in the Hybrids. I think there are plenty who are just curious about the trailer and the Roo really is the number 1 selling hybrid! I invite fellow campers to check mine out as well when they ask about it!
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Broken Toe

Sounds like a great first trip, but I gotta give you 100 internet points for the world-class pun in your user name.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I like your little Roo...I just watched a walk-through video on youtube. Does yours have the heated mattresses and the sapphire package?

You'll have to let me know if those beds stay watertight in the rain and if the A/C works well in hot weather with the beds deployed or if you have to pull them in.

Congrats!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Roo The Day View Post
We just got home from our first major trip in our Rockwood Roo 233S, and must say we thoroughly enjoyed the new camper!
We towed about 1500 miles, from Houston area to Memphis Tenn, and back around thru Mississippi and Louisiana, with our 2008 SCrew F-150. 4 adults in the cab, the camper towed beautifully! I have rear airbags on the truck, and my passengers many times said that they could not even tell the TT was back there! Acceleration with my F150 was just fine, as I could maintain speed on the freeways very well. This tow is about 2 tons less than our toy hauler we traded it for, and we could not be happier.
We entertained friends and had a big steak dinner one night at the campground. The steaks I grilled on the included propane grill were fantastic. It got dark about the time the dinner was ready, and the insects invaded us, so inside we all went! 9 folks found it very comfortable inside the camper enjoying the meal. The wife and I were very proud.
We slept 7 folks in 4 beds very comfortably! We think 9 could sleep in there just fine, and in such a small package (folded up), that is nothing short of incredible! Again, made us to very proud to own this one!
OK, downside - since the slideout and a bed are only on one side of this unit, I experienced an issue with keeping the trailer level. I think I can work out a solution, but did not expect this one. Additionally - and much to our chagrin, we left a small heater sitting on the floor beside the slide when we first extended it when we first set up our camper at out first stop.. The heater caught between the wall and the end of the slide on the front side, and tore the left front interior of the slide off, breaking wood as it went. (I heard it happening but unfortunately, the person operating the slide did not.) By the time I got her stopped, the slide was damaged. We will check it into the shop tomorrow, and I'll let you know how much the estimate is.
All in all, though, we think a 233S is just the cat's meow! We enjoyed it very much, and were just beaming from all the compliments on the rig. Be prepared if you buy one - EVERYONE that drives by you at the campground is gonna want to get a tour inside, and there will be many questions! But that was OK, because we are some happy Roo owners!

Congrats on your maiden voyage!! Sorry to hear of the "oops". We just love love love our TT and have experienced many questions and requests for tours.

rompinroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #7

Thank you Cowracer, that came to me one night that I was celebrating our new camper with some adult libations! Glad I wrote it down before I went to sleep.

ColoradoRick: I soaked the canvas ends a few times and let them dry in the 100 degree sun when we first opened her up at home. That seasoned the canvas, and it seems to have done a very good job of making it waterproof. Next I installed Reflectix in the zipper windows and the super wind resistant PUGs on top of the ends. With that, we stayed very comfortable in TN and LA, but neither were over 90F, so not sure yet about our 105F Texas summers. Not sure if an upgrade is available for a 15K air conditioner like we had in our TH, but it would not be an overkill if there is. I did find it to be nice and dark in the beds even after the sun rose in the mornings, and the noisy little fans block out everyone else's snoring in the camper, so we all thought it slept great!
Thanks everyone, I might not have bought a Roo had I not read about it on these forums first! Hope I have helped others on their decisions on this style of camper!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #8

OH, yes on the heated mattresses and definitely yes on the Saphire Package! It makes for a really sharp looking rig!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
Also love our Roo, an 23IKSS. Previously had a 232 model with the 4-ft front toy hauler deck. Both great.

Regarding you leveling issue, I find it necessary to deploy slide-out stabilizers on my IKSS on the dinette/couch side to ensure the camper stays level once set up. It really helps. I use the Ultra Fab jacks from Camping World, about $65-75 depending on the size you need (min/max height adjustments).

Picture is the 232 Roo at Watkins Glen, NY in 2013
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141007_182717.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	88990  
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #10

What was the "born on" date for your 233s? I'm trying to figure out when they switched over to the "newer" layout. Such as shower doors??

Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

2016 233 new owner as well

just picked up this past weekend. no first trip until 3rd week of Halloween.
interesting point about the slide and bed on one side might throw off the leveling - never thought about that but will keep an eye out for it.
we have to buy a new tow vehicle, old one max capacity is about 400 lbs more than the camper. so that will happen this fall / before next spring.
ours does have the shower doors which is a HUGE reason my wife liked this camper.
how would I find out the born on date?
funny how some refer to this as a little roo, we came from a big pop up and its enourmous to us - right now until I get comfortable towing it.
biggest change was having no view through the rear view mirror.

anyone have info on the back up camera mounted on the rear of the trailer?
jizmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #12

My born on date is on the sticker - front corner near the weight info.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #13
rbq

Just a thought on the leveling side to side. Leave the slide side a little high & as you extend the slide & lower the bunk it should bring it about level. Love our 233S.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #14

Congratulations on a great trip and thanks for the info. Could you share what type/brand of hitch you're using?
wkener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #15

Born on 5/7/2015, title def says 2016. No shower doors on this one (yet). I kept my WDH from the previous camper, the labels are gone from it, but I will research a bit and find the info. I started out using the anti-sway device, but left it off the second day out, and this trailer towed straight as an arrow. Very little effect from passing semis, I tow about 58-60mph. I like the idea of leveling jacks for the slide, will invest in those soon.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #16

I love having a "Cranky" cat as well, our Vet has a red label on the folder for our Lucy saying Beware!
Old 09-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #17

This is what I have, I think it is very adequate for the job.

CURT 17007 - 1,400 lb. Tongue Weight Round Bar - Weight Distribution Systems & Sway Control
Old 09-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #18

I'm not really sure about this but I seem to remember some controversy on this forum about the use of slide levelers. Something about voiding the warranty? Maybe someone will remember that post and weigh in. And then , I may be totally wrong on this.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #19

Not quite the best idea putting jacks under your slide. If your tires develop a slow leak while the jacks are under the slide you could end up bending the rack or damaging your slide. Of course it would be rare but is the risk worth the reward? Seasonal campers tend to do it , but they usually have added more jack points around the camper. A flat tire isn't going to do much.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #20

yea maybe the driver side of the trailer (scissor jacks and tires) slowly sinking in soft parking material , but the slide jacks set on firm material? I had maybe an inch or more of settling on the slideout side. Now, would this have not happened at all if I had the additional supports, or would it have settled anyway and screwed up my slideout?

The great thing about this forum is that there is almost always someone out there, with the experience, that will reply to this hypothesis.

Tags
233, 233s, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo