Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #1

First Trip with our 233s Roo

Finally got to take the trailer out for its maiden voyage.

I am the second owner to a 2010 233S Roo, towing with a 2004 Nissan Armada. Myself, wife and two daughters.

We left Friday afternoon during the nor' easter going up the east coast. Trailer was towing fine on the back roads but an hour into the trip, we reached major highways and really felt the wind gusts. I'm glad I installed the sway control as I pulled over and tightened it up. Going over the Delaware on the Turnpike bridge was my first white knuckle experience. The trailer wasn't swaying but the whole rig was being blown sideways.

Trailer towed fine the rest of the way on the Turnpike. I stayed in line with some tractor trailers in the driving rain and managed 55 mph without much trouble.

Reaching the campsite, I needed to set up in the rain. This is when I discovered the gutter extensions pour rain exactly where I had to stand to lower the stabilizer jacks! Entering the trailer, the leak I thought I had solved was there. The front bunk leaked and the mattress was wet.

Otherwise, the trailer was fine. Plenty of room for us. All of the appliances worked well. Bump out was dry. The kids enjoyed setting up their "rooms" and I folded down the couch and table since our bed was wet. With all the rain, the tent ends stayed dry once opened.

I see why people complain about the moisture on the inside of the bunk tents. I'm used to tent camping so this was not new to me. We had moisture every morning on the top of the bunk tents. I could have left the canvas open a little but opted not to. Opening the roof vent and the dew was gone quickly.

I found the bathroom way to small but it beat walking to the group lavatory and showers. I need to widen the shower curtain area somehow.

The use of a ceramic electric heater saved a lot of propane. I will note that even with the heat on, I could feel a cool draft coming in from the tent ends.

I noticed the lack of storage space but this is our first camping trip in 27 years and I might need to get used to managing space better.

The trip home was un eventful and the trailer handled flawlessly. My only serious issue is the leaking of the bunk ends. If I'm to continue camping, I need to either find a fix or trade in for a different trailer.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Reaching the campsite, I needed to set up in the rain. This is when I discovered the gutter extensions pour rain exactly where I had to stand to lower the stabilizer jacks!
I just found this out on my 2012 Roo19 last weekend, while packing up!! Fortunately I knew it was coming, and we had slept on the dinette instead of the fold out.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Resident Masshole

I can suggest a shower curtain mod that will give you more elbow room. Check out this post and this post.

Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
I can suggest a shower curtain mod that will give you more elbow room. Check out this post and this post.
What a great set of mods. Looks like I'll be busy this winter.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
rbq

Fix the draft in the bunk ends by putting Reflectix in the zippered windows. You won't believe how much this helps until you try it. Hope you can solve the leaky bunk problem. We have a 2010 233S & have been lucky to not have had problems with that issue.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
Fix the draft in the bunk ends by putting Reflectix in the zippered windows. You won't believe how much this helps until you try it. Hope you can solve the leaky bunk problem. We have a 2010 233S & have been lucky to not have had problems with that issue.
Just researched it at Lowes. Looks like a cheap substitute for the gizmo things to cover bunk ends.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelers View Post
Just researched it at Lowes. Looks like a cheap substitute for the gizmo things to cover bunk ends.
you put the Reflectix in the windows, NOT on top of canvas ends. it's too easy to tear in even a mild wind.

if you feel the PUGs are too expensive, you can get the generic 5x7 blankets for around $13-$14 each. it would be cheaper to buy these than buying Reflectix to try and cover a complete bunk end.
one of these 5x7 blankets won't completely cover the long front canvas end but will cover most of it. some buy 3 and cut one up and sew it to another one to create one for the longer front canvas.
one of these usually fits the rear bunk perfectly and probably would for a side bunk.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you put the Reflectix in the windows, NOT on top of canvas ends. it's too easy to tear in even a mild wind. if you feel the PUGs are too expensive, you can get the generic 5x7 blankets for around $13-$14 each. it would be cheaper to buy these than buying Reflectix to try and cover a complete bunk end. one of these 5x7 blankets won't completely cover the long front canvas end but will cover most of it. some buy 3 and cut one up and sew it to another one to create one for the longer front canvas. one of these usually fits the rear bunk perfectly and probably would for a side bunk.
Would you happen to have a name for the generic 5x7 blankets? My wife is an excellent seamstress. She made a complete screen room for the Roo out of garage door screening from Harbor Freight.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

FourWheelers, just Google "survival or sportsmen or all weather blankets"
they're sold at REI, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Campmor and various internet retailers.

Harbor Freight does not carry them.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote