Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
First trip with the IKSS

Packed up the family and headed to a campground down near the shore for the weekend. My aunt and uncle have a seasonal spot there and we were able to get the spot right next to them. Had some good times with family and a great first trip!

One issue i did have was the water pump running in the middle of the night. I woke up around 2am to use the bathroom and heard the pump running. After laying back down i realized it was still running after 20 mins or so. I turned the switch off till morning but what would cause it to be running when nothing was on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160828_090613.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	118678  

Muddypiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:13 AM   #2
Were you camping without hook ups or did you have a water hose connected? If you were camping without hookups, this is called dry camping, and if your water tank was full while dry camping you would then need to diagnose why the pump is running, I had to look up the pump installation instructions on my pump and adjust it to make it stop running.

If you are connected to a water source while you are camping, turn off the pump, it is not needed.

You only need it on when you don't have a water hose hooked up.

2016 Shamrock 23WS
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
Ahhh gotcha! Yes we had full hook up. I was under the impression that the water hook up filled the fresh tank and the pump ran off of that. I should've left the switch off. Now I know. New guy fail!

Thanks mainframe
Muddypiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:35 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
Actually it's a dealer fail for not explaining how it works, to you, during the PDI.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
Head Rambler
If you had water in your fresh water tank your pump should not have been running all the time. If there was no water in the tank, then it couldn't build pressure and that's why it was running.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
I usually go to campgrounds with only full hookups, but I always travel with the water tank at least 1/3 full so I can use the bathroom or sink etc, while traveling I leave the water pump on, my DW and kid would get fussy about having to turn it on and off. They usually run back and use the bathroom while I fill the gas in the TV.

I did things this way in my Kodiak for 6 years and now for one season in my 23ws. Then I just turn off the pump when I hook up the water hose at the campground.

My 12 year old is always bugging for fast food so I like to eat at the dinette while traveling.

Works great for me.

Congrats on the new camper and don't be afraid to ask for help, 2 years from now you will be helping newcomers with there questions.

2016 Shamrock 23WS
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote